tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Ryder Cup 2014 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 02-09-2014, 12:06 PM

Default Ryder Cup 2014

Forgive me if there is another thread.

European Ryder Cup captain Paul McGinley has named Ian Poulter, Stephen Gallacher and Lee Westwood as his three wild card picks for the showdown with the USA at the end of this month, he announced at Gleneagles today.

That meant there was no place for former world number one Luke Donald as Europe look to claim an eighth win in the last 10 stagings of the biennial contest on 26-28 September.
Westwood has made eight consecutive appearances since making his debut in 1997, winning 21 points from 37 matches.
The 41-year-old finished seventh in the Masters in April and won in Malaysia the following week, but suffered a slump in form until a final round of 63 in the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational in August.
He also shared the lead after the first round of the US PGA Championship before finishing 15th, but failed to advance beyond the first FedEx Cup play-off event.
Gallacher came agonisingly close to securing an automatic place on the team by finishing third in the Italian Open on Sunday, just one shot out of the share of second place he required.
However, McGinley stayed on in Turin after missing the cut and witnessed the Scot card a flawless closing 65 to record his 10th top-10 finish of a qualifying campaign which also saw him retain his Dubai Desert Classic title in February.
Poulter has earned the nickname 'Mr Ryder Cup' and it is hard not to see why. This is the third time he has needed a wild card to make the team, but he has raised his game on every occasion and none more so than at Medinah in 2012.
The 38-year-old won all four of his matches and famously birdied the last five holes alongside Rory McIlroy to beat Jason Dufner and Zach Johnson in the Saturday fourballs.
He also beat Webb Simpson in the singles to take his record to an amazing 12 wins from 15 matches.

Europe team (v USA):
Rory McIlroy, Henrik Stenson (Swe), Victor Dubuisson (Fr), Jamie Donaldson (Wal), Sergio Garcia (Spa), Thomas Bjorn (Den), Justin Rose (Eng), Martin Kaymer (Ger), Graeme McDowell, Ian Poulter (Eng), Stephen Gallacher (Sco) and Lee Westwood (Eng)
Old 02-09-2014, 12:44 PM

The right call on the three picks for me. McGinley had good options. Don't think Jimenez or Molinari would have let anyone down. Donald not in form but he could have brought experience. Good selections though.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:35 PM

i've just been too busy to put a thread up for this

i'm absolutely thrilled at the pick of westwood, poulter and Gallacher.

poulter has become mr ryder cup taking over for monty. it's gonna be awesome
Old 03-09-2014, 03:04 AM

IMO Gallagher is risky.. He has a great track record when it comes to Gleneagles but I'd have Luke in there every time. The guy hits the ball so straight. Gotta keep it in the short stuff around this course and Luke, who is so accurate off the tee (with his irons) is the perfect four ball/foursome guy... think galllagher will be the next jarmo sandelin...(who Ive played with)

me, jarmo, gustafsson and edfors

[/IMG]
Old 03-09-2014, 07:32 AM

United States captain Tom Watson has named Keegan Bradley, Hunter Mahan and Webb Simpson as his wild cards for the Ryder Cup at Gleneagles, which tees off on 26 September.

Bradley and Simpson were on the wrong end of the 'Miracle at Medinah' in 2012, while Mahan lost the vital final singles match to Graeme McDowell at Celtic Manor in 2010.
"I've made no secret of how important this team is to me and how badly I want to go back and win the Ryder Cup," said Bradley, who won three matches alongside Phil Mickelson at Medinah but lost his singles to Rory McIlroy. "I think this is a redemption year for a lot of guys who were on the team in 2012."
Watson, who captained the US to their last win on European soil at The Belfry in 1993, said: "He is the epitome of somebody who wanted to get on the team. He has struggled with it because he wanted to make the team so badly.
"He has the ability to hit the ball a long way and he came up to Gleneagles with me before the Open Championship to play a practice round. He teamed up great with Phil Mickelson at Medinah and the most important thing he brings to it is his unbridled passion."
Mahan finished seventh in the US PGA Championship and won the first FedEx Cup play-off event at the end of August, and Watson added: "Hunter has had a wonderful stretch of golf recently. If you look at the statistics as I have been for a long time, he led greens in regulation in three of the last four events he played."
Mahan added: "The guys had a tough time at Medinah and I had a tough time in 2010, so we have a lot to play for on this team. Winning is everything in golf and I could not have won a bigger tournament (The Barclays) at the right time."

Watson said his final choice came as a result of a "revelation" on Tuesday morning, when he noticed the resounding fourball victories Simpson had enjoyed with Bubba Watson in 2012.
"After struggling with a couple of different players, who was going to be the best for the team, I had a revelation this morning," the 64-year-old said. "I looked at the last time the Ryder Cup was played and I see Webb Simpson 5&4, Webb Simpson 5&4 and I said 'that's got to be the guy'.
"He showed such a strong desire to be in the team and he has had the performance this year to be one of the picks" - Tom Watson comments on Webb Simpson
"Webb played in 2012, did very well. He has the ability to go real low but more important in our conversations, I liked his desire to be on the team. He showed such a strong desire to be in the team and he has had the performance this year to be one of the picks."
Simpson, who lost to Ian Poulter in the singles in Chicago, said: "It was a week that I will never forget. It was one of those weeks where it felt like we were going to win and it was kind of a shock Sunday afternoon.
"I'll never forget the feeling that I had watching the other team celebrate. They were all smiles and having fun, we had our heads down and it wasn't a good feeling.
"Two years has gone by very quickly and I remember all my matches like they were yesterday. I am eager to get back in the mix and try to get back the Ryder Cup."

USA team (v Europe):
Bubba Watson, Rickie Fowler, Jim Furyk, Jimmy Walker, Phil Mickelson, Matt Kuchar, Jordan Spieth, Patrick Reed, Zach Johnson, Hunter Mahan, Webb Simpson and Keegan Bradley.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:39 AM

Will Jim McGuinness still be lining out?

We are fucked if the All-Ireland goes to a replay.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:01 AM

Edfors never really pushed on from his form 4/5 years ago. I though he was a banker for the Ryder Cup for a while.

Donald can't complain too much from missing out, I'd imagine if it was anyewhere but Gleaneagles he'd have been picked but Gallacher is bang on form too right now.
Have tickets to the Friday so interesting to see what it's like, heard it's a) not the best event to go to as a fan (excl. practice days) and b) not the best course for thousands to line up on.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:07 AM

i would go in a heartbeat if it wasn't for college and money. bah
Old 22-09-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbabe08 View Post
i would go in a heartbeat if it wasn't for college and money. bah
If you had a choice between Gareth Brooks concert or Ryder Cup?
Old 22-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Banned

The two Irish men will have a big impact and along with the captain we are well represented!