tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
3 days in ICELAND! - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Travel Forum
User Name
Password

Old 28-07-2014, 12:25 PM

Default 3 days in ICELAND!

My sisters and I are thinking of going away for a weekend somewhere in Europe, perhaps mid/late October.

They both have kids, so it would be a Friday morning to Sunday evening type of deal.

What locations should we consider, outside of Ireland & UK?

Assume that we've visited the big ones, so leave out France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Benelux

I'm thinking so far - Iceland (is it too short a time for that though?), Oslo, Copenhagen, Geneva, Marrakesh (yeah, yeah, not europe, but not far)... don't think any of us have been to those places. Somewhere pretty and interesting, with good wandering and some sightseeing, decent bars/restaurants.

Thoughts/suggestions within the timeframe?

Last edited by D'oriel; 18-08-2014 at 02:18 PM..
Old 28-07-2014, 12:30 PM

Iceland would be good for that period of time. You can fit the Geysers, Gullfloss waterfalls and the Blue lagoon in, but probably not the Glaciers.

Reykavik is really small as well, so its easy to get your bearings.

I'd also recommend Athens, loads of amazing restaurants and you can see teh Acropolis etc, would be nice that time of year as well, weather-wise.
Old 28-07-2014, 12:41 PM

I've always wanted to head north for a short break. Iceland, Finland, Faroes, even Shetland.

What's food, nightlife like in Iceland, Eoin?
Old 28-07-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
Iceland would be good for that period of time. You can fit the Geysers, Gullfloss waterfalls and the Blue lagoon in, but probably not the Glaciers.

Reykavik is really small as well, so its easy to get your bearings.

I'd also recommend Athens, loads of amazing restaurants and you can see teh Acropolis etc, would be nice that time of year as well, weather-wise.

Iceland is definitely my preference as I've wanted to go there for a few years. Thanks for recommendation!

I haven't been to Athens, but I think both sisters have, so that's unlikely to be chosen.
Old 28-07-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORKBHOY View Post
I've always wanted to head north for a short break. Iceland, Finland, Faroes, even Shetland.

What's food, nightlife like in Iceland, Eoin?
Its 10 years since I was there CB. Food was decent enough and there was some good boozers. I was there for work though, and doing a lot of nights so I didn't go to many clubs or anything.

It was also stupidly expensive, but I assume its calmed down in that regard since then.
Old 28-07-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'oriel View Post
Iceland is definitely my preference as I've wanted to go there for a few years. Thanks for recommendation!

I haven't been to Athens, but I think both sisters have, so that's unlikely to be chosen.
Yeah, you could do one day with all of the tourist things I mentioned and then another hanging around Reykavik.
Old 28-07-2014, 12:53 PM
Senior PROC Member

Iceland.

Eat whale.

Eat puffin.

Bathe in the blue lagoon.

A bit of sightseeing in Reykjavik - there's not a rake.

Northern lights if yeer lucky.

No flights from Ireland though, iirc.
Old 28-07-2014, 05:35 PM

I'm not eating a puffin.

They're adorable.
Old 28-07-2014, 05:52 PM

Head to Krakow, plenty amount to do and see and you'll be shocked how cheap the food and drink is, partic as Euro buying a lot of zloty at the moment. or visit the tri-cities in the north, gdansk, gydnia and sopot, 3 cities in one )
Old 28-07-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpóirtFest View Post
Head to Krakow, plenty amount to do and see and you'll be shocked how cheap the food and drink is, partic as Euro buying a lot of zloty at the moment. or visit the tri-cities in the north, gdansk, gydnia and sopot, 3 cities in one )
Regular flights from Cork?

How much?