tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Jesus lads, 'tis looking like BREXIT! - Page 3392 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 22-10-2019, 09:26 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
As i said i have no issue with this being implemented , Peadar Toibin is very vocal in saying SF actively lobbied The British government on this, I cant say for sure if they did or didnt but is that not an Ala CARTE approach if so?
British threatened the DUP with something they clearly didn't like to either go to the agreed return to Stormont or else the normalisation of legislation in the rest of these islands would be imposed.
DUP refused, so I very much doubt SF would have lobbied the British to go easy on the DUP. But I honestly think you're pointing the finger of blame in the wrong quarter in all of this jimmy.

Had Stormont been back up and running, as previously agreed, then I think it's almost certain that neither Abortion nor SSM would be on the statute books in the north today. The DUP along with the other bible bashers in the unionist side would have vetoed it.
But the DUP didn't want Stormont back up and running for a number of reasons. Even the Alliance Party and SDLP called the Unionists out yesterday for their political stunt.
Old 22-10-2019, 09:26 AM
Senior PROC Member

People in Ireland, north and south, taigs and prods, will have to come to terms with a united Ireland whether they want it or not.

The SNP will be taking Scotland out of the UK after the next general election.

England will end up with Wales and the Falklands in their empire.

Northern Ireland will be impossible to finance for the republic of Ireland.
There's going to have to be a new solidarity tax put on the barstooolers.

Like the west Germans had to pay to re-unify east Germany.

A tax they're still paying - 24 years later.

Grim scenes ahead.
Old 22-10-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostmeringtopaddypow er View Post
People in Ireland, north and south, taigs and prods, will have to come to terms with a united Ireland whether they want it or not.

Grim scenes ahead.
Bertie reckons there will be a border poll in the next decade,
Old 22-10-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
British threatened the DUP with something they clearly didn't like to either go to the agreed return to Stormont or else the normalisation of legislation in the rest of these islands would be imposed.
DUP refused, so I very much doubt SF would have lobbied the British to go easy on the DUP. But I honestly think you're pointing the finger of blame in the wrong quarter in all of this jimmy.

Had Stormont been back up and running, as previously agreed, then I think it's almost certain that neither Abortion nor SSM would be on the statute books in the north today. The DUP along with the other bible bashers in the unionist side would have vetoed it.
But the DUP didn't want Stormont back up and running for a number of reasons. Even the Alliance Party and SDLP called the Unionists out yesterday for their political stunt.
Dont get me wrong The DUP are an absolute disgrace, clinging onto power by their finger tips , Stormont needs to be up and running asap ANG is the only stumbling block remaining on SF side and in my opinion even the most ardent gaegeors would be happy to park it for a while if it meant government was back up and running, asf approach here should be that they are willing to go back to stormont without preconditions , put the ball firmly in DUP court,
Old 22-10-2019, 09:38 AM
Senior PROC Member

I think it's all coming to a head in the coming days/weeks anyway jimmy. It's just with brexit "I stepped out, I stepped in again" dance going on things are precarious.

And the old adage of "Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake" is probably being applied at the moment vis-à-vis DUP
Old 22-10-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:

Grim scenes ahead.

They might annexe Rockall to keep the empire at 3 territories
Old 22-10-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
I think it's all coming to a head in the coming days/weeks anyway jimmy. It's just with brexit "I stepped out, I stepped in again" dance going on things are precarious.

And the old adage of "Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake" is probably being applied at the moment vis-à-vis DUP
List of the DUP’s achievements while propping up the Tory government:

Same sex marriage legalised

Abortion decriminalised

Border about to be introduced in the Irish Sea

Prospect of a United Ireland closer than ever
Old 22-10-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
List of the DUP’s achievements while propping up the Tory government:

Same sex marriage legalised

Abortion decriminalised

Border about to be introduced in the Irish Sea

Prospect of a United Ireland closer than ever
That just sums up how blinded by their own bitterness they really are,
Have they anybody among them who would step back and look at the bigger picture? In one way the introduction of abortion and same sex marriage may dilute the desire for a united ireland with some sections of the community seeing as it is available in both juristrictions now,
Old 22-10-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Grim scenes ahead.
You've lost me here, yes they're still paying for unification but also helped them become one of the biggest economies in the world. Bigger tax bases makes a lot of things more practical that aren't with a smaller population, including the North would tip those scales on a lot of things. It will cost but it will also benefit, don't exclude the American community either, some rich Irish American families have set up investment funds to help a united Ireland.
Old 22-10-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
What is your opinion on sf happy to go along with these decisions? It flies right in the face of self determination
I suppose they are happy to move with the times really. It's happened in the Republic so I guess backing it in N.I only makes sense. It goes with their equal/human rights logic.