tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Famous people who have been in Cork - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 28-06-2020, 12:02 AM
Senior PROC Member

Default Famous people who have been in Cork

For a small city, Cork punches well above its weight when it comes to all the famous people who have been here.

Let's have a thread which celebrates all the global figures which have spent some moments of their life in our fine town.

Please, please, don't turn this into an argument about racism or homophobia or anal sex.

And lads I know there's a fierce temptation to act like gobshites and call it "satire", but if everyone behaves then we might get a book deal out of this thread.

JFK

Laurel & Hardy

QE2

Old 28-06-2020, 12:11 AM
Senior PROC Member

Ok, I'll kick off.

Charles Dickens visited Cork in 1858, stayed in the Imperial, and kissed the Blarney Stone.

Charles Dickens like!!

Quote:
From Belfast, he traveled to Cork via Dublin. He dropped his bags off at the Imperial Hotel, still present today on August 30. Dickens then read at the Athenaeum, now called the Cork Opera House. Before leaving Cork he kissed the Blarney Stone, which is a must for any tourist in Ireland today. Dickens said about Cork, “Cork was an immense success. We found upward of a thousand stalls let, for the three readings. A great many people were turned away too, on the last night.”
Old 28-06-2020, 12:13 AM
Senior PROC Member

Lance Armstong, 7 time winner of the Tour de France...

Remember the time he didn't fancy Patrick's Hill in the rain?

Quote:
Torrential rain and a sore back forced Lance Armstrong's withdrawal from today's final stage of the Tour of Ireland. The American was among 56 riders to abandon the stage as the three-day race finished with a circuit around Cork that included the notoriously steep St Patrick's Hill. Mark Cavendish, the winner of yesterday's stage, was another non-finisher, but his fellow-Briton Russell Downing celebrated the biggest victory of his career on his 31st birthday.

Conditions got so treacherous the final lap was cancelled as only 47 riders finished the race. Downing, the winner of stage one, escaped with Lars Petter Nordhaug of Norway in the closing stages to finish second to the Norwegian on today's stage, but sealing his grip on the yellow jersey.

The 37-year-old Armstrong, who travelled from Cork to Dublin tonight to host a three-day Global Cancer Summit, which opens tomorrow, said on his Twitter site that he had had a "rough day on the bike. The ol' back was not in a good way and St [Patrick's] Hill wasn't looking too cozy". The Tour of Ireland was the seven-times Tour de France winner's final race of his comeback season and final outing for the Astana team.
Old 28-06-2020, 12:16 AM
Senior PROC Member

And who could forget the great Gregory Peck in Youghal?

Quote:
THE town of Youghal feted film star Gregory Peck during the making of the film Moby Dick in 1954 when people flocked by car, train and bicycle to catch a glimpse of the movie idol.

Now, a life-size Captain Ahab, commemorating Moby Dick, is set to become another iconic hero in the east cork town. The sculpture, recently completed by Cloyne-based Mathew Thompson, will become a permanent feature on Youghal’s quayside attracting visitors from near and far.
Old 28-06-2020, 12:16 AM
Senior PROC Member

Norm from Cheers
Old 28-06-2020, 12:19 AM
Senior PROC Member

Jessica Fletcher is another person who fell in love with Cork

Quote:
With a career spanning almost 75 years, over 60 motion pictures, 5 Tony Awards, star of the longest-running detective drama series in TV history Murder She Wrote, the elderly well known actress Angela Lansbury has – in recent years – been spotted occasionally in Ballycotton as she had a home in Conna from the 1970s followed by Shanagarry more recently. Lansbury is now aged 90 and has Irish Citizenship
Old 28-06-2020, 12:21 AM
Senior PROC Member

And of course Carol Vorderman

Quote:
After meeting at a Christmas party in 1999, Vorderman and Daily Mail columnist and PR consultant Des Kelly lived together in London from 2001, also using their other house in Glandore, West Cork, Ireland. After five years together, Vorderman and Kelly separated in December 2006, publicly announcing the amicable split in January 2007[34] and after a brief reconciliation in Bristol according to reports.[35][36]
Old 28-06-2020, 12:21 AM
Senior PROC Member

I have taken to watching Murder She Wrote late at night.
Old 28-06-2020, 12:28 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great-Bit-O-Stuff View Post
I have taken to watching Murder She Wrote late at night.

Brilliant

Here's a video of Johnny Cash in Cork

https://www.rte.ie/archives/collecti...-cash-in-cork/

Johnny Cash not only played in Cork Opera House, he also played in Mallow. You can read about his show in the Majestic Ballroom below.

And yeah it's mental. Johnny Cash played in Mallow.

Old 28-06-2020, 12:36 AM
PROC Member

I danced with flame haired tv presenter Blaithnead in the Crane Lane one night.

You'd never know who you might meet.