tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Famous people who have been in Cork - Page 9 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 28-06-2020, 12:01 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerchantOfEnnis View Post
Sure George Best played for Cork Celtic, briefly.

A few huge names played for Cork teams actually. Geoff Hurst, Gordon Banks, Uwe Rosler.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...fair-1.3767065

Here's BestY in Turners Cross against Bohs in 1976

He spoke at a Cork city dinner out in the old Jurys in about 94 or 95.

I got a poster of him signed. Lost it when I moved house.

Old 28-06-2020, 12:03 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingin View Post
Chester Bennington would have spent a lot of time in East Cork. He was very friendly with the lads from Cyclefly and would often be spotted in rural pubs around East Cork.

On the will ferrel and midleton reference from the previous page. Will Ferrel and John C Reilly were on the tear in Midleton one day a few years ago. They spent the day drinking with the locals in cantys and Niall Macs bars.

Yep great call - Chester actually got one of his tattoos done in Cork, and the lads from Cyclefly were over with him in the US too. Jesus there's a blast from the past, I'm going to put on "No Stress" now.

I absolutely loved Linkin Park and tbh I still do, so that connection is unreal.

In 2012 I was working in an Irish pub in Germany. I was up at Ireland v Croatia in the Euros in Poznan, and on the drive back the next day I got a text from a lad I worked with saying that Linkin Park had booked a table to watch the England v Ukraine game. I said "yeah sure they have".

Got back to town and pretty much everyone I worked with had a photo of themselves with Chester Bennington. I was sick.

Here's an article about his Cork connections -

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Lin...805a26d24dd-ds

Quote:
THE late Chester Bennington, best known as the lead singer of Linkin Park, visited Cork on a few occasions and loved the county.

The talented singer was found dead at his home in Los Angeles on Thursday. He had experienced international success with the nu-metal band who first broke through in the nineties. He was also the lead singer of Stone Temple Pilots from 2013 to 2016.

Before he rose to prominence, Bennington befriended Cork band Cyclefly on the music circuit in Los Angeles and their friendship endured throughout the years.

Christian Montagne was the bassist in Cyclefly and is now in Midleton based band, Mako, along with former Cyclefly singer Declan O’Shea. He paid tribute to Bennington who he described as a “beautiful man” and an exceptionally talented musician.

“Chester, Declan and I were all friends. I’m gutted, to be honest,” said Mr Montagne.

“I have no words to describe the shock. We toured with him during the height of Linkin Park’s fame but we knew Chester way before that. We met when we were playing in bands in Los Angeles. At the time they didn’t have a record deal. He was a very talented musician and an exceptional artist.

“He was a lovely fella. He came to visit myself and Declan a few times in Cork and he stayed with us. He loved it here,” he added.
Old 28-06-2020, 12:17 PM

Major Bernard L. Montgomery

https://www.military.ie/en/public-in...rracks-museum/
Old 28-06-2020, 12:24 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyboy View Post

Monty? Fucking hell!

Now that is cool. I've never heard that before, and I love my WW2 history.

Lads this is some coincidence which I didn't know when I started the thread off my fucking rocker last night -

Today is exactly 57 years since JFK visited Cork.
Old 28-06-2020, 12:36 PM
Senior PROC Member

Mad that Monty could have ended up invading Cork in later years -

Quote:
Montgomery was ordered to make ready his 3rd Division to invade the neutral Portuguese Azores.[57] Models of the islands were prepared and detailed plans worked out for the invasion.[57] The invasion plans did not go ahead and plans switched to invading Cape Verde island also belonging to neutral Portugal.[59] These invasion plans also did not go ahead. Montgomery was then ordered to prepare plans for the invasion of neutral Ireland and to seize Cork, Cobh and Cork harbour.[59] These invasion plans, like those of the Portuguese islands, also did not go ahead and in July 1940, Montgomery was appointed acting lieutenant-general,[60] and placed in command of V Corps, responsible for the defence of Hampshire and Dorset, and started a long-running feud with the new Commander-in-chief (C-in-C) of Southern Command, Lieutenant General Claude Auchinleck.[19]
Old 28-06-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegillabbeygowl View Post

In more recent years, George Best came to stay, got into a fight and left!
He had a fight with his wife at the time, went straight to the airport bar to go on a bender, and then went straight back to England. His wife Alex, had to do Cork City Hall duties alone as a result of his no show. At the time people were calling into Prendeville from the airport, giving live Bestie updates.
Old 28-06-2020, 12:52 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory_Mike View Post
He had a fight with his wife at the time, went straight to the airport bar to go on a bender, and then went straight back to England. His wife Alex, had to do Cork City Hall duties alone as a result of his no show. At the time people were calling into Prendeville from the airport, giving live Bestie updates.

Best not to mention aviation or airports when Prenders is involved.

And what about all the bands that have played Cork? Jesus we could have a thread on that alone.

Pearl Jam, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Elton John, Paul Simon, Kenny Rogers, the Stone Roses, Kylie Minogue, Roger Waters & Nick Mason, Joe Satriani, Duran Duran, Muse, Depeche Mode, The Cure, U2, Thin Lizzy, Prince, Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen

Like lads, it's absolutely outrageous. This thread would make many global cities exceptionally jealous of the people that Cork has attracted.
Old 28-06-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Leatherette View Post
Zadie Smith had a holiday home on Bantry, might still do.
Still does out on Sheepshead
Old 28-06-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzpatrick View Post
Paul did some recording in Noel Redding house sometime in the 80s, apparently Bowie stayed there too, but I never heard that until I was looking for something P MaCartney just now. The story goes that Paul took out a lump of hash and said that it was all he had for the week and he wasn't sharing it.

From rock ’n’ roll retreat to religious reawakening in west Cork
David Bowie and Paul McCartney are rumoured to have stayed in this Clonakilty home, which has been owned by two musicians, while the White House in Rosscarbery is a substantial home commissioned by a rector in the 1920s

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...cork-1.1417792
Noel was good pals with Paul & Linda McCartney and he had Dunowen House past Ardfield at Sands Cove. Very private and popular with "A" listers who wanted peace/tax break.
Old 28-06-2020, 01:10 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
Noel was good pals with Paul & Linda McCartney and he had Dunowen House past Ardfield at Sands Cove. Very private and popular with "A" listers who wanted peace/tax break.

That's unreal. I had never heard of Bowie being here before. There's a signed photo of him on the wall in De Barras in Clon, so that would seem to add up.

This is a good moment to take a step back and remember that Noel Redding chose to come and live in Cork. Hendrix's bassist FFS like.

And of course look at Jeremy Irons.