tempobet Instagram Profiles
Is UCC Causing Cork city's Homeless Crisis? - Page 2 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 28-04-2019, 01:20 PM
Roxetten Roxetten is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulgorm View Post
Most of the student anti social behaviour is caused by students in private houses.

Students in purpose built apartment blocks are subjected to much tighter regulations by the owners/operators of the buildings.
Yes, that is the case alright.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 28-04-2019, 01:28 PM
Meridian Meridian is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: A better place
Posts: 7,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O'Reilly View Post
By over-expanding their campus in the city and increasing student numbers year after year, is UCC causing Cork city's homeless crisis? Discuss.
No.

The problem here started back in the mid 90's when Government policy at the time was to let the private sector look after the provision of social housing.
So we had people moving house and letting out their old one to people who would then avail of Social services to pay their rent.
That is how it all started.
UCC are in the process of now developing student accommodation themselves and as mentioned earlier this should have the effect of then realising homes that used to be let out to students, to become family type dwellings again.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 28-06-2019, 07:25 PM
Eye Pod Eye Pod is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxetten View Post
The more student accommodation is built the better as far as I'm concerned so that the houses around the campus can go back to being family homes. UCC should be forced to take a zero tolerance approach to student antisocial behaviour as a condition of expansion. They need to get their house in order in that regard.
Good post. UCC is now a business that is run for profit. Their regard for their customers is very limited.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 30-06-2019, 12:26 PM
ballhopping ballhopping is offline
PROC Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Pod View Post
Good post. UCC is now a business that is run for profit. Their regard for their customers is very limited.
Has been for years,maybe it has to be
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 30-06-2019, 04:15 PM
Idle Hour Idle Hour is offline
PROC Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Pod View Post
UCC is now a business that is run for profit.
Just not very well

UCC posts €2.8m net deficit despite boost from IMI acquisition (Examiner, Friday)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-07-2019, 03:03 PM
Drucker Drucker is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 13,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Pod View Post
Good post. UCC is now a business that is run for profit. Their regard for their customers is very limited.
What about their shareholders?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-07-2019, 04:54 PM
sloblock sloblock is online now
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 6,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxetten View Post
The more student accommodation is built the better as far as I'm concerned so that the houses around the campus can go back to being family homes. UCC should be forced to take a zero tolerance approach to student antisocial behaviour as a condition of expansion. They need to get their house in order in that regard.
But how would that work? UCC has no authority to arrest, prosecute or fine people.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-07-2019, 06:51 AM
Roxetten Roxetten is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloblock View Post
But how would that work? UCC has no authority to arrest, prosecute or fine people.
It can throw out unruly students, it can blacklist landlords whose houses are causing an ongoing nuisance. If you ask a local resident they can point out the houses where there is hassle every year.

For this to work students would have to give their rental address at the beginning of the year, there surely could be a list drawn up of approved accommodation in the area and a second list of blacklisted addresses.

Bear in mind that some landlords are making massive profits on the back of the shortage of student accommodation.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-07-2019, 12:15 PM
sloblock sloblock is online now
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 6,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxetten View Post
It can throw out unruly students, it can blacklist landlords whose houses are causing an ongoing nuisance. If you ask a local resident they can point out the houses where there is hassle every year.

For this to work students would have to give their rental address at the beginning of the year, there surely could be a list drawn up of approved accommodation in the area and a second list of blacklisted addresses.

Bear in mind that some landlords are making massive profits on the back of the shortage of student accommodation.
Students expelled for being unruly would be very likely to take to the High Court and win. You must know that.

What effect will blacklisting of landlords have? What does it even mean? Under the policies advanced by the government you support, homelessness is at record highs. Students will rent from whoever offers them accommodation.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-07-2019, 08:22 AM
Míshásta Míshásta is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chetwynde Downs
Posts: 1,110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O'Reilly View Post
By over-expanding their campus in the city and increasing student numbers year after year, is UCC causing Cork city's homeless crisis? Discuss.
By over-expanding their business in the city and increasing employee numbers year after year, is industry causing Cork city's homeless crisis? Discuss.
__________________
Uainn go léir anseo in #37 "Chetwynde Downs" - - - Slááán Tamall
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 07:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.