tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Montenegro - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Travel Forum
User Name
Password

Old 09-10-2006, 10:23 AM

Default Montenegro

Anyone here been to Montenegro? I've read a few internet sites but there's not a whole lot out there. Would like to hear from any langers who have been there - heading out there soon.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:47 AM

I have never been there but i have often met Montenigrin's and they were ok also very tall people
Old 10-10-2006, 10:48 AM

Is there a black mountain there?
Old 10-10-2006, 03:20 PM

In the early 1690s a large number of refugees from what are now the countries of Sierra Leone and Liberia stowed away on ships leaving to travel on the trade route to the Ottoman Empire, bound for Constantinople. Unfortunately, just after rounding the southern tip of Sicily, the captain became drunk and stood on the sextant, badly warping its structure. The navigational errors from that point onwards accumulated, and they made landfall on the Balkan shores, some 1000 miles west of their intended destination.

Rather than crying over spilled beans, the immigrants quickly settled and integrated into their communities. Their strong work ethic and good physical condition meant they were soon recruited into the public law enforcement agencies, and very quickly they had their own division, patrolling suburban neighbourhoods on horseback. Everyone loved them because i. they looked exotic, ii. their horses were magnificant and loved by children, iii. they never arrested anyone because they were afraid of being discriminated against. Very soon their brigade became known as "The Mounted Negroes", and so loved were they that the natives named their country after them - "Montenegro".

Later the country was subsumed into the conglomerate that was to become Yugoslavia. Later, in 2006, they were given their own country back again, even though a sizeable minority didn't even want it. That must have been fairly embarrassing.
Old 16-10-2006, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachy
Anyone here been to Montenegro? I've read a few internet sites but there's not a whole lot out there. Would like to hear from any langers who have been there - heading out there soon.
i was there during the summer. id definatly reccomend it to anyone. the touristy places like budva are beutiful, lovely scenery, nice restaurants (i hope you like fish!) and beachs. drink and food are the cheapest you'll find anywhare. weather was lovely (in september, but id say it isnt so nice anymore). i hear everything shuts down there for there for the winter.
theres a lot going on at night on thur, fri, sat, sun, but the rest of the week is fairly dead (go to chest o sheas irish pub in the old town in budva, great spot for a few pints).
i was only in podgoriza for one night and wasnt mad about it, its very grey but supposedly the nightlife is very active there.
if you do end up going send king of the bongo a pm, he spent like four weeks out there so he will be able to tell you more than i can.
Old 17-10-2006, 01:57 PM

another thing, they use the euro everywhere which saves hassle