User Name
Password

Old 04-06-2018, 07:58 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozzy View Post
Heading there for the bones of a week.

I want tips, tricks, insider information, what to see, what not to see, where to eat, where to get good beer.

Get on it.

Try to walk as often as possible because on your way to places you'll see streets that are amazing and seem to be bursting with history. Bring a large empty plastic bottle to fill from public water taps. The water is perfectly safe to drink and if you buy it from kioscs you'll get fleeced. I remember that a small bottle of water was more expensive than a large can of Heineken in a kiosc outside the Coloseum.
As for eating, go to Tratoria's rather than Ristorantes which tend to be very expensive. Lots of places do a tourist menu which includes two courses(first one usually spaghetti) and a small garaffe of wine. Usual trick is to see where the locals go. It can save you a fortune.
Have a good trip.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:51 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrig4life View Post
Don't go to any weddings

Applies more to Sicily!
Old 05-06-2018, 02:44 PM
Banned

Watch out for the Thieving Gypsy Bastards M8.

Tivoli Gardens outside the City is well worth a visit.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:24 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bushwacker View Post

Try to walk as often as possible because on your way to places you'll see streets that are amazing and seem to be bursting with history. Bring a large empty plastic bottle to fill from public water taps. The water is perfectly safe to drink and if you buy it from kioscs you'll get fleeced. I remember that a small bottle of water was more expensive than a large can of Heineken in a kiosc outside the Coloseum.
As for eating, go to Tratoria's rather than Ristorantes which tend to be very expensive. Lots of places do a tourist menu which includes two courses(first one usually spaghetti) and a small garaffe of wine. Usual trick is to see where the locals go. It can save you a fortune.
Have a good trip.
Jesus Christ, that's fucking barbaric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan01 View Post
Watch out for the Thieving Gypsy Bastards M8.

Tivoli Gardens outside the City is well worth a visit.
That's a given wherever I go.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:28 PM

Pompeii is worth going to alright, poor bastards ruined by the wind that particular day, had it blown a different direction they'd be grand.

I stayed on the Amalfi coast and a couple in the hotel said they found the day trip from there to Rome to be too long. Keeping in mind we were about a further 30 mins south of Pompeii from Rome.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bushwacker View Post
Have a good trip.
Agree regarding the spaghetti. Try the shapes rather than hoops.

Trevi fountain is touristy but only cause it's so nice.
Eat in a street off piazza navona rather than on it for much better food and walk in the piazza afterwards.

Skip Pompeii. Too far from Rome and Rome has history on every corner. Spend time in the forum instead.
Eat pizza for lunch. Cheap but possibly the world's best.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:20 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri LeHat View Post
Agree regarding the spaghetti. Try the shapes rather than hoops.

Trevi fountain is touristy but only cause it's so nice.
Eat in a street off piazza navona rather than on it for much better food and walk in the piazza afterwards.

Skip Pompeii. Too far from Rome and Rome has history on every corner. Spend time in the forum instead.
Eat pizza for lunch. Cheap but possibly the world's best.

The pizzas in Naples were the best I've ever tasted and Italians, who I know personally, back it up.
Your advice is good.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:12 PM

Some cutting edge tourist advice inthis thread lads.

Try different shapes of pasta.

I have to write that one down.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloblock View Post
Some nice restaurants in the old Jewish quarter.
Yup.
There are 4 of them right next to each other. Nonna Betta, Da Giggetto, Il Giardino and the fourth I can't remember. Anyway, all 4 of them are REALLY GOOD and you cannot go wrong.

Do not go to restaurants near Termini station. 99% of them are poor quality tourist traps.

Trastevere has a good selection of restaurants too. Some of them are tourist traps but most are good.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthenighttime View Post
Yup.
There are 4 of them right next to each other. Nonna Betta, Da Giggetto, Il Giardino and the fourth I can't remember. Anyway, all 4 of them are REALLY GOOD and you cannot go wrong.

Do not go to restaurants near Termini station. 99% of them are poor quality tourist traps.

Trastevere has a good selection of restaurants too. Some of them are tourist traps but most are good.
The Bella Carne (Kosher) ???