Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 17-09-2008, 12:24 PM

Default Migrating to a new HD on Mac OSX

Anyone ever done this? Is it difficult?

I'm planning on getting a new 1TB SATA for my iMac. I have no choice (short of voiding the warranty) but to pay Stream Solutions €100 to fit it, but they want to charge me another €100 just to moved across my data, which seems ridiculous. Surely I could do it just as easily myself?
Old 17-09-2008, 01:13 PM

Yes, it's a ridiculous price but if you can't open the case without voiding the warranty it could be tricky. Do you have an external HD big enough to fit your original disk on?
Old 17-09-2008, 01:39 PM

200 euro!!! tell them to feck off.

first you'll need to backup everything on your existing HD to a ext HD.
I would recommend using Super-Duper (mininova or http://www.shirt-pocket.com/) to make a bootable backup image of your hard drive

then replace hd:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Mac...dDrive_DIY.pdf

assumign you have the original lepoard / tiger cd / dvd, you can choose to to resotre from bckup image (the super-duper image you created) - thsi will copy it to the newly installed hard drive.

keep you old one handy just incase it all goes pear shaped!
Old 17-09-2008, 02:13 PM

Hmmm. I don't have an external HD with enough space to use as a go between.

Have 25gb of 207gb left on my internal OSX partition.

Down to 3.3gb of 25.5gb on the Windows FAT32 partition.

Have a 500gb external drive, partioned; 17.82gb of 389gb on the mac partition; 64gb of 85.76 on the Windows NTFS partition.

To complicate matters further, my disc drive is fucked (covered by warranty, had been hoping to get this fixed in the same trip to Stream solutions), so I can't go throwing on the install disc. As a further complication, I downloaded my copy of Leopard via torrent. I installed it by using my iPod as the install disc.

Anyway, I had been hoping to connect the new HD I'm buying to my Mac and move it all over as is- i.e. with the FAT32 Windows partition as is, with the rest set aside for OSX. Then, once I have it up an running, I want to create a decent enough size NTFS partition, maybe around 100gb or so (obviously, if it makes better sense, I could just do that at/before the migration stage).

I hope that all makes sense now. Is it doable? Or would I better off just biting the bullet and paying those bastards to do it all for me?
Old 17-09-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastesLikeChicken View Post
Yes, it's a ridiculous price but if you can't open the case without voiding the warranty it could be tricky. Do you have an external HD big enough to fit your original disk on?
Like I said, I have to pay them €100 to install the new HD. That's the be all and end all of that.

The question is whether or not I should take care of transferring the data from my old HD to the new one, or pay them an extra €100 to take care of that for me.

And, as I've mentioned, I don't currently have an external HD with enough capacity to act as a go-between from the old HD to the new HD.
Old 17-09-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho chi feen View Post
Like I said, I have to pay them €100 to install the new HD. That's the be all and end all of that.

The question is whether or not I should take care of transferring the data from my old HD to the new one, or pay them an extra €100 to take care of that for me.

And, as I've mentioned, I don't currently have an external HD with enough capacity to act as a go-between from the old HD to the new HD.
Yeah, I got that. What I'm saying is that, if opening your case voids your warranty then your options are pretty limited. I assume the €100 installation fee for the hard disk includes reinstalling OS-X? Can you get them to leave the old disk in there as a secondary disk?
Old 17-09-2008, 02:51 PM

or you could just clone your old hdd to new hdd (you;ll need a pc to do this...)
and it really fast.....

http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

this will do a bit by bit clone of hd, partitions in all.

it will resize the partitions in the ratio of the size of old hd to new hd

you can adjust them after if needed.
Old 17-09-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastesLikeChicken View Post
Yeah, I got that. What I'm saying is that, if opening your case voids your warranty then your options are pretty limited. I assume the €100 installation fee for the hard disk includes reinstalling OS-X? Can you get them to leave the old disk in there as a secondary disk?
No. It just covers them putting in the hard-drive.
Old 17-09-2008, 04:46 PM

Okay- wrong there.

If I just go for the basic installation, and don't pay extra for data transfer, they will install OSX 10.4, tiger.

Does this make matters any easier for me, as I'll want to then copy over all my Leopard stuff as is, accounts, etc.
Old 17-09-2008, 05:07 PM

Thumbs up

Clear your inbox there, TastesLikeChicken.