tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Israel attacks Iran! - Page 7 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 14-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Kappa Kappa is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Piehead View Post
Only a matter of time before Iran give Hamas their nuclear waste. Fortunately, nuclear material is easily identifiable.

A proper war is not far away.
Check out the islamophobia with this guy

Did your mother get gang-banged in a kebab shop or what's the story?
__________________
I'd ride Ireland
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 14-10-2010, 06:26 PM
debgor2 debgor2 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 17,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post
Check out the islamophobia with this guy

Did your mother get gang-banged in a kebab shop or what's the story?
She was skewered.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 15-10-2010, 09:40 AM
leesider leesider is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Down under with a view to above!
Posts: 2,302
Default

well done PP on answering my question on oil......just ignore it and keep spouting shit!
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 15-10-2010, 02:17 PM
ubernerd ubernerd is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 5,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesider View Post
The wars are over oil, nothing to do with democracy or human rights, get that into your head and then you can actually have a proper discussion as to whether they should be there or not!!!
To say the current issues with Iran are just about oil is a massive over simplification at best, and completely misinformed at worst.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernerd;
One difference is whales are mammals.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 15-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Kappa Kappa is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernerd View Post
To say the current issues with Iran are just about oil is a massive over simplification at best, and completely misinformed at worst.
IT's simplistic but hardly inaccurate in the grand scheme of things. The persian gulf is the most important strategic resource on the planet and even if the Americans tried to conceal their desire to control it, which they don't, it would hardly be much of a reach to conclude that the world's greatest economic power wants to control the world's most important economic resource.

Israel is the American's partner in the region, themselves proving their worth when they destroyed Nasser who was the west's biggest fear for a while. Israel is opposed by Hezbollah, Hezbollah is bankrolled by Iran. And all the fuss is because the region is so important to the United States.

In the context of this thread the most important development will be the now seemingly inevitable war next spring between Israel and Hezbollah. Striking Iran without first dealing with Hezbollah to their North is an unlikely course of action for Israel. And of course, within the Israeli military there is a desire to avenge the bloody nose given to them by Hezbollah in 2006.

No doubt the most significant outcome of this war will be the massacre of hundreds if not thousands more Lebanese civilians, as well as the engagement itself serving as a casus belli for the US and Israel in striking Tehran itself.
__________________
I'd ride Ireland
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 15-10-2010, 04:31 PM
ubernerd ubernerd is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 5,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post
IT's simplistic but hardly inaccurate in the grand scheme of things. The persian gulf is the most important strategic resource on the planet and even if the Americans tried to conceal their desire to control it, which they don't, it would hardly be much of a reach to conclude that the world's greatest economic power wants to control the world's most important economic resource.
That piece above is entirely correct in terms of the background to the problems of the region (alongside history itself).

However, in the current context, the nuclear weapons issue is far more pertinent.

That Ahmedinejad's administration is depraved, that human rights are being abused and that the IRI itself is an affront to personal liberty is of course not a good enough reason for war in it's own right. If it were then they would have a long list of countries for invasion.

If we were talking about a GW Bush administration and Iraq had not been such a mess and Iran were not forcing the nuclear issue then I would agree, control of the region's resources would be the reason they were sharpening their bayonets.

However, the current US admin's tactics would suggest going about gaining influence in Iran entirely differently were nuclear weapons not front and centre.

The idea of Iran gaining nuclear weapons is a frightening prospect for most people but an utterly shocking prospect for Israel and Pakistan (and Egypt, Saudi Arabia) and therefore for the US.

This is the primary reason why there is an immediate danger of war on Iran today.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernerd;
One difference is whales are mammals.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 15-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Kappa Kappa is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 844
Default

Yes but the position that Israel and America are allowed bomb the fuck out of Iran because they are uncomfortable with them having nuclear weapons is a contentious one. That's even if you try wrench the issue free of the hugely important regional context, in itself a strange approach. Additionally, Israel is viewed as possessing a depraved government by vast swathes of humanity, its military guilty of grievous violations of human rights and international laws, yet it's nuclear arsenal is presumably supposed to be ignored by its middle eastern neighbours.

This is all very silly when Israel is the state most vocal in its criticism of Iran's alleged nuclear program. It is important to remember when analysing this situation that the view that Israel and America can do whatever they want is not shared by the world. In taking this position one is able to draw very different conclusions as to the nature of the latest 'crisis'.
__________________
I'd ride Ireland
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 15-10-2010, 04:56 PM
pudgee pudgee is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 28,736
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post
Yes but the position that Israel and America are allowed bomb the fuck out of Iran because they are uncomfortable with them having nuclear weapons is a contentious one. That's even if you try wrench the issue free of the hugely important regional context, in itself a strange approach. Additionally, Israel is viewed as possessing a depraved government by vast swathes of humanity, its military guilty of grievous violations of human rights and international laws, yet it's nuclear arsenal is presumably supposed to be ignored by its middle eastern neighbours.

This is all very silly when Israel is the state most vocal in its criticism of Iran's alleged nuclear program. It is important to remember when analysing this situation that the view that Israel and America can do whatever they want is not shared by the world. In taking this position one is able to draw very different conclusions as to the nature of the latest 'crisis'.
Which would be what?
__________________
Our problem is PR
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 15-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Kappa Kappa is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudgee View Post
Which would be what?
That Israel and America are not within their rights to bomb the fuck out of Iran because they are uncomfortable with them having nuclear weapons - would be one such position. That Israel should come clean about their own nuclear arsenal would be another. That further US military intervention in the region may cause even more harm than it has already. That a US/Israeli strike may serve to strengthen the present regime. That a US/Israeli strike may cause unacceptable loss of life and potentially kill as many as three million Iranians through exposure to uranium. These are some.

This isn't a total set nor am I trying to present it as one, but just as the war in Iraq was presented as the only sensible option, it is invariably the case that it is not.
__________________
I'd ride Ireland
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 15-10-2010, 05:34 PM
an liathroid beag an liathroid beag is online now
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 15,712
Default

Funny thing happened to me since my two first posts on this thread Somehow my password was invalidated and I could not access the PRC forums with the past two weeks. Now, if I was paranoiac ????
__________________
A woman drove me to drink!-and I forgot to thank her!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 07:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.