Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Music Forum
User Name
Password

Old 20-11-2012, 10:39 AM

As the MONO tour dates draw near, the band have shared a free MP3 download from their brand new album For My Parents, which they are touring in December across the UK.

Help yourselves and spread the word about 'Dream Odyssey' via the One Inch Badge Soundcloud page now - http://soundcloud.com/oneinchbadge/dream-odyssey.

Don't forget that you can also view the video to their album opener 'Legend' here: http://pitchfork.com/news/47353-video-mono-legend/

Read on for more information about MONO and For My Parents...

Blurring the boundary between art-metal and neo-classical, Japanese post-rockers MONO hailing from Tokyo, have long established themselves as the leading voice of epic majestic noise. For over 12 years in fact. Their instrumental compositions are powerful, sweeping studies in the limits of the musical spectrum; from rumbling subsonic lows to dizzying harmonic highs.

Over the years, they have developed their vast and beautiful noise into something entirely majestic. Their colossal orchestrations often incorporate strings, flutes, organ, piano, glockenspiel and tymphani as well as guitar and drums, balancing all elements masterfully with each new release and live performance.

The Japanese quartet have always followed their own muse, and in the process have become "one of the most distinctive bands of the 21st century." They are an instrumental rock band whose melodies have grown increasingly lyrical, with increasingly transcendent execution. There is no doubting a MONO song when you hear it, and no denying their uncanny ability to feel perfectly at home in both pristine symphony halls and dirty rock clubs.

Last time Mono performed live, it was part of the highly successful London show with the Holy Ground Orchestra. Now they wil return for a full UK tour promoting their brand new album For My Parents, which obliterates that divide, showcasing a sensitivity and maturity that simultaneously acknowledges where they came from, and where they're going. The songwriting is sharper, the dynamics are subtler, and the production is stunning. For the recording, the band once again enlisted The Wordless Music Orchestra for support, and the collaboration has never sounded stronger. The unique combination of soul-stirring melodies, cinematic East-meets-West arrangements, and firm command of elusive emotional intangibles is what makes MONO so...well, so MONO.

Check out a YouTube link to the album trailer: http://youtu.be/weZLy-_ncUg.

PRAISE FROM THE PRESS

"Mono are one of those rare bands who seem absorbed in pushing their sound as far as they possibly can. Their marriage with The Holy Ground Orchestra is testament to that ambition, resulting in an impossibly powerful and enthralling experience that not many will be able to match." - CLASH MAGAZINE

"Few bands - those grounded in post-rock especially - could not have pulled this off with such ease and utter lack of pretence as MONO. In a word: epic" - ROCK A ROLLA

"It is stunning and crushing and bewildering" - 8/10 ROCKSOUND

"Mono's real strength lies in their ability to immerse the listener completely in ablanket of feedback, and fragile melody" - TERRORIZER

---------------------------------------
CMJ Print
https://www.facebook.com/Choc-A-Bloc...7028939951391/
Old 05-12-2012, 07:06 PM

If we seem blind tonight in Cork when we play at Cypress Avenue, it's because we've been driving wet roads directly into the sun for most of the six hours down from Belfast. Tomorrow we're back up in Dublin (our backs to the sun) at the Button Factory!

The lads
Old 06-12-2012, 08:46 AM

Location: Living in a candy jail Peppermint bars Peanut brittle bunk beds and marshmallow walls

Any reports on last nights gig?
Old 06-12-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delzer View Post
Any reports on last nights gig?
It's been an AMAZING gig. They didn't play my fav song (Burial at Sea) but Ashes in the Snow and Pure as Snow made my day.
Loved every single bit. Pure bliss.
Best gig I've seen in Cork in 2012, period.

Attendance was surprisingly ok, given the price. Not sold out but the room was full-ish I reckon.

And no crappy useless opening band! <3
Old 06-12-2012, 11:39 AM

Location: Living in a candy jail Peppermint bars Peanut brittle bunk beds and marshmallow walls

Cool. Going to try and catch them tonight. Was it just the four guys or did they have strings? Saw a clip from London gig and they had a couple of people on strings. Sounded amazing.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:57 AM

Just the four of them Delz...really good gig...Ashes in the snow

Also, Henryk Gorecki's Symphony No 3 before Mono came on was ...never heard that being played at a venue before...
Old 06-12-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphex View Post

Also, Henryk Gorecki's Symphony No 3 before Mono came on was ...never heard that being played at a venue before...
amazing piece of music... lost my cd of it though

---------------------------------------
CMJ Print
https://www.facebook.com/Choc-A-Bloc...7028939951391/
Old 06-12-2012, 01:42 PM

Loved the gig last night. Hadn't really listened to them much before. Best gig I've been to this year.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazzTT View Post
Loved the gig last night. Hadn't really listened to them much before. Best gig I've been to this year.
I don't really like their last album, it's ok but somewhat disappointing. I'd suggest Hymn to the Immortal Wind as a good place to start.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:13 PM

Yep. Loved it. Bass player seemed to get more bored the more exciting the music got Great crowd for a Wintry Wednesday.