tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Bandon Road Flyover problem? - Page 10 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password

Old 13-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Boys Oh Boys Forum Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONNY1 View Post
Some of us pedestrians and cyclists are motorists as well and pay as much motor tax as you do.
Are you sure about that? Might be the case with 1 or 2 cars, that is not what i am on about.
My God you cyclists are so self righteous aren't you?
Pity ye fuckwits do not take notice of traffic lights and not to cycle on foot paths.
Old 13-04-2013, 05:41 PM

Location: Living in a candy jail Peppermint bars Peanut brittle bunk beds and marshmallow walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird View Post
Are you sure about that? Might be the case with 1 or 2 cars, that is not what i am on about.
My God you cyclists are so self righteous aren't you?
Pity ye fuckwits do not take notice of traffic lights and not to cycle on foot paths.
Same could be said about car drivers tbh.
Old 14-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Boys Oh Boys Forum Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans aus dtschl View Post
Link road yes, in fact Mickohall. It's a high quality dual carriageway. Cyclists are absolutely entitled to use this.

Any other gems?
That is a gem if i ever read one, I know cyclists are entltled to use the SRR, but are you suggesting that they actually do cycle on this roadway?
Old 14-04-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
To you cyclists and pedestrians, stop the maoning please. Us hard pressed motorists are paying for this development.
So as soon as you lot are taxed to cycle and walk on pedestrian crossings, give us all a break, ok.
So you never walk or cycle anywhere at all then? The vast majority of those using pedestrian and cycling facilities also own and drive cars. It's not an us or them, we all pay.

Say, take the example if a woman living in Sarsfield Rd., retired, widowed, whatever. She looks after her grandchild as her daughter can't afford childcare. She wants to bring the tot out for a bit of fresh air in the buggy and she needs a few bits in Tesco and the pharmacy in Wilton. Is she not entitled to give out about having to push the buggy through 6 or 7 traffic lights just to access her basics on foot, given that last year she had easy access via the footbridge? Bit of understanding goes a long way.
Old 14-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Boys Oh Boys Forum Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by koselig View Post
So you never walk or cycle anywhere at all then? The vast majority of those using pedestrian and cycling facilities also own and drive cars. It's not an us or them, we all pay.

Say, take the example if a woman living in Sarsfield Rd., retired, widowed, whatever. She looks after her grandchild as her daughter can't afford childcare. She wants to bring the tot out for a bit of fresh air in the buggy and she needs a few bits in Tesco and the pharmacy in Wilton. Is she not entitled to give out about having to push the buggy through 6 or 7 traffic lights just to access her basics on foot, given that last year she had easy access via the footbridge? Bit of understanding goes a long way.
The needs of the many out weight the needs of the few......comes to mind.

Ok they done away with the pedestrain bridge, fair enough and i can see your point. I imagine that if it was piddling with rain someone would get soaked up there.
But surely it is going to be like the Magic Roundabout with signalled pedestrain crossings. Infairness i doubt if the designers had not though of that.
Old 15-04-2013, 08:36 AM

It doesn't make a difference to me: I've never in my life used that footbridge and I'd say I use the car for upwards of 95% of my journeys.

But I don't understand the lack of joined-up thinking: on one side all the bullshit cycle lanes on the roads in the city and on the other hand making it pretty unattractive for people to even think about getting out of their cars.

The rest of europe's younger population are moving away from car usage, whereas ours and the UK's are becoming even more car dependant.

Speedbird, are you asking if people actually cycle on the South Ring? That would be a yes. I wouldn't do it, but I have seen a good few. I also know of a few cycle clubs who have travelled on it in pretty large numbers. Again, I wouldn't choose to cycle on it personally, but if that's the question, there's your answer.
Old 15-04-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
The needs of the many out weight the needs of the few......comes to mind.

Ok they done away with the pedestrain bridge, fair enough and i can see your point. I imagine that if it was piddling with rain someone would get soaked up there.
But surely it is going to be like the Magic Roundabout with signalled pedestrain crossings. In fairness i doubt if the designers had not though of that.
This is Ireland...planners call the shots, not 'designers'...I assume you mean the structural engineers?

There's a big difference between the Kinsale Road Rounabout and the Sarsfield Roundabout, in that there's a far higher rate of pedestrian traffic on the Sarsfield one, given the density of housing so close on both sides, and the location of Tesco and Wilton Shopping Centre so close to it.

I use the Kinsale Road Roundabout every day and the amount of times I see a pedestrian using the crossings there I could count on one hand per month. However, every time I use the Sarfields Roundabout, there's a large number of pedestrians trying to cross it. Added to that, an elderly man was knocked down and killed there a few weeks ago trying to cross the gauntlet.

Both roundabouts clearly need differing pedestrian strategies.

On the 'needs of the many' comment...I'd see that as more weighing towards pedestrian facilities: 99.9% of people have legs that can walk them or wheelchairs to wheel them in order to use that junction. Far less have access to own car transportation or can afford to drive everywhere, given petrol prices. Ergo, the 'many' is actually referring to pedestrians in this case, the 'few' being cyclists and, to a lesser extent, motorists.

Last edited by koselig; 15-04-2013 at 02:42 PM..
Old 15-04-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Infairness i doubt if the designers had not though of that.
The chosen design of the new tunnel interchange didn't show any Dublin-origin to Cork route (from the north to west) until it was pointed out to them after public unveiling of the chosen design.

They showed this traffic being sent via a dumbell interchange approx 1km EAST of the junction in a revised design. Incidentally that design didn't have any cyclist or pedestrian facilities either (a more honest mistake than the Sarsfield's plan, lets be honest) so the further revised design plans to send all that traffic the same way.
Old 15-04-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koselig View Post
Added to that, an elderly man was knocked down and killed there a few weeks ago trying to cross the gauntlet.
that's a bit unfair, he was ill and confused and actually walked down the south ring itself away from the roundabout crossings.
Old 16-04-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aSilvermountZion View Post
that's a bit unfair, he was ill and confused and actually walked down the south ring itself away from the roundabout crossings.
Might have been better off on a pedestrian bridge, so.