Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 21-04-2017, 03:56 PM
Roxetten Roxetten is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8,903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
I read it, I was expecting it to break my mind, as I am quite delicate today tbh


But it actually didn't, I'd agree with it all bar the C32 stuff but that's none of my business.
I couldn't read but cos I'm on my phone at work and am too busy #winning in RL to read long posts atm.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 21-04-2017, 07:02 PM
Smaug Smaug is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 14,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxetten View Post
I couldn't read but cos I'm on my phone at work and am too busy #winning in RL to read long posts atm.
I doubt you would agree with much of it RoxY M8 tbphwyfwiw
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by doolaly View Post
...the Syrian would have a job on his hands blowing as hard as yer man there eh...
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 21-04-2017, 07:07 PM
thegillabbeygowl thegillabbeygowl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: A tease of the weasel in Cork
Posts: 30,943
Default

So you've to be mad to be a saint in reality.

These days they put you in a home.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 21-04-2017, 07:34 PM
CORKBHOY CORKBHOY is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 46,949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corcaigh32 View Post
So notionally, unless I can stand over everything in the study personally, I can't refer to it because it is bogus?

I'll give you an out CB because you're a stand up guy and intelligent to boot.
Faith is a belief in something better, better than ourselves. Which team you ascribe that faith to, Muslim, Catholic, Jewish, Hindi, Sikh, Buddhist, Zaro-Astrian I do not care. But if 84% or a substantially higher proportion of people than do not have faith, have faith - then there is either something lacking in our human condition or our conscience or spirit or whatever ethereal entity, that I cannot prove with links exists, that says we need to have something more than what our brains see, hear, touch, taste and feel and that something is a faith.

The only point I have repeatedly made in this thread is the hypocrisy that slates that faith, no matter which one it is. I was brought up a catholic, if I ascribe my faith to anything it is catholicism although as you have seen me post numerous occasions, there are elements of catholicism and catholic dogma I do not agree with. I consider my faith to be a highly personal thing. Along the lines of what Cloudy was describing earlier.

But I don't try to tell Smaug, wumming or not, that his lack of faith is ridiculous or nonsensical because he is more than entitled to that view. I don't find his lack of faith disturbing. Or threatening. Or something which should be expunged or eliminated from the annals of the threads of PROC.

So if I have that tolerance? Why is it that those of no faith feel the need to run those of faith down? Forget about the tenets of any religion. It's about tolerance of opinion or difference.

You're a Celtic supporter right? If I was a Rangers fan, and I'm not, but if I was, I wouldn't be making it my PROC mission to dismiss your support of Celtic.

If Roxy is an FG supporter? I don't denigrate that support much as I wouldn't support them because he/she is entitled to that opinion.

Why should be on something which, let's conservatively put at 70%, just for the sake of this conversation, should it be that tolerance goes out the window?



|

Quote:
So notionally, unless I can stand over everything in the study personally, I can't refer to it because it is bogus?

Absolutely not. I'm not trying to stop you referring to anything. I'll just criticise the report when I see it mentioned for the reasons I've explained previously.



Quote:
Faith is a belief in something better, better than ourselves. Which team you ascribe that faith to, Muslim, Catholic, Jewish, Hindi, Sikh, Buddhist, Zaro-Astrian I do not care. But if 84% or a substantially higher proportion of people than do not have faith, have faith - then there is either something lacking in our human condition or our conscience or spirit or whatever ethereal entity, that I cannot prove with links exists, that says we need to have something more than what our brains see, hear, touch, taste and feel and that something is a faith.
This is your understanding of what faith is, and that's fine. But it's not your beliefs I'm questioning here, it's the report you mention. Again, faith can literally mean anything. I don't have belief/faith in any religion. However I believe or have faith that humans are the result of a super scientific occurrence billions of years ago. So where do I fit in to this report? Do I have faith or not? This is why I criticise it. It's open to all sorts of objectives, perceptions etc etc.

Quote:
The only point I have repeatedly made in this thread is the hypocrisy that slates that faith, no matter which one it is. I was brought up a catholic, if I ascribe my faith to anything it is catholicism although as you have seen me post numerous occasions, there are elements of catholicism and catholic dogma I do not agree with. I consider my faith to be a highly personal thing. Along the lines of what Cloudy was describing earlier.

