User Name
Password

Old 15-09-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxetten View Post
Kerry animals indeed.

Kerry TD wants cull on seals

https://www.killarneytoday.com/kerry...ts-cull-seals/

It's the human population that's out of control ffs!

As mush as I love seals he has a point, they've Glenngarriff raped of salmon .
Old 15-09-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
As mush as I love seals he has a point, they've Glenngarriff raped of salmon .
I see that seals have few natural predators in this part of the world, we need more killer whales to keep them under control the natural way!
Old 15-09-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I see that seals have few natural predators in this part of the world, we need more killer whales to keep them under control the natural way!
I've seen a few minky and humpbacks this year, one or two Fin whales, shit load of dolphins and some porpoise . Haven't heard of any killer whales at all but a skipper told me there were some out there and they have been known to come in.

Seals are a serious problem tbh, I'm not into these fish farms but the seals make shit of it and fishermen nets too. Fuck knows it's difficult enough for fishermen these days. Yet people are buying their fish in the form of , fish fingers and frozen battered fish , that came out of a fuckin fishing factory, while seals are munching down on our native salmon stocks.

Seals are cool and I like checking em out etc, they are all over the gaff down here . But they are huge fuckin munching machines and are living off fuckin wild salmon.
Old 15-09-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I've seen a few minky and humpbacks this year, one or two Fin whales, shit load of dolphins and some porpoise . Haven't heard of any killer whales at all but a skipper told me there were some out there and they have been known to come in.

Seals are a serious problem tbh, I'm not into these fish farms but the seals make shit of it and fishermen nets too. Fuck knows it's difficult enough for fishermen these days. Yet people are buying their fish in the form of , fish fingers and frozen battered fish , that came out of a fuckin fishing factory, while seals are munching down on our native salmon stocks.

Seals are cool and I like checking em out etc, they are all over the gaff down here . But they are huge fuckin munching machines and are living off fuckin wild salmon.
Seals are opportunistic hunters and that is their downfall here, a cull may make commercial sense but the thought of it is still grim.

Fair play for seeing so much wildlife down there btw.
Old 15-09-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Seals are opportunistic hunters and that is their downfall here, a cull may make commercial sense but the thought of it is still grim.

Fair play for seeing so much wildlife down there btw.
Ya I like to see the fat bastards lazing around the gaff but we need to be practical about it too.

As for the wild life, it's really incredible how many of these species are visiting our coast line . West Cork is now an established feeding ground and this is why we need to keep our kelp, out of the hands of mad Kerry men. I would have only taken a handful of boat trips this year, to see that many. On a good day, you will see a hundred or so dolphins and a few of the bigger whales too, on a bad day, you'll still see a few of each at least . Even on the shorter ferry routes , you may see some. I'll post some links tomorrow, small enough money for these boat trips and you can keep up to date on the action online. It can be difficult to get places on these boats, when activity is peaking but cancelations pop up all the time.
Old 15-09-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Ya I like to see the fat bastards lazing around the gaff but we need to be practical about it too.

As for the wild life, it's really incredible how many of these species are visiting our coast line . West Cork is now an established feeding ground and this is why we need to keep our kelp, out of the hands of mad Kerry men. I would have only taken a handful of boat trips this year, to see that many. On a good day, you will see a hundred or so dolphins and a few of the bigger whales too, on a bad day, you'll still see a few of each at least . Even on the shorter ferry routes , you may see some. I'll post some links tomorrow, small enough money for these boat trips and you can keep up to date on the action online. It can be difficult to get places on these boats, when activity is peaking but cancelations pop up all the time.
You're lucky to be away from the mean streets of Cork m8, these boat trips sound like an interesting day out for next Summer to be sure. We certainly do need to protect our shorelines from uncontrolled commercial activity and we shouldn't treat our seas like one giant factory where all else is sacrificed to the God of mammon.
Old 16-09-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
You're lucky to be away from the mean streets of Cork m8, these boat trips sound like an interesting day out for next Summer to be sure. We certainly do need to protect our shorelines from uncontrolled commercial activity and we shouldn't treat our seas like one giant factory where all else is sacrificed to the God of mammon.
This is the best one to get imo http://www.whalewatchwestcork.com , they don't go out really, unless they are guaranteed a good enough run. It's not just a summer thing, humpbacks are usually more visible around May. Even on a warm sunny day, it gets quite cold out there, you need to be well wrapped up.

Good chance of seeing some dolphins and porpoise on any of the ferries at this time of year too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcP...S6DOcKxdShsaOg

This one http://www.corkwhalewatch.com isn't as good imo but Colin the skipper tends to go out a lot more, he has a good few dud runs because he tends to chance it but he has good day too when the other boats won't go out.

Quote:
Whale Watching update West Cork Friday 15th Sept.....It's great to be back out on the water again this morning with common dolphins and minke whales. Today's afternoon trip is fully booked, as is tomorrow's Saturday morning trip. So our next availability is Sat. 16th afternoon @ 15:00. We're completely booked up on Sunday morning but have just a few spaces on our afternoon trip at 15:00. Both Sunday and Monday morning look like they could be real gems. Give us a call on Ph. 086 3850568 or email info@corkwhalewatch. com if you'd like to join us. (Common dolphins by Mike Brown)
Old 16-09-2017, 10:13 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
This is the best one to get imo http://www.whalewatchwestcork.com , they don't go out really, unless they are guaranteed a good enough run. It's not just a summer thing, humpbacks are usually more visible around May. Even on a warm sunny day, it gets quite cold out there, you need to be well wrapped up.

Good chance of seeing some dolphins and porpoise on any of the ferries at this time of year too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcP...S6DOcKxdShsaOg

This one http://www.corkwhalewatch.com isn't as good imo but Colin the skipper tends to go out a lot more, he has a good few dud runs because he tends to chance it but he has good day too when the other boats won't go out.
Cheers for that, it's something to consider alright for future reference!
Old 16-09-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Cheers for that, it's something to consider alright for future reference!

Well worth checking out alright, it gets quite choppy out there, if you are prone to sea sickness, forget about it.
Old 16-09-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Well worth checking out alright, it gets quite choppy out there, if you are prone to sea sickness, forget about it.
I've been to the Blaskets and Aran islands so I don't think that would be a problem.