tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
pink Floyd - Page 7 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Music Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 22-08-2015, 06:14 PM
Jim Comic Jim Comic is online now
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cork
Posts: 36,794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
They were definitely at their best when Waters and Gilmour worked together
god yeah
__________________
Cork..... statio bene fida hipsters



---------------------------------------
CMJ Print
https://www.facebook.com/Choc-A-Bloc...7028939951391/
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 23-08-2015, 11:45 AM
Smaug Smaug is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 23,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
There's live versions and mono versions and the remasters themselves. Not a huge fan of the Division Bell either but it's a lot better than A momentary lapse of reason, which is by far their worst album IMO. They were definitely at their best when Waters and Gilmour worked together
I'll see if I can get a rip of it rather than buy a hard copy and see how I get on with it. DB is probably 10th or so on my list of top PF albums, by no means is it a great album but it does have some nice pieces on it. AMLOR is probably their worst offering in all fairness but there are still a few tunes on it that are OKish.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Comic View Post
god yeah
Lyrically, they were totally fucked without Roger but then again, people hated The Final Cut also, not me tho
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by doolaly View Post
...aye, Smaug is fussy about the kind of jigsaw he makes....
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 24-08-2015, 07:52 PM
Lee Bushwacker Lee Bushwacker is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ireland and Europe
Posts: 26,681
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
There's live versions and mono versions and the remasters themselves. Not a huge fan of the Division Bell either but it's a lot better than A momentary lapse of reason, which is by far their worst album IMO. They were definitely at their best when Waters and Gilmour worked together

Top class stuff Eoin.
Division Bell was only average compared to their best stuff. The Waters/Gilmour period was certainly the groups best.
__________________
ABUs are a sandwich short of a picnic!
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 24-08-2015, 09:32 PM
Smaug Smaug is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 23,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bushwacker View Post

Top class stuff Eoin.
Division Bell was only average compared to their best stuff. The Waters/Gilmour period was certainly the groups best.
Being average next to their best stuff, would make it great on the scale of music that is not PF.


New album, The Endless River, what did the lads on here think of it?

I find it quite good, touches on all the eras of PF's sound and the fact that is instrumental, suits me down to the ground.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by doolaly View Post
...aye, Smaug is fussy about the kind of jigsaw he makes....
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 25-08-2015, 05:10 AM
Eoin Eoin is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Dublin
Posts: 30,131
Default

Only had a brief listen but I liked what I heard tbh, must give it a proper listen again actually
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 25-08-2015, 07:21 AM
Lunatic Fringe Lunatic Fringe is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Cut n paste city
Posts: 3,420
Default

Amused to death reissue sounds great

Must check out more of their solo stuff
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 25-08-2015, 09:11 AM
Smaug Smaug is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 23,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic Fringe View Post
Amused to death reissue sounds great

Must check out more of their solo stuff
Didn't know it was out yet must check it out, the original was v good. From Waters, Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking and Radio Kaos are worth checking out.

Gilmour's first 2 albums are a bit meh but On An Island from 2006 is real good. Forget anything Rick Wright did solo wise, all pretty terrible imo.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by doolaly View Post
...aye, Smaug is fussy about the kind of jigsaw he makes....
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 25-08-2015, 09:11 AM
Smaug Smaug is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 23,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
Only had a brief listen but I liked what I heard tbh, must give it a proper listen again actually
It's worth a good blast.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by doolaly View Post
...aye, Smaug is fussy about the kind of jigsaw he makes....
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 25-08-2015, 09:20 AM
Jim Comic Jim Comic is online now
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cork
Posts: 36,794
Default

a mate lent me the 'pigs might fly' book last week, hope to plough through it on xmas hols, looks mighty good
__________________
Cork..... statio bene fida hipsters



---------------------------------------
CMJ Print
https://www.facebook.com/Choc-A-Bloc...7028939951391/
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 25-08-2015, 10:31 AM
Lee Bushwacker Lee Bushwacker is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ireland and Europe
Posts: 26,681
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
Being average next to their best stuff, would make it great on the scale of music that is not PF.


New album, The Endless River, what did the lads on here think of it?

I find it quite good, touches on all the eras of PF's sound and the fact that is instrumental, suits me down to the ground.

It's normal to compare a group's work to it's other works. How it compares to Crystal Swing is hardly the point.
Division Bell isn't great on any scale of music i.m.h.o.
Endless River seems to be decent enough but I need to listen to it more t.b.h.
__________________
ABUs are a sandwich short of a picnic!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




CIT Battle Of The Bands

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼







All times are GMT. The time now is 02:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.