tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Sounds from a safe harbour fest - Page 6 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Music Forum
User Name
Password

Old 21-09-2015, 06:23 PM

Also, went to Talos in the Bonded Warehouse in the Port yesterday - what a show that was. I hope they continue to make use of those.

Caught the showcase in the Everyman after. So Percussion are a lot of fun.
Old 21-09-2015, 06:42 PM

Wild Beasts were on stage at 12.30 and dont know what time they played till as had to leave 1.10am. they had seats out downstairs and good crowd standing .
Old 21-09-2015, 08:30 PM

Finished at about 1:35 am I guess- lot of tired folk (including me so might be off with time!), including the band. Nice feelgood vibes for final gig of 18 month (!) tour. They rocked.
Old 22-09-2015, 12:49 AM

so apart from the gloaming and lisa hannigan acts being busy - where there many people at any other events?
Old 22-09-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
so apart from the gloaming and lisa hannigan acts being busy - where there many people at any other events?
Brian Deadys gig in the Bodega was very busy. as soon as he finished the crowd left though. by 9pm id say there was barely 25 people in the place so the crowd obviously was following the trail.

The Franks gig was moderately busy at the bonded warehouses/harbour commissioners on Sat afternoon. They played on the back of the LE Ciara. Id say Ireland v Canada must have kept some away.

Only 50 turned up for the Lords of Strutt secret rave on Fri night even tho about 700 signed up to go on Failbook. Seems Inspire took from it.
Old 22-09-2015, 10:04 AM

The Everyman showcase on Sunday filled up a bit as the night went on. Upstairs was packed by the end, don't know about downstairs. The Saturday night in the Opera House with the RTE NSO had a lot of empty seats but sold moderately well.

Article in d'Echo last week said most of it was covered by sponsorship and that anyway so there wasn't too much chance of a financial disaster.

The music trail attracted some very good crowds but people were following it so none of the venues stayed busy after.

I'd say there'd have been a few more around the Port on Sunday for the food, etc if the rain wasn't so bad. That said, the Talos gig had a very big crowd at it.

I'd say as the first year of a festival, it looked decent enough to me.

Something to consider if they do future installments might be that every single event catered to the same crowd and, since many were on at the same time, this clearly took away from events. I regularly saw huge sections of the audience get up and leave events around the same time to make it across town for the next one. I'd have loved to get to the Triskel on Sunday, too, but the Everyman showcase ran over and I didn't think I'd get in since it was booked out according to Facebook.

Maybe if there was another year of it, go for a few different types of events or bands. I'm talking now get someone like Girl Band (who are playing the Pav in a few weeks) or the Altered Hours on stage at the same time as some of the orchestral stuff. Likely to be very little crossover in the crowds, very attainable bands and might draw out some more people.

The music trail could be expanded next year - have a day of music on in each place and that way the pubs might stay busier. Again, go for a few different styles to keep people happy. I don't know if it'd be possible but I think it'd be a good idea rather than seeing the Bodega fill up for 2 hours and clear out instantly.
Old 22-09-2015, 12:06 PM

Can only say what I saw myself, but most events did really well crowd-wise. COH gigs did well, was surprised at the good turnout for Wild Beasts on Sunday night. Crane Lane seemed to be busy whatever time I rocked in there, Villagers was stuffed at St Luke's on Friday night, Bonded Warehouse shows were all pretty lively anytime I stopped by.

James McVinnie, Nadia Sirota and Valgeir Sigurdsson was really cool at St Fin Barre's Cathedral, and despite the shit weather, had a couple of hundred people walk up to it. Sam Amidon and Crash Ensemble had downstairs full and some of upstairs at the Everyman on Saturday night. Beth Orton walking out for a couple of tracks was a big surprise. Was sorry I missed the Sunday night showcase there, but it was hard to get to everything. Judging by the pics from the Triskel for Eat My Noise's 'Carinae', it looked jointed. For a first time festival and something that ain't exactly mainstream it was a great success.

I got to help row a long boat from Port of Cork up to St Patrick's Bridge. That was a buzz. As were the free oysters being given out on Sunday morning!
Old 22-09-2015, 12:43 PM

The Gloaming was packed out on Thursday, great gig. On Sunday I did the Loaves & Fishes lunch in the bonded warehoise, which was great, they had a cocktail bar next door, with Stevoe G on the decks.Went onto Crane Lane after wards and caught some music there, was at the bar, and Aaron Dressner came up to order, he was in good form. Went onto the showcase at Everyman, twas 90% full downstairs, then went on to Eat My Noise at Triskel, and that was completely full. They had a full orchestta at the back of the hall. A great festival, great variety available and i hope it continies next year. I heard Mary Hickson is leaving shortly from COH. She was apparently the main driver to get the festival up and running.
Old 22-09-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falling At Your Feet View Post
The Gloaming was packed out on Thursday, great gig. On Sunday I did the Loaves & Fishes lunch in the bonded warehoise, which was great, they had a cocktail bar next door, with Stevoe G on the decks.Went onto Crane Lane after wards and caught some music there, was at the bar, and Aaron Dressner came up to order, he was in good form. Went onto the showcase at Everyman, twas 90% full downstairs, then went on to Eat My Noise at Triskel, and that was completely full. They had a full orchestta at the back of the hall. A great festival, great variety available and i hope it continies next year. I heard Mary Hickson is leaving shortly from COH. She was apparently the main driver to get the festival up and running.
She's out the gap in October after 5 years. Has done so monumental work with the Opera House, turning it around to three consecutive years of decent profit. The acts that passed through there over the last year or two, as well as this festival are testament to her work.

Her replacement is being promoted from in house AFAIK so hopefully they can continue the good work.

The thing with SFSH is that it was driven by Mary Hickson and Bryce Dessner so it could happen again, or it might never with the him involved heavily in a few other projects, and whatever she might move on to as well.

Or, which I'd love to see, is for her to run it herself each year and maybe get a different curator like a lot festivals around the world do. You could easily get people like Jonny Greenwood, Jeff Tweedy, etc involved - use the Bryce Dessner connections to see who you can get for the first 2 or 3 and then branch out from there once its established.

If they wanted, which I hope they don't naturally enough because I really enjoyed it, they could even take it to other cities. Edinburgh, Copenhagen (she is very close to Efterklang who could do it over there for e.g.) and so on.
Old 22-09-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlackNova;555977 5,
Or, which I'd love to see, is for her to run it herself each year and maybe get a different curator like a lot festivals around the world do. You could easily get people like Jonny Greenwood, Jeff Tweedy, etc involved - use the Bryce Dessner connections to see who you can get for the first 2 or 3 and then branch out from there once its established.
Nail on the head there.

Even the Gloaming were talking about her from the stage, Martin Hayes describing her, as a "force of nature". She clearly is not only a great organiser,great visionary, but has the respect of the artists also, so let her run it. She has established great relationships already.