tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Teachers strike - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password
View Poll Results: Do you support the teachers' strike?
yes, teacher unions should determine policy 9 16.98%
no, teacher's job is to teach 38 71.70%
just another brick in the wall 4 7.55%
erm, Landers? 2 3.77%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2014, 03:25 PM

Default Teachers strike

The teachers unions are calling a strike because they disagree with policy on junior cert. Has nobody told them it's the department's job to set policy and teachers' job to teach according to the policy?

If they are concerned about having to work harder or losing correction fees, they should just say that.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:48 PM
Senior PROC Member

I don't quite get what their issues are. Recent articles don't particularly enlighten me, apart from them not wanting to mark the kids.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppellanger View Post
The teachers unions are calling a strike because they disagree with policy on junior cert. Has nobody told them it's the department's job to set policy and teachers' job to teach according to the policy?

If they are concerned about having to work harder or losing correction fees, they should just say that.
The problem is they'll have to teach, instead of regurgitating the same material year after year.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:29 PM

We were on to them:

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com...d.php?t=228217
Old 12-11-2014, 07:29 PM

100% of your poll think that the people educating Irish children should have no say in how those kids are educated or assessed? Lads, it seems to me that you are getting your soundbites from Newstalk.

If you had done a bit of teaching or talked to any teachers that you know, you would find that all the recent changes that have been made have made things worse for the teachers (in the sense of making the job more stressful) and worse for the education of Irish kids (in terms of dumbing down the curriculum at every turn). I think that this potential strike action is just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Last edited by dboy; 12-11-2014 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: The poll is still active - i thought that it was closed...
Old 12-11-2014, 07:34 PM

The students will be so upset.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboy View Post
100% of your poll think that the people educating Irish children should have no say in how those kids are educated or assessed? Lads, it seems to me that you are getting your soundbites from Newstalk.

If you had done a bit of teaching or talked to any teachers that you know, you would find that all the recent changes that have been made have made things worse for the teachers (in the sense of making the job more stressful) and worse for the education of Irish kids (in terms of dumbing down the curriculum at every turn). I think that this potential strike action is just the straw that broke the camel's back.
If you're going to defend teachers, do yourself a favour and don't go down the stress route

They get the whole summer fully paid to recover FFS and the length of their days are hardly overbearing
Old 12-11-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:

My heart bleeds for them. 3mnths off in the summer, fortnight at Christmas, how long is it at Easter ? Every holy day and God knows what else off . Never heard of a teacher being sacked for being shit at their job , despite some very much being just that. Decent wage and a militant Union to shout their corner. Sounds like the job from hell. Who was it again who compared teachers to front line emergency workers, oh ya Blackie. Funny how teachers never raise these issues or strike during the summer months.

Generally employees don't dictate the terms of the workplace. That poll should tell you much - namely that teachers don't have public support and when you consider what many have gone through with employment this past few years it's bubble dwelling at best and offensive at worse.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:

I don't think the curriculum has been dumbed down - project maths, for example, is better at getting kids thinking laterally than the old-style rigidly mechanical maths paper.

The learning off of essays, which really wasn't a feature when I was at school 20something years ago, but became ever more prevalent in recent years, is grand for teachers to teach and mark (I've certainly never heard the teachers unions saying anything against the learning off of essays) but it doesn't really develop critical thinking, and that's something that the department is trying to address.

Schools have been failing in mathematical and technical subjects for a long time and inflexible non-tech-friendly teachers who are afraid of progress are part of the problem, not the solution.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strict66 View Post
My heart bleeds for them. 3mnths off in the summer, fortnight at Christmas, how long is it at Easter ? Every holy day and God knows what else off . Never heard of a teacher being sacked for being shit at their job , despite some very much being just that. Decent wage and a militant Union to shout their corner. Sounds like the job from hell. Who was it again who compared teachers to front line emergency workers, oh ya Blackie. Funny how teachers never raise these issues or strike during the summer months.

Generally employees don't dictate the terms of the workplace. That poll should tell you much - namely that teachers don't have public support and when you consider what many have gone through with employment this past few years it's bubble dwelling at best and offensive at worse.
they're entitled to it