tempobet Instagram Profiles
Copa America - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 09-06-2011, 04:53 AM

Default Copa America

On next month, I really enjoy South American football, the CONMEBOL zone is my favourite region of World Cup qualifying.

Who do you fancy? Argentina are favourites playing at home, and Brazil obviously have a great chance especially if Ganso makes it, but Chile, Uruguay and Paraguay are teams I have always enjoyed watching also.

My bet for top scorer (at least outside of Argentina and Brazil) is Edinson Cavani. I'd like to see Falcao of Porto have a good tournament also as he has impressed me all season.

Last edited by DWC; 09-06-2011 at 05:37 AM..
Old 09-06-2011, 08:07 AM

Nobody interested? Perhaps interest will increase closer to the tournament commencing. I'm personally really looking forward to it. I am often up late at night as I have sleeping problems, so it will be great to have this to watch. The Gold Cup is on right now as well but it's not as alluring as the Copa.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:20 AM

Most people wil be interested in Brazil and Argentina but as has already been pointed out Uruguay especially will be worth watching.

Given the amount of south americans plying their trade in europe there won't be many unknowns or hidden gems. Haven't seen much of the much ballyhooed Neymar, should be worth a look.

Group stages

01-Jul-11 - Matchday 1 Group A Argentina - Bolivia
02-Jul-11 Group A Colombia - Costa Rica
03-Jul-11 Group B Brazil - Venezuela
03-Jul-11 Group B Paraguay - Ecuador
04-Jul-11 Group C Uruguay - Peru
04-Jul-11 Group C Chile - Mexico

06-Jul-11 - Matchday 2 Group A Argentina - Colombia
07-Jul-11 Group A Bolivia - Costa Rica
08-Jul-11 Group C Peru - Mexico
08-Jul-11 Group C Uruguay - Chile
09-Jul-11 Group B Brazil - Paraguay
09-Jul-11 Group B Venezuela - Ecuador

10-Jul-11 - Matchday 3 Group A Colombia - Bolivia
11-Jul-11 Group A Argentina - Costa Rica
12-Jul-11 Group C Chile - Peru
12-Jul-11 Group C Uruguay - Mexico
13-Jul-11 Group B Paraguay - Venezuela
13-Jul-11 Group B Brazil - Ecuador

48-0
Old 09-06-2011, 08:33 AM

Thanks mate, I should have posted the fixtures for convenience for people and to drum up interest.

Yep, there are a lot of South Americans playing in Europe, especially in places like Portugal, Ukraine, Spain. Neymar looks immense but apparently some Brazilians rate Ganso even more highly.

Group C is definitely the most competitive in my eyes, although Mexico are taking their young Olympic squad (omits Hernandez as he's playing in the Gold Cup and he would be exhausted) so that might have an effect. I expect Peru to come bottom, but possibly do better than most think, and Chile and Uruguay to just finish above Mexico, who will probably still qualify as one of the two best third-placers.

Can't see past Brazil and Paraguay in group B and Argentina and Colombia in A, on paper at least.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:47 AM

Who's got the TV rights for this? is that skysports?

I take it most of the games will be around midnight or 2-3am as usual.

I personnaly look forward to seeing Neymar and alexi Sanchez who i havent had the chance to see too often but read really good reviews about.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco 2005 View Post
Who's got the TV rights for this? is that skysports?

I take it most of the games will be around midnight or 2-3am as usual.

I personnaly look forward to seeing Neymar and alexi Sanchez who i havent had the chance to see too often but read really good reviews about.
ESPN in UK. They are showing every game.

Most games will be like around 7 or 8pm (for early kicks offs in Argentina), and then some late and in the early hours. I think Argentina is about four hours behind the UK in July. I checked the exact times not long ago but can't remember exactly. You can look on the official site, ESPN site, or wikipedia, which is always surprisingly accurate with football schedules.

Oh, and Sanchez has been one of my favourite players for a long time. I love him, probably my favourite player in the entire tournament outside of Argentina's (Messi, Aguero, Cambiasso, Zanetti, Di Maria). I have soft spots for Falcao (Colombia), Isla (also of Chile), the three forwards of Uruguay, and some of the Brazilians as well, though.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:59 AM

Wow, seen the finalised Brazil squad. Fred is in instead of Villarreal's Nilmar. I quite like Nilmar. Ganso has made the cut as well, seems to have beaten his injury issues.

There's no Hulk either, and obviously Kaka and Ronaldinho weren't in the prelim. squad.

Having seen the squad I think I fancy Argentina more.

Here is the fixture list, with UK times:

http://espntvuk.blogspot.com/2011/05/copa-america.html
Old 09-06-2011, 09:05 AM

Can't wait for this
Old 09-06-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIEG View Post
Can't wait for this
The Gold Cup is on right now but it's too one-sided for me. USA and Mexico run riot generally. I've seen a couple of matches but the standard is quite low.

Hopefully this will be much better because there's a lot of strong teams in CONMEBOL, and Mexico are good even though it's their Olympic squad. Costa Rica are one of the better nations on CONCACAF outside the USA and Mexico so hopefully they can do well in Copa. I would prefer it if Japan hadn't had to withdraw, however.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:16 AM

Also, technically you can watch almost as many games in this as the Euros...

There's 26 compared to Euros 31. However, the final section games don't kick off simultaneously in Copa, due to the third-place team rule. So you can watch all 26 games. You can only watch 5 technically in each Euros group. That's 20, plus the 7 KO matches = 27.