tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
The Official Celtic Thread - Page 1044 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 05-09-2019, 09:07 AM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

Busted flush
Old 05-09-2019, 09:52 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSupporter View Post
Busted flush
Good man. Knowing you've a problem can be the first step in your recovery.

In answer to chants from Celtic fans that it's going to be ten-in-a-row, huns sing "The Lisbon Lions won't see 10 in a row". Two of the Lisbon Lions team, Billy McNeil and Stevie Chalmers, died this year.

Alas so many of their support, and much of their song list, is defined by hatred of others rather than support of their own team. The same can't be said of the vast majority of Celtic support and the song list.

While Celtic sing songs like The Celtic Song, The Fields of Athenry, Grace, The Heat of Lisbon, Willy Maley and so on, so many of the repertoire from the ibrox hoards just seem to be songs of hate. I mean who the hell talks of being up to their knees in anybody's blood, or the Famine is over why don't you go home (despite being many generations in Scotland), or "we hate Celtic, fenian b*st*rds", or "Paedo" or any of a number of hate-filled sh*te.

They've a couple of good songs but they used seldom sing them, but now at last with the UEFA clampdown on their songsheet they're going to have to be resurrected - which is kinda appropriate

The Blue Sea(ts ) of Ibrox being a decent one for instance imho
Old 05-09-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post

In answer to chants from Celtic fans that it's going to be ten-in-a-row, huns sing "The Lisbon Lions won't see 10 in a row". Two of the Lisbon Lions team, Billy McNeil and Stevie Chalmers, died this year.

Alas so many of their support, and much of their song list, is defined by hatred of others rather than support of their own team. The same can't be said of the vast majority of Celtic support and the song list.

While Celtic sing songs like The Celtic Song, The Fields of Athenry, Grace, The Heat of Lisbon, Willy Maley and so on, so many of the repertoire from the ibrox hoards just seem to be songs of hate. I mean who the hell talks of being up to their knees in anybody's blood, or the Famine is over why don't you go home (despite being many generations in Scotland), or "we hate Celtic, fenian b*st*rds", or "Paedo" or any of a number of hate-filled sh*te.

They've a couple of good songs but they used seldom sing them, but now at last with the UEFA clampdown on their songsheet they're going to have to be resurrected - which is kinda appropriate

The Blue Sea(ts ) of Ibrox being a decent one for instance imho
Was it fergus mccann who started the campaign to ban fans singing songs
like the Boys of the old brigade and celtic symphony, ? i remember reading that more and more celtic fans were in favour of dropping songs like that,
Old 05-09-2019, 11:11 AM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Let's hope early dementia is as easily sorted.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:05 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
like the Boys of the old brigade and celtic symphony, ? i remember reading that more and more celtic fans were in favour of dropping songs like that,
Still a bit of a hard-core can be heard singing TBOTOB at away games but it's happening less and less.

I think my nationalist views are known here, but there's a time and a place for everything, and imho a soccer match in Scotland is neither the time nor the place for TBOTOB.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
Yes, a campaign called Bhoys Against Bigotry. Of course the songs targeted were not bigoted, a fact recognised by war monger John Reid when he was on the Celtic board.

A law was introduced supposedly to tackle sectarianism in football. The law was drafted by buffoons with the backing of cops who wanted to protect their overtime*.
The law was drafted specifically to target the Celtic support. This is not the much commented on paranoia of a Celtic fan (nor the never debunked paranoia of a Celtic fan). This comes from the mouth of the Justice Committee, Christine Grahame who oversaw the introduction of Offensive Behaviour at Football and Offensive Communications Act. She saw the Act as "evening things up" in terms of convictions of Celtic and Rangers supporters.

This logic was based on the observation that Celtic supporters were far less likely to be convicted of Sectarian related offences. The fact that Rangers supporters were far more likely to engage in sectarian behaviour was lost on the committee. Undoubtedly Republican songs have the capacity to annoy people.... But certainly are not sectarian.

The law was scrapped on the basis that it was fucking stupid but not after ruining many people's lives and livelihoods.

