tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Rogby football skills translator - Page 8 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 22-11-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Lyons View Post
'Sitting in the pocket': Get your gang of 18 stone oafs to trundle up the field till they're under the posts. Stand 20 yards back where no one can get near you and try and drop-kick it between the posts. You'll probably miss because you're a CORK footballer but if you do get it you'll be praised for your 'nerves of steel'. The GAA equivalent is known as a '21 yard free'. If you miss one, you are a Cork footballer.
FIXED!!!

Have to say that this is a great thread..some funny stuff here lads.
Old 22-11-2011, 11:45 PM

'the hush' (1): 10,000 supporters* go absolutely silent so as not to disrupt the concentration of a player tasked with the almost impossible feat of kicking a ball over a bar from 20 yards. this sheeplike display of social compliance apparently demonstrates 'respect', and is all the more surprising considering how much these lads love the sound of their own voice.

'the hush' (2): when a rogby football fan asks people in a pub to 'show some respect' while a kick is taken in the match on tv, as if the kicker could hear the conversation in the pub through the television.

*down from 30,000 during the celtic tiger years
Old 22-11-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POL View Post
the arm in the air is to give the impression of some sort of tactical awareness or preconceived strategy, when all it is, is an arm in the air
I always thought it was a way for the fat lads to signal the bench to let them know they have a stitch.
Old 22-11-2011, 11:50 PM

The Breakdown: Fat men fall about on the floor for a 50/50 ball
Old 22-11-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exileonpatrickstreet View Post
'the hush' (1): 10,000 supporters* go absolutely silent so as not to disrupt the concentration of a player tasked with the almost impossible feat of kicking a ball over a bar from 20 yards. this sheeplike display of social compliance apparently demonstrates 'respect', and is all the more surprising considering how much these lads love the sound of their own voice.

'the hush' (2): when a rogby football fan asks people in a pub to 'show some respect' while a kick is taken in the match on tv, as if the kicker could hear the conversation in the pub through the television.

*down from 30,000 during the celtic tiger years
My personal faveY.
Always thought it was an urban ligind until some ape with sunglasses on his head shushed me in a pub in Doolin years ago.
Old 22-11-2011, 11:55 PM

i generally wouldn't be in the pub for munstershire games, but i was for a celtic league game there last year.

Experienced the full on hush for the first time, started with a ssshhhh, then some lads starting roaring shutup at the non quiet people. Seriously bizzare.
Old 22-11-2011, 11:59 PM

'Hi-jinks': harmless fun amongst rogby chaps which may include dwarf-throwing, jumping off ferries, soggy biscuit, driving golf carts on the motorway and sexual harassment.
Old 23-11-2011, 12:01 AM

Prop: A rogger of such exceptional fatness and slowness that they can't be replaced by a standardly fat and slow rogger and if two of them get injured, you play the rest of the game with a different set of rules, rendering the whole thing even more pointless (yes - that is possible!)
Old 23-11-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedobrien View Post
Prop: A rogger of such exceptional fatness and slowness that they can't be replaced by a standardly fat and slow rogger and if two of them get injured, you play the rest of the game with a different set of rules, rendering the whole thing even more pointless (yes - that is possible!)
Is this true?
Old 23-11-2011, 12:12 AM

'developing nations': countries that draw their playing pool from a sum total of about 50 players.

the rest of the country's population has zero interest in the sport, but these 50 lads are game because the world governing body is throwing millions at their national governing body to compete so the 10 countries that actually play the game can call their tournament a 'world' cup without sounding completely ridiculous.