tempobet Instagram Profiles
Copa America - Page 2 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 09-06-2011, 09:24 AM

Hard to know what to make of Argentina. On paper they are a game for anyone but it doesn't always translate into success. Their forward line alone could boast Messi, Tevez, Higuain, Diego Milito, Lavezzi and Aguero. This is one area I feel that they have a clear advantage over Brazil. Looking forward to seeing Pastore as well.

They seem to be always playing under a cloud, ie team selection, tactics, mad man of a manager. This time they are under suspicion from the authorities for losing a friendly to Nigeria 4-1. Lost 2-1 to Poland as well.

Notable absentees for Brazil - Willian, Marcelo & Anderson.

Keepers: Julio César (Inter Milan), Victor (Grêmio)
Wingbacks: Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Maicon (Inter Milan), André Santos (Fenerbahçe), Adriano (Barcelona)
Centrebacks: Lúcio (Inter Milan), David Luiz (Chelsea), Luisão (Benfica), Thiago Silva (Milan)
Midfielders: Ramires (Chelsea), Lucas Leiva (Liverpool), Sandro (Tottenham), Elano (Santos), Elias (Atlético Madrid), Paulo Henrique Ganso (Santos), Jadson (Shakhtar Donetsk), Lucas (São Paulo)
Forwards: Neymar (Santos), Robinho (AC Milan), Fred (Fluminense), Alexandre Pato (AC Milan)

Fred must be pushin on.

The core of that group have been around a while. Will be hard to beat. (understatement of the year)The midfield doesn't look as daunting as some of the Brazilian midfields of the past though.

48-0
Old 09-06-2011, 09:35 AM

Yeah, Argentina always seem to struggle. Normally enter tournaments with the best pool of players on paper, but rarely perform. Pekerman and Maradona destroyed them in the last two tournaments. I still think they miss Riquelme, who wouldn't. I forgot Pastore on my list, very big talent. Their attack was exactly the same last summer and it didn't do them much good, hopefully Batista is more intelligent during the tournament than Maradona displayed. That Nigeria game is very suspicious, although I didn't watch it. It was a third-string, would have loved to see Otamendi and Perotti in the final squad.

The thing which impresses me about Brazil is how strong they are defensively. Despite his recent troubles Cesar is still a top goalie. Then the four centre-backs Luisao, Silva, Lucio and Luiz are strong, although the latter has struggled a bit at Chelsea since leaving Benfica. He's very good on the ball, but I am not convinced on his tactical and positional discipline. Adriano and Alves are very strong full-backs/wing-backs, but Maicon has had a torrid season. Andre Santos looks good, played in the Confederations Cup but was dropped last summer. can't believe Marcelo was dropped, been the best LB in Europe for me this season.

They seem to have lots of holing midfielders - Ramires, Lucas and Sandro, who all have PL experience. Elias can play that role as well. Ganso, Elano and Jadson provide the attacking spark in midfield, and the younger Lucas i have heard good things about but rarely seen play, if ever. Is Michel Bastos not in the squad then?

One thing about their forwards is that I don't see an out-and-out centre-forward there, other than Fred. Pato, Neymar, and Robinho are your tricky wide type forwards, but don't appear to be major lead the line strikers. That's why I think they still miss Fabiano (the way he was performing up to the World Cup) and should have taken Nilmar, who can play as a wide forward but also as a main striker. I think Hulk should have been selected also, as I say, he's been immense for Porto this season.

Last edited by DWC; 09-06-2011 at 09:46 AM..
Old 09-06-2011, 05:07 PM

should be good watch
Old 09-06-2011, 05:09 PM

Location: Living in a candy jail Peppermint bars Peanut brittle bunk beds and marshmallow walls

Setanta showing games as well.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:16 AM

Not sure of the TV coverage over here as Fox haven't revealed their schedule but hopefully we will get some games. However the Gold Cup will get the bulk of coverage if they overlap. Need to check into it.

An interesting Brazil selection, it has to be said. On paper, Argentina have the strongest squad but that means sweet FA on the field, especially against Brazil. It will also be interesting to see how Uruguay do after the WC that they had. People may be expecting too much and they may flame out early.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:47 AM

hernandez bagged another 2 for mexico against cuba in the gold cup last night, bringing his international tally to 19 in 25 caps. that is a ferocious record.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:37 AM

talking about mexicans...5 of them have just been suspended for doping...they're blaming the meat they ate.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:10 PM

Location: Living in a candy jail Peppermint bars Peanut brittle bunk beds and marshmallow walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco 2005 View Post
talking about mexicans...5 of them have just been suspended for doping...they're blaming the meat they ate.
A lot of it going around.

Old 21-06-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
On next month, I really enjoy South American football, the CONMEBOL zone is my favourite region of World Cup qualifying.

Who do you fancy? Argentina are favourites playing at home, and Brazil obviously have a great chance especially if Ganso makes it, but Chile, Uruguay and Paraguay are teams I have always enjoyed watching also.

My bet for top scorer (at least outside of Argentina and Brazil) is Edinson Cavani. I'd like to see Falcao of Porto have a good tournament also as he has impressed me all season.
Thing is, Falcão always struggles to score for the national side. They don't seem in any way set up to get the best out his strengths, which is a pity. If ever there was a country in world football that is punching below its weight, it's Colombia.

Cavani's a great call, what are the odds?

For me it's easy to say that Argentina will be favourites, they look to be the most cohesive starting XI, are playing some great ball, and have so many options, and of course home advantage... but... but... but. They've disappointed in so many tournaments over the last 18 years where most of the above has been true that you'd be wary!

Ganso's looking a bit iffy from what I hear, in terms of initial fitness. Should be alright after the first couple of games if the reports are reliable. I like what Menezes is doing, but I'm really not sure the Indian sign they've had over the last 8 odd years will still be there if they meet the hosts.

Yerrah, fuck it, you'd have to stick with Argentina really. Ecuador are a side I would say could spring a surprise or two, except that their group is fucking evil.

Anyone know what the sca with Mexico is? Would I be right in saying they're sending a weakened squad because of the Gold Cup? I think that's how I heard it anyway. Either way, you'd have to reckon Uruguay and Chile are favoured to come out of that group. First and second there would respectively come up against the second-placed team in group A (let's say Colombia or Costa Rica, probably the former) and the runner up in B (most likely Paraguay), so both have a great chance of making the semis. Have a hunch Chile could be the best placed squad to upset the apple cart in the tournament as a whole.

I'm really looking forward to this competition anyway!
Old 21-06-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
Thanks mate, I should have posted the fixtures for convenience for people and to drum up interest.

Yep, there are a lot of South Americans playing in Europe, especially in places like Portugal, Ukraine, Spain. Neymar looks immense but apparently some Brazilians rate Ganso even more highly.

Group C is definitely the most competitive in my eyes, although Mexico are taking their young Olympic squad (omits Hernandez as he's playing in the Gold Cup and he would be exhausted) so that might have an effect. I expect Peru to come bottom, but possibly do better than most think, and Chile and Uruguay to just finish above Mexico, who will probably still qualify as one of the two best third-placers.

Can't see past Brazil and Paraguay in group B and Argentina and Colombia in A, on paper at least.
Ahhhh....

BTW, just earlier I read that Pizarro is out for Peru, so I'd round their chances of doing anything down on that news.