* The majority of the monies allocated to combat sectarianism in Scotland went to a special unit within Police Scotland. Their role was largely to enforce this dumb law which very rarely involved sectarian related offences.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Still a bit of a hard-core can be heard singing TBOTOB at away games but it's happening less and less.

I think my nationalist views are known here, but there's a time and a place for everything, and imho a soccer match in Scotland is neither the time nor the place for TBOTOB.
Different rebel songs come in and out of favour with the support all the time. Grace is more a love song than a rebel song but it's being sung with the ideal of national liberation in mind. I'm entirely comfortable with those songs being sung and I'm always happy that the discussion is being conducted and indeed indeed that people hold differing views on the subject.

The narrative in Scotland is that these songs are sectarian. This is wilful ignorance propagated in every corner, including Limerick's very own Uncle Tom English who claims never to have heard Sean South. He's a lowlife snivelling lickspittle journalist comfortable with lies . It's a lie that has gained traction solely to "even things up". It doesn't stand up.

Where Celtic supporters don't help themselves is with the "sad orange bastard" stuff. I've long gone back and forth on it but maintained the view that a) it's not a good chant and b) is entirely unnecessary.

I don't accept it is inherently sectarian. But I do accept it has the capacity to be sectarian.

Last edited by RebelBhoy; 06-09-2019 at 04:21 PM..
Old 16-09-2019, 02:10 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelBhoy View Post
Different rebel songs come in and out of favour with the support all the time. Grace is more a love song than a rebel song but it's being sung with the ideal of national liberation in mind. I'm entirely comfortable with those songs being sung and I'm always happy that the discussion is being conducted and indeed indeed that people hold differing views on the subject.

The narrative in Scotland is that these songs are sectarian. This is wilful ignorance propagated in every corner, including Limerick's very own Uncle Tom English who claims never to have heard Sean South. He's a lowlife snivelling lickspittle journalist comfortable with lies . It's a lie that has gained traction solely to "even things up". It doesn't stand up.

Where Celtic supporters don't help themselves is with the "sad orange bastard" stuff. I've long gone back and forth on it but maintained the view that a) it's not a good chant and b) is entirely unnecessary.

I don't accept it is inherently sectarian. But I do accept it has the capacity to be sectarian.
When guys are using foul language they tend to lose the benefit of the doubt about the merits of what they're chanting anyway I think.

Grace is a lovely song, and The Fields of Athenry is sung by Irish sportsmen and fans the world over without it ever being a problem except for certain areas of Scotland it seems. Nobody seems to have any problem with TFOA being sung in Murrayfield, but a few hundred yards down the road at Tyncastle it's portrayed as an offensive/sectarian song. Primarily by folk like Uncle Tom English who got run out of sports reporting in Ireland and seems to have a chip on his shoulder about Irish fans since.
Old 19-09-2019, 06:52 PM

1-1 against Rennes.

A penalty apiece.

2 blatant pens it has to be said. Celtic robbed of another stonewaller. Just before the one that was awarded.

The one Ajer gave away was worth about 3 penalties in one.

The ref completely lost the run of himself sending off Bayo for a second booking. The first was unfortunate in that he knocked the Rennes guy out. The second given because the keeper clutched his head after a challenge. He had originally waved play on.... But shat the bed.
Old 19-09-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
When guys are using foul language they tend to lose the benefit of the doubt about the merits of what they're chanting anyway I think.

Grace is a lovely song, and The Fields of Athenry is sung by Irish sportsmen and fans the world over without it ever being a problem except for certain areas of Scotland it seems. Nobody seems to have any problem with TFOA being sung in Murrayfield, but a few hundred yards down the road at Tyncastle it's portrayed as an offensive/sectarian song. Primarily by folk like Uncle Tom English who got run out of sports reporting in Ireland and seems to have a chip on his shoulder about Irish fans since.
A former top cop in Scotland has came out to suggest that Faith Schooling is among the causes of sectarianism. What's worse is that this dumb shit is shared around like a scud book as though it has any merit.