tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Cork U21 Hurling Team 2016 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 15-11-2015, 11:02 PM

Default Cork U21 Hurling Team 2016

What kind of team can we expect in 2016?
Good minor teams last couple of years so should be competitive
Old 16-11-2015, 12:24 AM

Sad that our stock has fallen so low that we're just looking for 'competitive' at this stage!

But you're right. The minors are getting better - they should have the hurling. Looking at last years U21s, their problem might be physicality.
Old 16-11-2015, 04:14 PM

They should be decent and who knows with a bit of luck (which the last 3 minor teams just didn't have) might get a run.
The 2013 minors beat Clare and took Waterford (AI champs) to extra time and some will argue but for woeful team selection would have beaten them.
2014 minors were narrowly beaten by Limerick who went on to lose the AI final as a result of some politicking resulting in the wrong team lining out.
This years minors left the second game against Limerick behind them in heartbreaking fashion after driving 19 wides to 4. Now the 2015 minors won't be the backbone of the 2016 U21s but a few of them will definitely feature. Which means that the 2013 and 2014 minors will heavily influence the make up of the team. No Pa and no Mikey Cahalane which won't help but with proper preparation (questionable due to CCB penny pinching) we might give it a rattle.
Old 16-11-2015, 04:22 PM

5 of the starting forwards in minor 13 have v little hurling done since Cormack/ T Horgan injuries , Peter Kelleher football + O'Callaghan and Cahalane. 14 we were flattered to be so close to Limerick in the end and this yrs minor are exam tied. Irwin hasn't really impressed either.
Old 16-11-2015, 06:24 PM

Jaysus Ned that's very depressing. Will we bother fielding at all?
Whatever happened to 'hope springs eternal'
Old 16-11-2015, 06:34 PM

Hope - Christ next you'll be talking about cycles and mushrooms.
Anyone following Cork underage hurling is a raging depressive by this stage myself included.Even Frank's greatest apologists know the score at this stage.
Old 16-11-2015, 07:47 PM

I honestly believe that the minors have been so so badly managed the last 4 years, it is half the reason we are failing to compete at u21.
The '13 team were very unlucky, but management have to take the blame here for tactics and selection. The players were definitely there.
In '14, we were beaten by a very good Limerick side, but we probably regressed with this team, which was highly competitive at u15 and u16 (Lost AI semi to Lim by 1 point if memory serves me right). While we only lost by 2 points to Limerick, that scoreline really flattered us.
In '15, we went from hammering Limerick (after a poor first half showing) in the first round, to losing the semi. I take the point that we were missing our best player, but our best player is not responsible for a 12 point swing. Management have been poor in each of the last 4 years.
If things had of been done better, we could of won 2 of the last 3 munsters anyway at minor, which would lead to a more optimistic view for u21. The players are there. I'm hopeful of a stronger team than what we witnessed this year.
Old 16-11-2015, 10:30 PM

Anyone pick a team? Off the top of my head...
Collins
Dooling Gunning O'Donoghue
O'CALLAGHAN Cashman Twomey
Cahalane Noonan
Casey Lee Cormack
M O'Halloran S Hayes Kingston
Old 17-11-2015, 01:03 AM

The freshers matches this week should give a little clue what's ahead them lads be of the age 19 and 20
Old 17-11-2015, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franno View Post
I honestly believe that the minors have been so so badly managed the last 4 years, it is half the reason we are failing to compete at u21.
The '13 team were very unlucky, but management have to take the blame here for tactics and selection. The players were definitely there.
In '14, we were beaten by a very good Limerick side, but we probably regressed with this team, which was highly competitive at u15 and u16 (Lost AI semi to Lim by 1 point if memory serves me right). While we only lost by 2 points to Limerick, that scoreline really flattered us.
In '15, we went from hammering Limerick (after a poor first half showing) in the first round, to losing the semi. I take the point that we were missing our best player, but our best player is not responsible for a 12 point swing. Management have been poor in each of the last 4 years.
If things had of been done better, we could of won 2 of the last 3 munsters anyway at minor, which would lead to a more optimistic view for u21. The players are there. I'm hopeful of a stronger team than what we witnessed this year.
Kingston scored 1-9 which is 12 points, so close enough. It wasn't just of him on the pitch as an influence on the game and scoreboard, it was the mental loss of him to the other players who clearly knew they were missing their best player. Minors are weak enough mentally so losing their best player does shake confidence a lot.

Minor is an unpredictable and inconsistent grade. You could get anything on any given day/night from minors. It's all on the day/night. It was always going to be hard to beat Limerick twice, especially going up there the second time. The system is a complete joke really.

Having said that, I do think the management needs serious looking at. We need to start getting the best men for job in rather than 'yes men' as Donal Óg would call them. Preferably these best men would be ex-Cork hurlers from the recent past that have been successful - those lads would icons to the younger players, know success and would be in touch with how the game is played these days.