tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Bandon Road Flyover problem? - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password

Old 23-02-2012, 01:17 PM

Default Bandon Road Flyover problem?

Work appears to have stopped for a few weeks and there is talk of a major subsidence problem derailing the project. Has anyone else heard anything?
Old 23-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Senior PROC Member

Subsidence is a problem for Sarsfield roundabout flyover.
Old 26-02-2012, 10:38 AM

I'd be shocked if this were the case. The problems with various buildings in the area including an apt block knocked down 3 yrs ago after it became seriously unsafe would have been common knowledge to the designers. I presume the site investigations were extensive as a result. Coupled with the fact that geotechnical design codes use a FOS of 3 and I can't see how they could have got it so wrong.
Old 14-04-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up4deBaa View Post
I'd be shocked if this were the case. The problems with various buildings in the area including an apt block knocked down 3 yrs ago after it became seriously unsafe would have been common knowledge to the designers. I presume the site investigations were extensive as a result. Coupled with the fact that geotechnical design codes use a FOS of 3 and I can't see how they could have got it so wrong.
The flyover ramp at silversprings needed a big repair job 2 years after it was built. It sank in places and needed piling
Old 29-02-2012, 10:09 PM

feck it - hopefully they can get it sorted cheaply
Old 01-03-2012, 06:19 AM

I was wondering what all the augur drilling gear was doing there for the last few months, in areas which are not being piled.

It would not be the first time that borehole data was misleading.

This is a problem that will cost a fortune to sort out - instead of backfilling the ramps, it may finish up being piled.

Ugly and very expensive to sort out mid-contract.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:20 PM

Flyovers cause problems that we can't afford. Build cycle lanes seperately we have the bike frames.
Old 14-04-2012, 12:31 PM

There was never any problem, Just some uneducated guesswork that turned into rumour. Work is flying along, SIAC Construction Ltd. expect to have the project finished early by December.

Last edited by Interzone; 14-04-2012 at 02:23 PM..
Old 16-04-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interzone View Post
There was never any problem, Just some uneducated guesswork that turned into rumour. Work is flying along, SIAC Construction Ltd. expect to have the project finished early by December.
Finished by December 2012? That would be great.
The estimated completion time on the site is July 2013 though they should finish well before that.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:09 PM

Lad i knew that did civ eng in ucc did work experience when the dual carriageway was originally laid. He said they drilled 50m of bog with no bottom there.

That stretch of road is "floating" on the bog as it is.