tempobet Instagram Profiles
Garda Commissioner Resigns - Page 3 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 25-03-2014, 03:05 PM
hans aus dtschl hans aus dtschl is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ratville
Posts: 4,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcork View Post
Off the top of my head;

Connor Lenihan called Turkish people 'Kebabs' - zero consequences.
Jim McDaid says people who take their own lives are 'selfish bastards' - zero consequences.

Alan Shatter is minister for justice while the Garda Commissioner (after 5 hours of questioning) makes an offhand remark about leaking the personal details of people who had penalty points quashed - he says its 'disgusting' to make public people's personal details public.

Now - you might agree that this warrants the Commissioner's resignation - but if you do - do not make any argument for data protection ever again,

But how the feck is shatter responsible for that?

Double standards all over again.
And Hitler killed a fuckload of jews and homosexuals but people in Germany didn't demand he resign.
Wait, what's your point? That because other government parties have gotten away with being incredibly corrupt, negligent and incompetent that FG should get away with stuff too? It's actually reprehensible that you would accept such a low moral aspiration of those in public office.

The better thing to do (and maybe even the easier thing to do) is accept a mistake and move on.
Shatter could well have prevented all of this trouble by doing virtually nothing, keeping the mouth shut, saying "I'll wait and review an independent report". But he can't help but to attack people: Pyrrhic victories one and all of them.
__________________
http://www.weekdaymix.com
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 25-03-2014, 03:15 PM
hans aus dtschl hans aus dtschl is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ratville
Posts: 4,360
Default

And on and on we go:
http://www.thejournal.ie/commission-...facebook_short
__________________
http://www.weekdaymix.com
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 25-03-2014, 03:16 PM
potala potala is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,826
Default

I wonder whats the latest news that gov say is of grave national concern? Prob f.all just more spin and deflection.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 25-03-2014, 03:21 PM
Bin Hex 12 Bin Hex 12 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 7,361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by potala View Post
I wonder whats the latest news that gov say is of grave national concern? Prob f.all just more spin and deflection.
The Government has learned that a system was in place in a large number of Garda stations whereby incoming and outgoing telephone calls were taped and recorded. The Government was informed of this new information at its meeting today.

As the matter is before the Courts, it is not appropriate to make any further comment on the specific case.

From the information available, the practice of making recordings was in place for many years and was discontinued in November of 2013. It is not yet clear why this practice was in operation.

The Government is extremely concerned about this information.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 25-03-2014, 03:24 PM
hans aus dtschl hans aus dtschl is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ratville
Posts: 4,360
Default

Presumably the concern here is whether people being investigated/arrested/etc had their solicitors' calls recorded?

To be fair, this on its own does not necessarily mean Shatter's head. Shatter may yet plead innocence/ignorance. Very little detail yet.
__________________
http://www.weekdaymix.com
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 25-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Bin Hex 12 Bin Hex 12 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 7,361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans aus dtschl View Post
Presumably the concern here is whether people being investigated/arrested/etc had their solicitors' calls recorded?

To be fair, this on its own does not necessarily mean Shatter's head. Shatter may yet plead innocence/ignorance. Very little detail yet.
Seems a bit odd to let the Commissioner retire and become a private citizen at almost exactly the same time.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 25-03-2014, 03:34 PM
potala potala is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,826
Default

Too many coincidences. I smell a dirty rat here. This drama is getting bigger by the day. Leaders questions might be fun.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 25-03-2014, 03:41 PM
Bin Hex 12 Bin Hex 12 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 7,361
Default

Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 25-03-2014, 04:04 PM
BlueSkies BlueSkies is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcork View Post
Off the top of my head;

Connor Lenihan called Turkish people 'Kebabs' - zero consequences.
Jim McDaid says people who take their own lives are 'selfish bastards' - zero consequences.

Alan Shatter is minister for justice while the Garda Commissioner (after 5 hours of questioning) makes an offhand remark about leaking the personal details of people who had penalty points quashed - he says its 'disgusting' to make public people's personal details public.

Now - you might agree that this warrants the Commissioner's resignation - but if you do - do not make any argument for data protection ever again,

But how the feck is shatter responsible for that?

Double standards all over again.
Yes, all of those people should have been sacked/forced to resign. ultimately it will be a good thing to demand higher standards from our elected representatives, regardless of party.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 25-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Revolution Cork Revolution Cork is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,668
Default

It is GUBU all over again
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 07:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.