Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 31-12-2017, 08:23 PM

Default Long, boring speeches at weddings.

Sister was at wedding of friend yesterday. Says she had a great day out, except they had to listen to awful speeches that went on for just over 2 hours before they had the meal. Does anyone really want to go through such agony at a wedding ? Nobody remembers most of it , so why bother ?
Is it a peculiarly Irish thing ? I was at a wedding in Italy a few years ago and as I recall it, speeches were few (2 ?) and were all over in 10 to 15 minutes.
Old 31-12-2017, 08:26 PM
Senior PROC Member

We just love to bullshit to a captive audience.
Old 31-12-2017, 08:26 PM

Say something nice about the couple thank everyone for coming and get the fuck off the stage, anything over 15 minutes is egotistical.
Old 31-12-2017, 08:30 PM

Any wedding you will ever go to in the Western world is fucking hell on earth before your finally able to get some beer in.
Old 31-12-2017, 08:32 PM
Senior PROC Member

I've never been to an Irish wedding where I didn't feel that the speeches went on for too long, last time it got so tedious that I got up and walked out to go to the bathroom and took my time coming back in. It takes a certain kind of chutzpah to do that though and not everyone would have the cojones to do so. What I resent about weddings is that you are captured for the entire day, one way of alleviating this is to to duck the Church part, I've been known to do that aswell.
Old 31-12-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxetten View Post
I've never been to an Irish wedding where I didn't feel that the speeches went on for too long, last time it got so tedious that I got up and walked out to go to the bathroom and took my time coming back in. It takes a certain kind of chutzpah to do that though and not everyone would have the cojones to do so. What I resent about weddings is that you are captured for the entire day, one way of alleviating this is to to duck the Church part, I've been known to do that aswell.
More and more people are. The downside is they usually go straight to the hotel and are well on the way to Tipsyville when the rest of the attendees show up.
Old 31-12-2017, 09:14 PM
Senior PROC Member

Last wedding I was at groom gave a fifteen minute speech mostly about Liverpool FC.

I fucking hate weddings.
Old 31-12-2017, 09:27 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry_Mace_On View Post
More and more people are. The downside is they usually go straight to the hotel and are well on the way to Tipsyville when the rest of the attendees show up.
Yeah, you do save up to three hours wedding time though. Any time we have done it someone has commented on it at the reception, aunts tend to notice these things.
Old 31-12-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Yeah, you do save up to three hours wedding time though. Any time we have done it someone has commented on it at the reception, aunts tend to notice these things.
Aunts become members of Greek tragedy choirs at weddings.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:36 AM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
North chapel is great for it though. Tower bar right next door. Go to pub, and arrive just after communion and act like you've been there all along. The ducloyne in togher(rip) was good for it too.

Civil ceremonies, which are becoming more common are fun though and make skipping unnecessary.