FF/SF/Greens, etc 22 39.29%
SF/FG/Greens, etc 3 5.36%
A.N Other 3 5.36%
Sander's Mam 6 10.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
Wonder if there's a big urban/rural divide amongst the greens. Green Party claims to have 50,000 members and to be a Left Wing party.

Surprisingly doesn't seem to have any policy on Health. Transport Policy "Provide a light rail service for Cork" - the monorail is coming lads!!!

"Introduce a not-for-profit public banking model, along the lines of the Sparkassen banking system in Germany."

Is that like a fancier version of Credit Unions? Can't see our movers and shakers in the Central Bank coming out in favour of not-for-profit banking any time soon.

Site Value Tax going to local authorities.

They do occasionally have a good idea or two I think. Unfortunately, it's mixed in with some barking (or should that be howling) mad ideas.

Heard someone say of the three in discussion, that FF hate FG, FG hate FF, and they both hate The Greens.

Hate is such a strong word - wonder what he'd have said regarding FFG's opinion of SF
John Halligan made those comments,
Old 02-06-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallant1 View Post
It will suit FG for another election with the jump in recent polls. If the talks break down, you can say goodbye to Mehole as leader of FF. Who knows what the Greens think.
I think any talk of a bounce for FG is exageratted, they may take a few seats from FF and if greens are blamed for collapsing talks they could lose a few seats, but other than that we wont have a dramatic change in overall figures,
Old 02-06-2020, 01:40 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxetten View Post
Crazy talk. The Middle East could well be uninhabitable by 2050 because of extreme temperatures.

We were told a year ago by the scientists that we had 10 year to turn it around, you're saying to ignore it and take a chance on the boffins being wrong.

I hope you're trolling and not being serious.
Not saying that at all. Not trolling. Being serious.

It is not possible for us to do what is needed in 10 years.
Climate change is real. It is happening. In the next 20 years we will see the start of considerable global impacts - sea level rise, temperature increases, desertification etc etc. People are raving about the air quality and emissions decrease since the lockdown. It has been 3 months. You think the damage is reversible. It isn't. We would need to switch to something like cold fusion, migrate to it completely and shut down all fossil fuel consumption and even at that, it would take the planet time to recalibrate and come to a new equilibrium. Precisely because it is a planetary process.

I am not saying scientists are wrong - they are right.
I am not saying ignore it, I am trying to say that we need to face the reality. Right now we are only trying to put climate change into reverse.
We should in my view also plan to deal with the now inevitable consequences, including massive population migrations, resource shortages, extreme climactic events etc.

We have a massive dependency on fossil fuels - the entire global economy is based on it -not just diesel and petrol - oil by-products are used in fertilisers and pesticides for food production - creation of plastics etc. You really think we can wean ourselves off it globally in 10 years?

I don't.

In that context, we cut our noses off to spite our faces when we leave all that oil and gas in the ground. At some point it will be extracted if not by us. We have not given away our rights to it - we gave away our rights to the Corrib fields. That is exactly what Norway did before they created Statoil. They offered the rights to the oil and gas to their initial developers in order to get the infrastructure built and to come up to speed on how to do it themselves. Once they had it they told the oil companies to sling it and then did the rest themselves.

That is the reason we have not extracted it yet. Because where it is and the depth it is at means to make it economically viable to be the first developers, we have to give incentives. Once we have the infrastructure we can do it ourselves through the Petroleum Affairs Division and create a Statoil of our own. We have a current sovereign debt of 230 billion including nationalised bank debt. We have access to hundreds of billions of euro within our national waters. We have passed legislation in the Dáil to say - don't touch.

Statoil hasn't stopped. No one is asking them to. The Saudis haven't stopped. No one is asking them to. We are taking an ideological stand based on wanting to do the right thing when it is actually against our national interest. In this case doing the right thing is not going to prevent what is coming down the track.

That was my point. Not trolling. Incidentally, the current government hold your position. The next government will also hold your position. So it is not like we are going to reverse the legislation. Was just trying to interject some reality.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:09 AM

Leo has said it will be next week at the earliest if a deal is to be
done, id say there is trouble at the mill,
Old 03-06-2020, 10:19 AM
Senior PROC Member

I think the pandemic has shown us that this planet and us on it keeps changing. What was OK last week is no longer OK now. But down through history the human race has shown itself to be very resilient. Yeah it's probably created all the problems on the planet but it's come up with the solutions too.

Who knows, maybe in 10 years time we'll have rediscovered Nuclear Power or something as powerful and decided that if we want to carry on living as we've become accustomed then our priorities will have shifted to accommodate. Who knew 10 years ago that WiFi would be so important to the lives of so many - while millions of people still don't even know what it is.

This planet on which we all live is evolving each and every day. And yes there are terrible things that might happen to it, but then again one suspects that there were doomsayers back in times of the invasions of the Vandals, the Bubonic Plague, World Wars, Spanish Flu, etc.

Something will eventually see the end of this planet, but hopefully it won't be for quite a while yet.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I think the pandemic has shown us that this planet and us on it keeps changing. What was OK last week is no longer OK now. But down through history the human race has shown itself to be very resilient. Yeah it's probably created all the problems on the planet but it's come up with the solutions too.

Who knows, maybe in 10 years time we'll have rediscovered Nuclear Power or something as powerful and decided that if we want to carry on living as we've become accustomed then our priorities will have shifted to accommodate. Who knew 10 years ago that WiFi would be so important to the lives of so many - while millions of people still don't even know what it is.

This planet on which we all live is evolving each and every day. And yes there are terrible things that might happen to it, but then again one suspects that there were doomsayers back in times of the invasions of the Vandals, the Bubonic Plague, World Wars, Spanish Flu, etc.

Something will eventually see the end of this planet, but hopefully it won't be for quite a while yet.
Are the pubs open?
Old 03-06-2020, 10:45 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
Are the pubs open?
Alas no.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Alas no.
I just assumed that you just left an all-night lock-in.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:56 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
I just assumed that you just left an all-night lock-in.
Nah. It's the lack of routine in work (am only back to work a couple of days a week at the moment), sleep, eating, exercising etc has me a bit off-beam
Old 03-06-2020, 11:03 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Nah. It's the lack of routine in work (am only back to work a couple of days a week at the moment), sleep, eating, exercising etc has me a bit off-beam
Yeah, routine can be all over the place alright.

But don’t worry pal. You’ll be back to touch typing 200 words a minute in no time.