tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
O Donovan Rossa v Eire Og replay - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 26-11-2019, 12:08 PM
bluesball bluesball is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,170
Default O Donovan Rossa v Eire Og replay

any of ye at it, official attendance was 26k approx. but main gate was opened to leave thousands more in due to the crush outside. A buddy of mine who was teaching in Carlow went to the game on a club bus which did not get back to Carlow until 5am the following morning. Skibb had some team that time.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 26-11-2019, 12:47 PM
cooldude cooldude is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 924
Default

Yes, and also at the draw in Croker.
Those were the day's when men were men, and wimmin were proud of um.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 26-11-2019, 02:21 PM
CORK1990 CORK1990 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesball View Post
any of ye at it, official attendance was 26k approx. but main gate was opened to leave thousands more in due to the crush outside. A buddy of mine who was teaching in Carlow went to the game on a club bus which did not get back to Carlow until 5am the following morning. Skibb had some team that time.
Was at the replay in Limerick Anthony Davis and Mick McCarthy r.i.p. were the leaders of that Skibb team...the only West Cork team to win An All-Ireland club Championship its great for them to have that over the neighbours
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 26-11-2019, 02:22 PM
Maw Maw Maw Maw is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude View Post
Yes, and also at the draw in Croker.
Those were the day's when men were men, and wimmin were proud of um.
Watched the Cork V Meath 88 replay the other day, tough game. It was very much a hit and hope style of football
Stafford got some handy frees off Sugrue the bollox
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26-11-2019, 03:08 PM
keamoresouth keamoresouth is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,021
Default

Remember the drawn match in Croker:

The legions of buses passing our house from 4am to get to Cork to get the train
How empty the streets in Skibb were
The train we were on being pushed up Kilbarry hill all the way to Connolly Station (went under the Phoenix Park tunnel)
Lining up behind St Fachtnas Silver Band outside Connolly Station and matching up Amiens St

Limerick then a few weeks later. A neighbour of ours had invented a gas powered car which broke down several times on the road up!
The pitch was muck I remember and the brouhaha at the end with the disallowed goal for Eire Og.
And then the journey back Wesht that night at about 3am.

Memorable to say the least!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 26-11-2019, 03:59 PM
rebel bike rebel bike is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 206
Default

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4eaal-tuG0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X95FpE38Vk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26-11-2019, 07:53 PM
Kool Kat Danny Pat Kool Kat Danny Pat is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keamoresouth View Post
Remember the drawn match in Croker:

The legions of buses passing our house from 4am to get to Cork to get the train
How empty the streets in Skibb were
The train we were on being pushed up Kilbarry hill all the way to Connolly Station (went under the Phoenix Park tunnel)
Lining up behind St Fachtnas Silver Band outside Connolly Station and matching up Amiens St

Limerick then a few weeks later. A neighbour of ours had invented a gas powered car which broke down several times on the road up!
The pitch was muck I remember and the brouhaha at the end with the disallowed goal for Eire Og.
And then the journey back Wesht that night at about 3am.

Memorable to say the least!
Hello Keamore, great report and I love the nineties match and trip reports. It's hard to beat the nineties for nostalgia. Skibereen would have been hopping for sure that night.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 26-11-2019, 11:41 PM
meetyouatgrandparade meetyouatgrandparade is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 419
Default

It’s almost too easy to drive to Dublin these days with the motorway. Back then it must have taken 6/7 hours to get there by car from Skibb. Proper voyage. You can’t beat the club games. Looking at the Munster club hurling final last wkd was some spectacle.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




Tony Milner

The Welcome Inn, Tomorrow @ 10:30pm

More events ▼






tester
All times are GMT. The time now is 05:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.