tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Irwin Apologises - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 19-10-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Irwin Apologises

Denis Irwin has apologised to Sir Alex Ferguson for claiming he was in the running to land the Republic of Ireland job.

Reports earlier this week quoted former Manchester United Irwin as saying Ferguson had been approached by The Football Association of Ireland to succeed Brian Kerr and that talks had taken place.

Ferguson has denied the suggestions and insists he will end his career at United.

Irwin has accepted full responsibility for the article appearing in his name and has apologised to Ferguson.

"I have apologised to Sir Alex," Irwin told MUTV. "I was disappointed to read the comments because it was a lot of nonsense.

"If anybody knows me, I have the least interest in the political side of football. Someone got carried away and the piece didn't go out the way I wanted it to. But it is my fault and I have to live with it.

"Sir Alex has been at Manchester United for so long, it would be hard for him to take another job.

"I did say in my article that he was under contract. Someone put two and two together and got five."

Irwin revealed that he hopes Kerr remains in charge of the national team with talks currently under way regarding his contract.

"I have no problem with Brian," added Irwin, who has begun a media career since retiring from the game last summer.

"All I was saying is that if he does go - and I hope he doesn't - we need someone with the experience of a Martin O'Neill or an Alex Ferguson.

"Ireland will be among the fourth seeds for the next qualifiers and it is going to be hard for us."