Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Travel Forum
User Name
Password

Old 18-10-2008, 04:18 PM

Default Canadian Working Holiday Visa

anyone been on a Canadian working holiday visa or even visited the place and would recommend where to live for 6-9 months.....

Ive done the OZ/NZ working holiday visa so was thinking of doing the Canadian one next year...places are limited though so you have to apply ona certian date and its first come first serve...

also any more news on the US 1 year holiday visa that was in the news a few weeks back...ive been on a few J1's but would love to work in the states for a year....
Old 19-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Banned

Hi im currently living in Nova Scotia in Canada and finishing up soon on the one year working visa. Canada is a great place. Pretty cold in the winter but id take a Canadian Winter over an irish winter any day!! Its a different kind of cold. A dry crisp cold with very little rain thru the winter.

i was origanilly living in Toronto for 6 monthes and been here in
Halifax, Nova Scotia since May. Toronto was great. Accomadation and jobs are easy to get but the jobs tend to be lower paid but the cost of living is lower too. Nova Scotia where i am now is absolutley beautiful. Halifax where i am situated now is around about the same size as cork. Population of about 300,000. Very friendly people and its a sea port town situated on the second largest natural harbour in the world (after Sydney). Jobs are easy to get here too. Of every 10 cv,s i sent off i got about 7 replies for interviews which isnt bad. Its a great drinking town too. Its got the most pubs per head of population than any city in Canada or Usa.

The biggest mistake i made coming to Canada was organising my flatshare before i came. I lived in a horrible place about 45 mins on the subway from downtown Toronto with 2 guys who didnt have 2 words of english between them. i moved out after 6 days and had to write off over 1000 dollars in rent as i payed 2 monthes up front.

My advice to you is when you get to Canada is to put an ad looking for roomshare on either Craiglist or Kijiji websites and mention that you are Irish in the ad. I done this and got about 100 replies. Even had women sending me pics of themselves!! The Craiglist and Kijiji websites are also great for finding jobs. Also try Careerbeacon.com for jobs in the Nova Scotia region.
Old 19-10-2008, 08:23 PM

Have u been up to Cape Breton? I was there about 7 years ago, beautiful place
Old 19-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Banned

yeah. Cape Breton was by far my favourite place ive been to in Canada. Drove on the Cabot trail which was fantastic but the main highlight for me was the skyline trail and the fantastic views at the top.

I think Cape Breton is one of the worlds best kept secrets, which is probably a good thing as its not overun by annoying yanks or japenese clicking away on their cameras!!
Old 19-10-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkman34 View Post
Hi im currently living in Nova Scotia in Canada and finishing up soon on the one year working visa. Canada is a great place. Pretty cold in the winter but id take a Canadian Winter over an irish winter any day!! Its a different kind of cold. A dry crisp cold with very little rain thru the winter.

Halifax, Nova Scotia since May. Toronto was great. Accomadation and jobs are easy to get but the jobs tend to be lower paid but the cost of living is lower too. Nova Scotia where i am now is absolutley beautiful. Halifax where i am situated now is around about the same size as cork. Population of about 300,000. Very friendly people and its a sea port town situated on the second largest natural harbour in the world (after Sydney). Jobs are easy to get here too. Of every 10 cv,s i sent off i got about 7 replies for interviews which isnt bad. Its a great drinking town too. Its got the most pubs per head of population than any city in Canada or Usa.

The biggest mistake i made coming to Canada was organising my flatshare before i came. I lived in a horrible place about 45 mins on the subway from downtown Toronto with 2 guys who didnt have 2 words of english between them. i moved out after 6 days and had to write off over 1000 dollars in rent as i payed 2 monthes up front.

My advice to you is when you get to Canada is to put an ad looking for roomshare on either Craiglist or Kijiji websites and mention that you are Irish in the ad. I done this and got about 100 replies. Even had women sending me pics of themselves!! The Craiglist and Kijiji websites are also great for finding jobs. Also try Careerbeacon.com for jobs in the Nova Scotia region.
Canada sounds cool

all these places claim to be the 2nd largest in the world.can't find a deff answer for it tho

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Falmouth, Cornwall, United Kingdom
Poole, Dorset, United Kingdom
Cork, Republic of Ireland
Old 19-10-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:

cheers for the advice...i reckon i wont be going over until 2010...did you get your visa through the usit work canada scheme?...on that one you have to apply in jan/feb and travel to canada before the end of that year.

was thinking of starting in Toronto and heading over to Vancouver but Halifax sounds pretty cool aswell. I know a few people in Vancouver aswell..

what is it like for getting sponsorship over there once your year is up? I have seen a few adds here for engineers to head to canada so i guess if there is a shortage there might be a chance of getting sponsored to stay longer.
Old 19-10-2008, 10:43 PM
Banned

Yeah i got my visa through usit which was almost 400 euros but i suppose it saved me the time and paperwork of doing it myself through the Canadian Embassy. Its possible to get sponsered through your job. You have to apply for a thing called a labour market opinion form which states that the company couldnt find a Canadian suitable enough to do the job.
If you do get it then you have to apply for a new temporary working visa which is 150 dollars and then go through the whole process of applying for a permanant visa which will take about 18 monthes and between the medicals and fees will set you back about 1400 Cdn dollars. If you leave Canada and apply for a permanant visa from abroad using the points system there is currently a four year back log so the best and quickest way of doing it is to apply from within Canada while you are still working there (you cant change jobs if you are applying for a permanant visa through the labour market opinion)

The reason i know all this is because i dont want to leave Canada and have been all over the Canadian Government website looking for info on this. I applied for the Labour market opinion while in my job here in halifax but got laid off 2 weeks ago as the company is going out of business.

But theres other ways................ ..... espeicially if you are going out with a Canadian!! So i hope ill be back here again for good in a year or so.
Old 19-10-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Yeah i got my visa through usit which was almost 400 euros but i suppose it saved me the time and paperwork of doing it myself through the Canadian Embassy. Its possible to get sponsered through your job. You have to apply for a thing called a labour market opinion form which states that the company couldnt find a Canadian suitable enough to do the job.
If you do get it then you have to apply for a new temporary working visa which is 150 dollars and then go through the whole process of applying for a permanant visa which will take about 18 monthes and between the medicals and fees will set you back about 1400 Cdn dollars. If you leave Canada and apply for a permanant visa from abroad using the points system there is currently a four year back log so the best and quickest way of doing it is to apply from within Canada while you are still working there (you cant change jobs if you are applying for a permanant visa through the labour market opinion)

The reason i know all this is because i dont want to leave Canada and have been all over the Canadian Government website looking for info on this. I applied for the Labour market opinion while in my job here in halifax but got laid off 2 weeks ago as the company is going out of business.

But theres other ways................ ..... espeicially if you are going out with a Canadian!! So i hope ill be back here again for good in a year or so.
cheers...its abit away for me yet but good to hear form someone over there....ive been to the states on a few j1's but never made it to Canada...thinking of going over to visit my mates in vancouver next summer and then heading over for a year in early 2010
Old 07-12-2008, 03:34 PM

Anyone applying for this tomorrow on the USIT site?

I'm well up for it anyway...
Old 07-12-2008, 06:53 PM

i will be camping out all night waiting for it to open.

its a bit cold but worth it.