Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 07-03-2011, 01:15 AM

Default Laptop Boot issue

Hello all,

I have a laptop here, a Compaq C series (bog standard), about 2 - 3 years old, running windows Vista and has a Core 2 duo processor.

When I go to boot it up it starts as normal but when it gets to the page where the windows logo appears, the load bar just goes in a continuous loop and cant get to the login screen. When I turn it off and back on again it suggests that I use Startup repair and when this option is chosen it says it is fixing the bootup problem and restores to an earlier point. But when I bootup again the same problem continues.

Anyone come across a problem like this or have a quick fix for it? Would be great help.

Cheers
Old 07-03-2011, 11:34 AM

sounds like your operating system has been corrupted. Usually via a recent windows update. If the startup repair doesn't sort it or you cannot get windows to start via safe mode then 9/10 it needs a system re-install repair.

It can be done on Vista [just about] but not as easy as it was in XP. Theres a good article here about Repair Vista using the XP re-install repair method

Try safe mode first - sometimes you can get lucky and it will boot into windows. usually then you can do a full shut down as normal and it then reboots. The problem your getting usually occurs because windows didn't shut down properly when you last shut it down and it's generally caused by an update.

To get into safe mode - as soon as you power up the laptop - tap the F8 key until you get a list appear. In vista the first option is startup repair or safe mode. Your other option without having to do a repair install is to try a boot repair .

In the startup repair advanced options - open the command prompt console and type the following

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
or
bootrec.exe /fixboot
or
bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

Either one or all three of those - generally the first or second option will fix the boot issue - if it doesn't then it's the repair install option you'll need.