Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 09-06-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorz View Post
I'd say that autism is a lot more prevalent than people realise, but more mild forms of it don't impede a person so their "odd" traits are passed off as just that, rather than being seen as part of a condition.

I think that autism is going through a major "image" change, in that people are realising that to be autistic isn't a bad thing. Sure autistic people are different, but they can excel in many other ways.
Well said.
And as someone mentioned early intervention is key in these situations. The earlier you can get an official diagnosis the better the outcomes for all concerned.
I have a friend who has 7 kids. 6 are on the spectrum. They never copped the eldest was on the spectrum until he was 15 and that only came about when they realised his behaviour as a kid was very similar to their third eldest kid who they were getting assessed at the time. Some are more profound than others but the younger 5 have had the benefit of early intervention and are thriving in school while the eldest lad has a lot of issues of late.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:29 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogwide View Post
https://www.joe.ie/news/junior-cert-english-aoife-dooley-671605

I read this earlier. Never heard of the person involved. Looked bad initially and still is if true, no one should get online abuse.
Apart from slop and that thick twat tg.

But, a few questions arose,
This person went looking for a diagnosis of autisim in her twenties. Why? Apparently some people badger doctors for this.
I looked at the adult symptoms and I don't mean to be hurtful but half of them are stuff that most people have half the week!
Should we be able to get half autism adult diagnoses? Will there be a disadvantage to us if we don't have this.
When I read the girl saying that her friend suggested that she might be on the spectrum I immediately thought that this was the friend's chicken shit way of calling the person a fucking idiot. I don't mean to be cruel but if we continue on this route will not half the population be diagnosed with something?
Baffled.

Btw for people with kids adh disorder completely get that, this is only meant for discussion re adult attention seeking snowflake shit.
Why would you think that a diagnosis of being on a spectrum would be akin to calling someone an idiot?

For most adults who get a diagnosis like this it allows them to understand why they might think or feel differently that other people.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:37 AM

Seen this on my Twitter feed today.

“Guy left his number for me in work today (well, for "pink dress lady"). Gonna text him and tell him it was harassment and he's cancelled.”

And a reply
“Asking for a girl’s number is a tacit declaration of sexual interest, and how is that *really* different from saying “I want to have sex with you!!” explicitly? Answer: it’s not and tbqh it should be illegal”

Same dude replying :
“It is harassment and, frankly, I think it should be illegal”
Old 10-06-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
Why would you think that a diagnosis of being on a spectrum would be akin to calling someone an idiot?

For most adults who get a diagnosis like this it allows them to understand why they might think or feel differently that other people.
That is exactly it.