tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Ryanair Landings - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 19-05-2017, 11:10 AM

Default Ryanair Landings

Last night, I travelled from Manchester to Dublin on Ryanair and it was my thirteenth flight this year. Twelve of them have been on Ryanair and the other was on SAS. I don't have too many grumbles with Mr O'Leary's carrier - it's inexpensive and usually punctual (although last night was an exception), but I do have a question.
Why is it that Ryanair landings are, let us say, almost inevitably much less smooth than those of other airlines? Last night's was round about regular for them - ie it loosened all my fillings but the previous couple were, frankly, a bit scary.
On the Dublin/Manchester flight the other day, the plane actually bounced. It came down with a thud, then went up again, and finally the wheels attached themselves to the tarmac with another resounding bang.
Three weeks ago, the impact was so violent that I wondered if the landing gear was about to detatch itself, especially as we swerved to one side before straightening out.
Old 19-05-2017, 11:12 AM

Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.

Landings in general are controlled crashes.
Old 19-05-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drucker View Post

Landings in general are controlled crashes.
Thanks for that comforting thought!
Banned

Ryanair might be using a landing technique known as "green approach" which is touted as "greener" but in reality burns less fuel.

In this method the pilot doesnt make thrust and altitude levelling adjustments but comes down in a straight quicker glide path.

The technique was pioneeerd by SAS but maybe they are doung some adjustments in the final few meters that ryanair or not.

I heard somewhere before that Ryanair use a lot of rookie pilots , I've been on one or two Ryanair flights which landed heavily
Old 19-05-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColCork View Post
Ryanair might be using a landing technique known as "green approach" which is touted as "greener" but in reality burns less fuel.
Burning less fuel is what makes it greener.
Old 19-05-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drucker View Post
Burning less fuel is what makes it greener.
I read somewhere Ryanair also fly slower than some other airlines to save on fuel.

Apparently, they also fly with less fuel in the tank, maybe that has a bearing on the stability for landing.
Old 19-05-2017, 11:27 AM
Senior PROC Member

Do ryan air still play the "Da de dah de dah" type fox hunt bugle sound after a successful "on time" landing?

Expected flight time - 1 hour
Ryan Air scheduled flight time - 1 hour 20 minutes
So even if Ryan Air land 15 minutes later than they really should they give themselves a pat on the back for being on or ahead of time
Old 19-05-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJ View Post
Last night, I travelled from Manchester to Dublin on Ryanair and it was my thirteenth flight this year. Twelve of them have been on Ryanair and the other was on SAS. I don't have too many grumbles with Mr O'Leary's carrier - it's inexpensive and usually punctual (although last night was an exception), but I do have a question.
Why is it that Ryanair landings are, let us say, almost inevitably much less smooth than those of other airlines? Last night's was round about regular for them - ie it loosened all my fillings but the previous couple were, frankly, a bit scary.
On the Dublin/Manchester flight the other day, the plane actually bounced. It came down with a thud, then went up again, and finally the wheels attached themselves to the tarmac with another resounding bang.
Three weeks ago, the impact was so violent that I wondered if the landing gear was about to detatch itself, especially as we swerved to one side before straightening out.
You need to click the "greaser" landing button when booking.

For a nominal 20 snots.
Old 19-05-2017, 11:31 AM

The "green approach" kind of makes sense when you consider Ryanair's emphasis on keeping costs to a minimum.
But I wonder might it be a case of saving money on fuel but having to spend more on maintaining the landing gear?