tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
50KG Baggage allowance if you're emigrating.. - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Travel Forum
User Name
Password

Old 01-11-2009, 07:49 AM

Default 50KG Baggage allowance if you're emigrating..

I've just moved and spend a fortune shipping stuff ahead to NZ. Then I hear that if you prove you're emigrating to an airline that they'll up your allowance to 50kg.

anyone ever heard this?
Old 02-11-2009, 03:12 PM

Qantas and Singapore have provided this in the past for those with One-Way tickets.

As far as I know Qantas now charge for it, not sure of the cost but I do remember it was expensive and only gets you up to 40kg.

Singapore Airlines will do it for free if you contact them directly but you MUST make sure that you get something in writing from them and will need to provide some proof. An email or letter from the airline for any challenge you may get at checkin is hugely recommended. Be prepared that if you are connecting with Aer Lingus from Cork that they will probably try to charge you as well, but if booked on a single ticket via Singapore Airlines you should not have to pay. Argue the point and have paperwork to back yourself up with the green ladies.

Some middle eastern carriers will also double your baggage allowance if you join their frequent flyer club (this worked with Gulf Air previously, not sure what other carriers do it such as Etihad but its worth looking into).
Old 02-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Senior PROC Member

When I emigrated, I had one bag.

Now I own half of Bavaria.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:28 PM

I had a fiver in me pocket and me ol' dancing bag.

I still have the bag.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:07 AM

never heard dat but its worth checkin in an xtra bag. not much extra and u hav all your stuff from home.