tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Cork Hurlers - Part 2 - Page 3497 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 19-07-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesball View Post
if Donal og was appointed the new manager how many of ye would mot support him?
Of course I would support him if he was manager but the question is would I support him in becoming the manager???.......... .don't know, I do think we needs someone with his fanaticism as I have said previously but he could be too divisive as a number of people have mentioned. A Keith Ricken type character would be my choice but who that is for the hurlers I don't know!
Old 19-07-2019, 07:09 PM
PROC Member

A lot of sensible posts here in relation to Donal. Too soon and needs to prove himself elsewhere as a coach first seems to be the consensus.

He has coached Cloyne for years and they've done ok. One point about serving his time with under age Cork squads, I agree but would he be brought in?
Old 19-07-2019, 07:19 PM
Senior PROC Member

Lads, if there's going to be a change of manager, and that has yet to be confirmed, it will be another Barr's man in Ger Cunningham. He didn't cover himself in glory in Dublin but the guy has as sharp a hurling brain as anyone. I'd worry he will continue with the over reliance on the short passing game but you could say that about any of the contenders
Old 19-07-2019, 07:23 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROCNA2018 View Post
So you're saying play puke hurling............. how did we not see this all along? Did you not see Hoggie last weekend make shit of the KK defence?
I would prefer to play, what you describe as, puke hurling, and win. Are you saying we should continue with the present losing system.
Old 19-07-2019, 07:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by red&blue View Post
Lads, if there's going to be a change of manager, and that has yet to be confirmed, it will be another Barr's man in Ger Cunningham. He didn't cover himself in glory in Dublin but the guy has as sharp a hurling brain as anyone. I'd worry he will continue with the over reliance on the short passing game but you could say that about any of the contenders
He would be out the gap at the sniff of paying job elsewhere like 2013
Old 19-07-2019, 08:03 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarlofPearl View Post
He would be out the gap at the sniff of paying job elsewhere like 2013
Now now be nice 😀
Old 19-07-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan ball View Post
Cody hasn't won an all-ireland since 2015, the game has moved on immeasurably since then. The winning system is the one Limerick have adopted. KK have won nowt only beaten a Cork team who performed dreadfully on the day. KK will not be going beyond the semi-final.
The fundamentals of the game haven't changed and to suggest that Cork were beaten because they performed dreadfully on the day is a pathetic excuse.
Old 19-07-2019, 09:01 PM

Also put this in the Donal og thread but I think the points are valid

Anyone interested in the job would want to take it right now, the main reason being Patrick Horgan has one maybe two at most years left performing at this level, also it's the perfect time to cut the deadwood from the panel who have been tried and not delivered and this will not be questioned and finally there is a decent crop of hurlers in the county between 18 and 21 and the new manager would be getting these in their most formative Intercounty years ....all this put together would basically give the new manager a free pass for the first year with a rebuilding process therefore I think Cusack wants it now and I can't think of anyone better off the top of my head, you need an element of the madness as we see with all good Intercounty managers and I include Jim Gavin in that mad in a different way, he could bring a few guys with him coaching experience etc.
Old 19-07-2019, 09:07 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gougane View Post
The fundamentals of the game haven't changed and to suggest that Cork were beaten because they performed dreadfully on the day is a pathetic excuse.
I agree, and that is why I am suggesting in my posts, that Cork have to face up to reality and ditch the losing system of the last 15 years, and adopt the proven Cody winning system as defined in my post numbers 34924 and 34938.

Why have the Cork management failed to adopt the winning Cody system. I would love for someone to tell me.
Old 19-07-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penman View Post
Limerick, Galway and Tipp have won the 3 recent finals, because they adopted the Cody system of gang tackling the opponent in possession. It took a long time for these 3 counties to realise that they had to adopt the Cody system. That is why Cody won 8 out of 10 finals between 2006 & 2015 - because no other county had adopted the gang tackling system of playing - and this made it easier for Cody to win. Cody had the analytical brains to come up with this system, and it has taken 10 years for Limerick, Tipp & Galway to copy it. Cork have still not copied it, and will continue to lose until they do copy it.
There is a lot of comment here about Cork changing the Manager - it is the Cork coaching system that has to change to the Cody gang tackling system. If we appoint a new manager who doesnt see this, and continues with the same losing system, we will continue to lose. We need to focus on the system of hurling that our team is coached to play. A blind man can see that the Cody system has been the proven successful system over the last 15 years. Limerick, Tipp & Galway are now in with a better chance of competing with Kilkenny, because they are playing Kilkenny with the system that they had to themselves for 10 years, before these 3 counties woke up to it. Kilkenny will continue to be a force for as long as they stick with the Cody system, and only counties adopting the same system will have a chance of beating them.
Why have the Cork management failed to adopt the winning Cody system. I would love for someone to tell me.
Except Limerick aren't playing the system you described. They make heavy use of short passing in their own half, to find a teammate with space to look up and play a longer ball into the forwards. All teams do this to some extent at inter county now,though Limerick probably put more emphasis on it than most.

Absolutely no doubt that Limerick put savage pressure on the opposition, mind, and that's clearly something which Cody's KK brought into the game. I would say rather than slavishly copying the way Kk play, or for that matter how the current Limerick team play, Cork need to take what works for other teams and apply it, but bearing in mind the strengths and weaknesses of the players available. As Gougane rightly pointed out, players' abilities aren't set in stone and can be improved through coaching - but that takes time and in any case there is no point treating players like blank canvasses. Whoever is on the next management team- and I think a change is needed - I hope they have a clear overall plan as to how they would like the team to play, but a detailed knowledge of the club scene and a willingness to adapt their plan in its details to make the best use of the players available.