The Greens say YES! - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 13-06-2007, 09:10 PM

Default The Greens say YES!

Green members vote for FF deal
Wednesday, 13 June 2007 22:04
Green Party members have voted by over 86% to go into Government with Fianna Fáil.

Of the 510 members who voted, 441 voted to accept the deal after studying the draft programme for government.

67 voted against and there were two spoiled votes.

Trevor Sargent has resigned as leader of the party following tonight's vote.

Mr Sargent, who had strongly supported entering government, said this was the proudest day of his life and said courage had won out over caution.

He said he would serve as acting leader until a replacement is elected and that in a spirit of partnership he would second the nomination of Bertie Ahern as Taoiseach tomorrow.

He also said the Green Party would continue to work on behalf of the people of Iraq and of those who wish to reroute the M3 Motorway away from the Tara Valley.

FF gives backing for coalition deal

The Fianna Fáil parliamentary party has also given its approval to the deal.

Following a meeting with the parliamentary party this afternoon, Fianna Fáil's Deputy Leader, Brian Cowen, told reporters that there had been unanimous backing from the meeting for the deal.

Speaking on RTÉ's Six One news this evening, Mr Cowen confirmed that the proposed coalition deal included the Progressive Democrats.

Asked if the deal included the PDs in government, specifically Mary Harney at the cabinet table, Mr Cowen replied, 'yes'.

The Taoiseach's objective, he said, from the outset was to provide a broad-based coalition that would have the support of the three parties and Independents.

Meanwhile, Independent TDs, Finian McGrath and Michael Lowry have both confirmed they will vote for Bertie Ahern as Taoiseach when the Dáil meets tomorrow. Independent TD Jackie Healy-Rae has also concluded a deal with Mr Ahern.

I think Rooney has the potential to be a great midfield player
Old 13-06-2007, 09:12 PM

Location: Just short of half way on the road less travelled ...

Greens smash economy!
Old 13-06-2007, 09:15 PM

Huh. The Greens and the PDs both in Government? Next few months should be interesting, anyway.

Who'll be Tanáiste, I wonder?
Old 13-06-2007, 09:43 PM

if dan boyle was elected..he would have been the new party leader id say! a well
Old 13-06-2007, 09:48 PM

Heh heh.

The construction sector party saddled with the Greens.

Sweet irony.

FF's populist nonsense is going to come back and bite them on the ass after this.
Old 13-06-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockic View Post
if dan boyle was elected..he would have been the new party leader id say! a well
Hi, Dan!
Old 13-06-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockic View Post

does the party leader need to be a t.d.? if not then i wouldn't be at all surprised to see dbxtd as greens party leader in a few days.

---------------------------------------
CMJ Print
https://www.facebook.com/Choc-A-Bloc...7028939951391/
Old 15-04-2017, 03:17 PM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

Talking

Dan Boyle might become a monk

'I'm thrilled for him' - former Green Party leader Trevor Sargent aiming to become Church of Ireland priest

Sargent led the political party for six years between 2001 and 2007.

Quote:
FORMER GREEN PARTY leader Trevor Sargent is set to become a minister of the faith in the Church of Ireland.
In an interview with today’s Irish Independent Review magazine, Sargent confirms that he is training as an ordinand at the Church of Ireland Theological Institute, while simultaneously studying for a Theology Masters at Trinity College Dublin.
Should all go to plan, Sargent would first become a deacon before then ascending to the priesthood.
Sargent led the Green Party for six years between 2001 and 2007. He served as Minister for Horticulture in the following government before losing his seat in Dublin North in the 2011 election.
He now lives in Wexford where he works in organic horticulture.
Today, current Greens leader Eamon Ryan said that he is “thrilled” for his former colleague.
“As a friend and colleague, I’m thrilled for Trevor,” he said this afternoon.
I think it’s a natural fit for him, it’s not a surprise. I think it’ll be great for him.
Ryan added that the party, whom Sargent continues to informally advise as a committed environmentalist, were aware of the direction he was taking.
“We knew of his interest in theology and the Church of Ireland of course,” he said.
I think there’s a connection there, between green politics and a certain kind of spirituality. It makes a lot of sense for Trevor, and I’m thrilled for him.
http://www.thejournal.ie/trevor-sarg...facebook_short
Old 16-04-2017, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
Dan Boyle might become a monk

'I'm thrilled for him' - former Green Party leader Trevor Sargent aiming to become Church of Ireland priest

Sargent led the political party for six years between 2001 and 2007.

http://www.thejournal.ie/trevor-sarg...facebook_short

He's apparently fluent in Esperanto too.

If he was to become a Garda and climb up the ranks, he'd be known as Sergeant Sargent
Old 15-09-2019, 07:36 PM
Senior PROC Member

THE Green Party has proposed hiking up people's property tax payments by 15% as part of a drive to make Cork the electric bike capital of Europe within 10 years!!

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Gre...a6f5e49cfa7-ds

Last edited by LarryDavid; 16-09-2019 at 10:08 AM..