tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Diego Maradona's 'rebirth' - Page 3 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 17-06-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy O'Ranieri View Post
I'm not in the business of comparing eras.
Everything is different now.

Maradona is the reason I love the game. The 1986 World Cup will always be my World Cup.
It wasn't a dig Dan, more that I wouldn't even try argue the case against someone who could quote the stats back at you, because it would be impossible

World Cup performances are impossible to forget in a way that club achievements come and go - No one interested in football will ever forget '86
Old 17-06-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
The only wildly speculative guess I'd take is that neither would survive in the other's era.
well Diego definitely couldn't have survived the requirements on Messi due to his em, lifestyle
Old 17-06-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhonkaman View Post
It wasn't a dig Dan, more that I wouldn't even try argue the case against someone who could quote the stats back at you, because it would be impossible

World Cup performances are impossible to forget in a way that club achievements come and go - No one interested in football will ever forget '86
I know it wasn't. But I certainly wouldn't use stats to compare Maradona to Messi.
Old 17-06-2019, 10:20 AM

Diego seemed more of a natural leader and while Messi is brave in terms of always being willing to receive the ball - Maradona was tough as nails.

Skills-wise both are at the absolute elite level. Diego was perhaps a more explosive dribbler whereas Messi IMHO edges it in terms of having a detailed picture of the game in his head & ability to pick a pass.

In terms of longevity and consistency of output Messi wins hands down. In recent years he has also benefited from an increased focus on his conditioning.

Each will appeal to different temperaments.

Maradona for those who love the more visceral roller-coaster style.

Messi for those who are attracted to a simply astonishing ability to consistently influence games while finding a way to be exceptionally economical in using his amazing set of skills to maximum effect.

For me, I find it hard not to agree that Messi has (already) had the superior career

...but there's something about peak era Maradona that grips me more than Messi
Old 17-06-2019, 10:25 AM
Senior PROC Member

Messi wouldnt have had half the impact in Maradona's era where players wernt afforded half the protection from officials.

Its a pointless comparison.
Old 17-06-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Messi wouldnt have had half the impact in Maradona's era where players wernt afforded half the protection from officials.

Its a pointless comparison.
Its impossible to know that Dan.

Unfortunately players are trained to go down and draw the frees and the cards that accompany them now, everything move they make is reviewed in detail and the areas they must work on made clear. All of them would stay on their feet if they knew the ref would be giving them nothing for their theatrics, but the best like Messi would also be on the end of endless hard tackles so who knows what he could have put up with. Having said that he is rarely injured from what I know and given the demanding schedule he would be subjected to it suggests he's made of resilient stuff
Old 17-06-2019, 11:50 AM
Senior PROC Member

I’m just glad I got to see both at their absolute best.

❤️ Diego though.
Old 17-06-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
It's showing at The Gate, Omniplex Mahon Point and The Reel Ballincollig.

Nigh Swan.
6.50 eur in Mahon if you go on a Tuesday night
Old 17-06-2019, 11:54 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhonkaman View Post
Its impossible to know that Dan.

Unfortunately players are trained to go down and draw the frees and the cards that accompany them now, everything move they make is reviewed in detail and the areas they must work on made clear. All of them would stay on their feet if they knew the ref would be giving them nothing for their theatrics, but the best like Messi would also be on the end of endless hard tackles so who knows what he could have put up with. Having said that he is rarely injured from what I know and given the demanding schedule he would be subjected to it suggests he's made of resilient stuff
What if-ism is pointless imo.

Diego was something else.
Messi has longevity but he has never won a world cup and he never carried a side to titles like Maradona did at Napoli.
Old 17-06-2019, 12:07 PM
Senior PROC Member

It is pointless comparing though. The fact that Messi has never won a World Cup is countered by him winning numerous Cls imo. The CL is now and has been the pinnacle of football for a long time. No it didn’t have the romance of the WC, but that’s a different argument.

There are counters to every argument which is why comparisons are ridiculous. They are both the best of their eras though (yes, Ronaldo I know) and both all time greats.

Can’t we just enjoy both?