Cork Hurlers - Part 2 - Page 3489 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 18-07-2019, 11:26 AM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red&blue View Post
I agree Fin, it's easy to want to throw the baby out with the water after a loss but 12 months ago I felt we were so close, a couple of hard working ball winners at wing foward and I felt we would win this year.

We tried it in the Limerick league game and boy did it work. Dooley, Harnedy and Walsh totally dominated the much vaunted Limerick half back line and Hoggy and Lehane ran riot insidr. Kearney played as a third midfielder and was simply unmarkable and dominant.

I felt this was the system that would win us the all-ireland and that feeling remained with me until the night the team for the quarter final was announced and we went with one ball winner in the half foward line.

If Walsh was fit enough to be on the bench why wasn't he started and why was O'Mahony not started at 12? My heart sank when I saw Kearney, Meade and Lehane all start.

I said it 12 months ago and I'll say it again. Pick 2 ball winners alongside Harnedy and we can win the all-ireland.

No doubt we have problems in defence but like you I put alot of that down to how quick the ball comes back at them when they clear it. They are constantly under pressure and on the back foot.

This team as a group have a maximum of 2 years to win an all-ireland before Hoggy, Nash, Harnedy, McDonnell, Cooper, ECadogan and Kearney start heading for the sunset.

Let's show some balls and change and come back stronger next year (all in yellow helmets)😁

Rebels Abu

Spot on. My heart sank last Friday night when I saw the half-forward line that was announced. From what I saw the previous Sunday in Mullingar TOM had to start. Also Aidan Walsh seemed fine in the puck around before the match in Mullingar. Why not go for it? Be proactive instead of reactive. Give Cody & the Cats something to worry about, something they hadn't bargained for...

Even at half-time, we didn't go for it. We were 2 points up, in pole position. This was a beatable KK team, not saying they're bad or anything, but not a patch on the KK of 10 or so yrs ago. Alas...
Next year again! Hopefully learn from the mistakes
Old 18-07-2019, 02:00 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bushwacker View Post
🤔
Erm.. No.
While people here have made me welcome, I'm never going to be considered a malagueno.
For the record, I was born, raised and educated in Cork. I lived there until 2002 when I emigrated. However, neither my mother nor my father were from Cork so I was considered as a "blow-in".
If you apply the same criteria to Meyler, Tompkins, Halpin, Fahy and Culloty what do you get? In some cases it's stupid but it's the way it is in Cork.

''educated'' is a bit of a stretch.
Old 18-07-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunmore View Post
''educated'' is a bit of a stretch.
Ouch
Old 18-07-2019, 02:11 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
While MacDonnell was very poor in his distribution, I think he coughed up 3 scores from it, overall it needs to be measured against keeping TJ Reid scoreless from play. I think prior to the game if someone said that we'd someone who'd cough up only three scores from play to TJ Reid we'd have taken it
we would indeed Soundman and McDonnell has proved himself to be very good in a man-marking role multiple times. We could certainly carry one of these types of players for that purpose in a defensive unit but collectively when I looked at McDonnell, O Donoghue and Ellis last Sunday I saw 3 out of our 6 backs that were regularly coughing up possession costing scores and preventing our dangerous forwards from getting possession. People woudl say that Eoin Cadogan is not the best hurler but what he does is play it very simple using the hand pass a lot and he did this agein last Sunday so for me he used the ball well in possession. Coleman is very good on the ball and O' Leary looks promising and tidy. However 3 out of 6 is players being uncomfortable on the ball is not good enough for an IC defensive unit so that is where I was coming from rather than being specifically critical of McDonnell who did an excellent job on TJ as you said.
Old 18-07-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightHalfBack View Post
we would indeed Soundman and McDonnell has proved himself to be very good in a man-marking role multiple times. We could certainly carry one of these types of players for that purpose in a defensive unit but collectively when I looked at McDonnell, O Donoghue and Ellis last Sunday I saw 3 out of our 6 backs that were regularly coughing up possession costing scores and preventing our dangerous forwards from getting possession. People woudl say that Eoin Cadogan is not the best hurler but what he does is play it very simple using the hand pass a lot and he did this agein last Sunday so for me he used the ball well in possession. Coleman is very good on the ball and O' Leary looks promising and tidy. However 3 out of 6 is players being uncomfortable on the ball is not good enough for an IC defensive unit so that is where I was coming from rather than being specifically critical of McDonnell who did an excellent job on TJ as you said.
And kk had identified that - no coincidence that Fitz, Coleman, o’leary given very little space but SOD and mcdonnell were allowed to play the ball, knowing their distribution is weak. Millerick, Hennessy, Downey will change that.

I’m actually getting angrier the more the week has gone on - unlike in previous years where we were just a few heads short of putting it all together, this year the players were there.
Old 18-07-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelbaggie View Post
Apologies lads! Went on a long haul flight to the other side of the world after the match to visit family. Had a few too many beers obviously and then had to endure that ridiculous programme Love Island when I reached my son’s place. Distracted myself by logging in here to see if Meyler had gone and came out with that piece of wit.
Unfortunately you're probably right about Eddie Brennan. Earlier was thinking he was mad taking the Laois job, but what a great job he has done with them. The guy is straight up as well, no BS spoken by him when doing his punditry.

Great article here, https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/07...ture-in-laois/
Old 18-07-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory_Mike View Post
Unfortunately you're probably right about Eddie Brennan. Earlier was thinking he was mad taking the Laois job, but what a great job he has done with them. The guy is straight up as well, no BS spoken by him when doing his punditry.

Great article here, https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/07...ture-in-laois/
He had two bad years with KK 21s so his stock there has probably dipped a bit. He is a genuinely good guy though.
Old 18-07-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarlofPearl View Post
He had two bad years with KK 21s so his stock there has probably dipped a bit. He is a genuinely good guy though.
I'm sure a work transfer to Cork could be arranged! I think Shefflin is a shoe-in for the KK job, when Cody eventually goes?
Old 18-07-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory_Mike View Post
I'm sure a work transfer to Cork could be arranged! I think Shefflin is a shoe-in for the KK job, when Cody eventually goes?
DJ maybe.
Old 18-07-2019, 03:52 PM
PROC Member

Ideally we’d have Derek Mcgrath as manager. With Tom Kenny, Sean Óg, and maybe Ger Cunningham involved