tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
The Official Rugby World Cup thread - Page 95 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 23-10-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound View Post
The suggestions are not the point. The point I am making is that I'd prefer to see anyone in there rather than neuter Howlett. Payne is still playing despite having supposedly retired, isn't he? I'd prefer taking the risk at fullback when weighed against the advantage of Howlett at wing.
I disagree, especially so when the role of the FB is more important post-RWC what with the current fashion for Garryowens. Teams are making 15-20 yards because FBs seem to have forgotten how to catch (GM for example). Howlett knows the score with FB and can bring a lot to the role. That is way more than any of his competitors for the place. FFS, Deccie was putting MAFI in at FB against Viadana at one point. Payne was (and is) a fine player but expecting him to play a full HEC campaign at 36 is dangerous short-termism IMO. Moreover, he's been caught once or twice this year for position/speed when in previous years he wouldn't have. That's at ML/friendly level. HEC might be beyond him at this point. If Mossie Lawlor and Denis Hurley (gutted for them and JOS being injured when they had a cast-iron chance to impress) get back into contention then we can talk about Howlett on the wing. For now, he's our best option there.
Old 23-10-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer jay View Post
is that the mockumentary on FRAP's career as a proccer?
hehehe

nice
Old 23-10-2007, 11:34 AM

Another thought strikes me, Sound. In all honesty, who sees more of the ball given how Munster historically approach the game; Payne or Dowling?
Old 23-10-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangorFeen View Post
Another thought strikes me, Sound. In all honesty, who sees more of the ball given how Munster historically approach the game; Payne or Dowling?
And this is the nub of the discussion. The test arena is back playing 10 man rugby but Munster can already do that. Howlett, Lewis etc were bought to add something to what's already there. At least that was my take on it. You're absolutely right about the dearth of options at FB. But putting Howlett there is classic Munster conservatism and something I'd thought they'd moved on from. No argument that Howlett would be better than the rest in the position but he's so far ahead of anyone else at wing that that's where I'd put him and what I'd like to see.

The FB will definitely see more ball and Howlett can create but it's not his best attribute. He's a finisher and this is just blunting a sharp instrument IMO.
Old 23-10-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound View Post
And this is the nub of the discussion. The test arena is back playing 10 man rugby but Munster can already do that. Howlett, Lewis etc were bought to add something to what's already there. At least that was my take on it. You're absolutely right about the dearth of options at FB. But putting Howlett there is classic Munster conservatism and something I'd thought they'd moved on from. No argument that Howlett would be better than the rest in the position but he's so far ahead of anyone else at wing that that's where I'd put him and what I'd like to see.

The FB will definitely see more ball and Howlett can create but it's not his best attribute. He's a finisher and this is just blunting a sharp instrument IMO.
The lack of a solid, defensive FB will cost us games. If you remove a full back with a head on his shoulders then Dowling becomes a liability at wing. And we aren't overflowing with quality options there either (for the record, I like Dowling as a player but he needs to be constantly marshalled). A fine balance must be struck between devil-may-care risk taking and caution. Put simply, our group will be lost by the teams that blink first so IMO, conservatism has to be the way, at least until more, viable, options present themselves. giving the opposition a nice, obvious, weak link to aim for would be disastrous. Only the group winners will qualify from this group.

Your point about blunting Howlett is well made (Jason Robinson is a good analogue here) but for now, that's a restriction we are simply going to have to make shift with. IMO the back line as a unit is more solid with him at FB

PS - Lewis has been consistently poor in his stints in a Munster jursey to date and that's just in the position he's familiar with