Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Travel Forum
User Name
Password

Old 04-04-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Kat Danny Pat View Post
Check out Brooklyn Diner for an amazing breakfast experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
The boat cruise around Manhattan is decent,circle line cruises is the company,make sure u do 2pm sailing though,apparently the 10am and 12pm can get tide dependent and can't Go under certain bridges up the east river..The Rockefeller centre is class for view,I did it during day,will do at night next time,I did empire state at night,it's worth it to see it...Ground zero museum is haunting enough I'd recommend it,never went up the tower,I will next time,There's a few good rooftop bars 230 on fifth(class empire state views) and one next to connollys off times square
Thanks both.

Will check it all out.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:09 AM

We went some years ago, last week of November. Had a great time, but was it cold! It made the beast from the east look like a heatwave. So wrap up well, if you are going late in the year.

The aircraft carrier at the docks is worth seeing. Ellis Island also. The Circle line tour of the harbour is very good also - go at dusk when the all the lights in the buildings and bridges are on - really beautiful. Some brilliant museums there too.

It's a great city - enjoy.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulgorm View Post
We went some years ago, last week of November. Had a great time, but was it cold! It made the beast from the east look like a heatwave. So wrap up well, if you are going late in the year.

The aircraft carrier at the docks is worth seeing. Ellis Island also. The Circle line tour of the harbour is very good also - go at dusk when the all the lights in the buildings and bridges are on - really beautiful. Some brilliant museums there too.

It's a great city - enjoy.
I assume the Circle Line tour is by coach. Where does it start? How long does i last?
Old 05-04-2018, 01:09 PM
Senior PROC Member

Try check out a football game - the Giants should have at least one game at home in November.

I went last year and saw the Mets at Citi Field.

I have no idea about the rules of baseball but it was a great day out
Old 06-04-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffs View Post
I assume the Circle Line tour is by coach. Where does it start? How long does i last?
No its the boat company down by the piers where you go around Manhattan etc on a cruise,poulgorm just recommended the evening one,I only did the 2pm tour....the aircraft carrier is called the intrepid museum
Old 06-04-2018, 08:46 PM

I went to a Broadway show there - Miss Saigon - I never put down such a brutal 2.5 hours! Reason - the seating is utterly crammed - if you are 6' 2", don't go there.

It may have been a very good show, otherwise
Old 07-04-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulgorm View Post
I went to a Broadway show there - Miss Saigon - I never put down such a brutal 2.5 hours! Reason - the seating is utterly crammed - if you are 6' 2", don't go there.

It may have been a very good show, otherwise
Thanks, but I have already seen Miss Saigon in London.

I was hoping to catch Bette Midler in Hello Dolly but it looks like she has finished her stint.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
No its the boat company down by the piers where you go around Manhattan etc on a cruise,poulgorm just recommended the evening one,I only did the 2pm tour....the aircraft carrier is called the intrepid museum
Thanks. Will check it out.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:13 AM
Senior PROC Member

Katz deli is a tourist trap. Over $24 for a fucking sandwich. Ridiculous.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
Katz deli is a tourist trap. Over $24 for a fucking sandwich. Ridiculous.
Just checked Tripadvisor about this place.

"Waste of time
We visited here on recommendations. I have never seen the film When Harry Met Sally but apparently this is the diner which appears in the film, hence why it is so popular.

There was a small queue when we got there which I was surprised at as the diner doesn’t look anything special, infact, it looks quite run down.

The queue went down quite quickly and you are given a ticket and told to go to the counter to order...it is carnage! There are different queues, limited seating and then you have to queue again on the way out to pay. If you do manage to get a table, be prepared to share with strangers as people will literally squeeze in anywhere there is a seat!! I felt like I was in a school canteen!!!

The food...disgusting!!! ! We paid almost 50 dollars for 2 sandwiches (no drinks, sides etc) and they were vile. I am not a fussy eater and will pretty much give anything a go but I literally could not stomach my tasteless, dry corned beef sandwich! We went to a lovely Italian restaurant in the evening, had lovely food and drinks and it came to less than what we paid here!

Do not waste your time or money!!! "