But I don't try to tell Smaug, wumming or not, that his lack of faith is ridiculous or nonsensical because he is more than entitled to that view. I don't find his lack of faith disturbing. Or threatening. Or something which should be expunged or eliminated from the annals of the threads of PROC.

Just to be clear, I didn't slate anybody for their faith/religious beliefs. I may have, and often do, slate organised religion, particularly the Catholic Church - as it's the one I was brainwashed into. The fact of the matter is that the Catholic Church as an institution, religious and political, is guilty of heinous crimes here and all over the world. They have literally enslaved children, covered up paedophile rings, sold kids as commodities, dumped dead babies in mass unmarked graves etc etc etc. And I make absolutely no apology for slating those acts.

So when I hear people say things like 'my faith is personal, and I'm not really Catholic as I disagree with a lot of their stuff" etc etc then that's their perogative. But while people still participate in their rituals, give them money etc then they are in affect keeping this institution alive. And that's for them to attempt to rationalise in their head. And again, this isn't me slating them, everyone is free to contribute financially to any organisation they want.


Quote:
So if I have that tolerance? Why is it that those of no faith feel the need to run those of faith down? Forget about the tenets of any religion. It's about tolerance of opinion or difference.

You're a Celtic supporter right? If I was a Rangers fan, and I'm not, but if I was, I wouldn't be making it my PROC mission to dismiss your support of Celtic.

If Roxy is an FG supporter? I don't denigrate that support much as I wouldn't support them because he/she is entitled to that opinion.

Why should be on something which, let's conservatively put at 70%, just for the sake of this conversation, should it be that tolerance goes out the window
I'm not trying to run those with faith down. I am simply pointing out the heinous crimes of the Catholic Church here. Everyone is free to subscribe to, participate in the rituals of, and contribute financially to these religions. And I'm free to point out the crimes these religions committed. That's not slating or running down anyone's personal beliefs.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 21-04-2017, 07:59 PM
Corcaigh32 Corcaigh32 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Corcaigh
Posts: 27,796
Default

I never said it was you doing it and per my response to Smaug above you'll see we agree on almost all of your post
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 21-04-2017, 08:08 PM
Iancurtis Iancurtis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,203
Default

Entire monotheistic religions have been founded on the basis of some gobshite saying they spoke to a bush or were visited by the angel Gabriel out in the arse end of nowhere when there was no one else around to verify it, Islam being a prime example.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 21-04-2017, 09:15 PM
King Silkbeard King Silkbeard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 389
Default

The Catholic Church should not be granted special treatment for being the leader in committing heinous crimes. In Myanmar today the pacifist Buddhists are murdering Muslims and we don't talk about that. All forms of religious indoctrination is wrong not just the Catholic Archbishops & Cardinals. Selecting Catholics for particular punishment goes to show people don't understand that all religions are capable of propagating horrible abuse onto the other religion.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 21-04-2017, 09:17 PM
Roxetten Roxetten is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8,903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Silkbeard View Post
The Catholic Church should not be granted special treatment for being the leader in committing heinous crimes. In Myanmar today the pacifist Buddhists are murdering Muslims and we don't talk about that. All forms of religious indoctrination is wrong not just the Catholic Archbishops & Cardinals. Selecting Catholics for particular punishment goes to show people don't understand that all religions are capable of propagating horrible abuse onto the other religion.
They're all capable of doing evil because they are presided over by humans, and humans care capable of unlimited evil, as the 20th century has shown.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 21-04-2017, 09:19 PM
TopicGrinder TopicGrinder is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 4,671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Silkbeard View Post
In Myanmar today the pacifist Buddhists are murdering Muslims and we don't talk about that
That needs a thread of it's own √√
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 21-04-2017, 09:20 PM
CORKBHOY CORKBHOY is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 46,949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Silkbeard View Post
The Catholic Church should not be granted special treatment for being the leader in committing heinous crimes. In Myanmar today the pacifist Buddhists are murdering Muslims and we don't talk about that. All forms of religious indoctrination is wrong not just the Catholic Archbishops & Cardinals. Selecting Catholics for particular punishment goes to show people don't understand that all religions are capable of propagating horrible abuse onto the other religion.
Feel free to start a thread about the murdering Buddhists. I'd be interested to read about it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.