Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 21-03-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersonic06 View Post
I'd say a few members were happy to write a letter saying what a top, top GAA lad he was. For some reason the GAA holds sway with the law in this country.
He got 5 years, when you weigh that up against some other decisions handed down it is a veritable life sentence. You can argue the judge was lenient with him but if you were him you'd be thinking you were unlucky in getting the wrong judge, as most of the other idiots would have probably handed down a suspended sentence for it being a first time offense.
Old 21-03-2017, 11:32 AM

i remember tomas mulcahy gave a character reference for a drug mule who played with the glen,said he was a good lad,
Old 21-03-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
i remember tomas mulcahy gave a character reference for a drug mule who played with the glen,said he was a good lad,
So far it's hard to beat Mickey Harte defending a lad who raped a woman and dumped her half naked in a ditch. I posted the story earlier in the thread and here's a few more nuggets from the tale.

Quote:
Derry Crown Court heard that the attacker, Ronan McCusker, 27, “comes from a widely-known GAA family in Tyrone.”
This is the icing on the cake

Quote:
Judge Piers Grant singled out the character reference from Harte as one of the “mitigating factors” which led him to pitch McCusker’s sentence towards the bottom of the range; two-and-a-half years, 15 months in jail, 15 on licence.
http://www.hotpress.com/politics/No-...e/9960207.html
Old 21-03-2017, 11:52 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
I'd say a few members were happy to write a letter saying what a top, top GAA lad he was. For some reason the GAA holds sway with the law in this country.
It doesn't.

As part of a plea in mitigation you list anything positive you can find in favour of the person. They are good at their job, they are a good parent, they are involved in community activities etc etc.

People here seem to vastly over estimate the effect it has on sentencing. The Judge must state "I have taken into account... (whatever has been mentioned in mitigation)". This means that the Judge has considered it, not that they have reduced the sentence as a result of it.
Old 21-03-2017, 11:56 AM

Now that kathleen lynch is gone, who could a norrie go to to get a reference letter to get a reduced sentence for a terrible crime.

Would Mick Barry do you a letter?

Id imagine that he types like he speaks.

"Hes from an ardinareee decent working family......good trade unionists.....water protestors.......str uggling......etc"
Old 21-03-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColCork View Post
Now that kathleen lynch is gone, who could a norrie go to to get a reference letter to get a reduced sentence for a terrible crime.

Would Mick Barry do you a letter?

Id imagine that he types like he speaks.

"Hes from an ardinareee decent working family......good trade unionists.....water protestors.......str uggling......etc"
I'd say throwing Mickey Harte a few quid for his local club in return for a character reference would be your best option. Only a true operator could help get a fella who raped a woman and dumped her half naked in a ditch get a much lighter sentence.
Old 21-03-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
i'd say throwing mickey harte a few quid for his local club in return for a character reference would be your best option. Only a true operator could help get a fella who raped a woman and dumped her half naked in a ditch get a much lighter sentence.
👍
Old 21-03-2017, 06:58 PM

Over on the Cork Hurlers thread nobody seems to have heard of this so called inter-county hurler. When someone asked when exactly did this guy play for Cork the response was "Think that was a bit exaggerated. As far as I know he didn't even play championship with the Blarney intermediate team"
Old 21-03-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
Over on the Cork Hurlers thread nobody seems to have heard of this so called inter-county hurler. When someone asked when exactly did this guy play for Cork the response was "Think that was a bit exaggerated. As far as I know he didn't even play championship with the Blarney intermediate team"
I checked the minor teams on his age and the year before and no sign of him. He might have been a sub on Blarney intermediate team but didn't play any of their games in their AI run.