tempobet Instagram Profiles
Cork Hurlers - Part 2 - Page 3489 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #34881  
Old 18-07-2019, 11:26 AM
Cocoroy Cocoroy is offline
PROC Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red&blue View Post
I agree Fin, it's easy to want to throw the baby out with the water after a loss but 12 months ago I felt we were so close, a couple of hard working ball winners at wing foward and I felt we would win this year.

We tried it in the Limerick league game and boy did it work. Dooley, Harnedy and Walsh totally dominated the much vaunted Limerick half back line and Hoggy and Lehane ran riot insidr. Kearney played as a third midfielder and was simply unmarkable and dominant.

I felt this was the system that would win us the all-ireland and that feeling remained with me until the night the team for the quarter final was announced and we went with one ball winner in the half foward line.

If Walsh was fit enough to be on the bench why wasn't he started and why was O'Mahony not started at 12? My heart sank when I saw Kearney, Meade and Lehane all start.

I said it 12 months ago and I'll say it again. Pick 2 ball winners alongside Harnedy and we can win the all-ireland.

No doubt we have problems in defence but like you I put alot of that down to how quick the ball comes back at them when they clear it. They are constantly under pressure and on the back foot.

This team as a group have a maximum of 2 years to win an all-ireland before Hoggy, Nash, Harnedy, McDonnell, Cooper, ECadogan and Kearney start heading for the sunset.

Let's show some balls and change and come back stronger next year (all in yellow helmets)😁

Rebels Abu

Spot on. My heart sank last Friday night when I saw the half-forward line that was announced. From what I saw the previous Sunday in Mullingar TOM had to start. Also Aidan Walsh seemed fine in the puck around before the match in Mullingar. Why not go for it? Be proactive instead of reactive. Give Cody & the Cats something to worry about, something they hadn't bargained for...

Even at half-time, we didn't go for it. We were 2 points up, in pole position. This was a beatable KK team, not saying they're bad or anything, but not a patch on the KK of 10 or so yrs ago. Alas...
Next year again! Hopefully learn from the mistakes
Reply With Quote
  #34882  
Old 18-07-2019, 02:00 PM
dunmore dunmore is offline
PROC Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bushwacker View Post
🤔
Erm.. No.
While people here have made me welcome, I'm never going to be considered a malagueno.
For the record, I was born, raised and educated in Cork. I lived there until 2002 when I emigrated. However, neither my mother nor my father were from Cork so I was considered as a "blow-in".
If you apply the same criteria to Meyler, Tompkins, Halpin, Fahy and Culloty what do you get? In some cases it's stupid but it's the way it is in Cork.

''educated'' is a bit of a stretch.
Reply With Quote
  #34883  
Old 18-07-2019, 02:02 PM
TheEarlofPearl TheEarlofPearl is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 12,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunmore View Post
''educated'' is a bit of a stretch.
Ouch
__________________
Originally Posted by One
If you disagree fair enough, spare me the personal attacks.
Reply With Quote
  #34884  
Old 18-07-2019, 02:11 PM
RightHalfBack RightHalfBack is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
While MacDonnell was very poor in his distribution, I think he coughed up 3 scores from it, overall it needs to be measured against keeping TJ Reid scoreless from play. I think prior to the game if someone said that we'd someone who'd cough up only three scores from play to TJ Reid we'd have taken it
we would indeed Soundman and McDonnell has proved himself to be very good in a man-marking role multiple times. We could certainly carry one of these types of players for that purpose in a defensive unit but collectively when I looked at McDonnell, O Donoghue and Ellis last Sunday I saw 3 out of our 6 backs that were regularly coughing up possession costing scores and preventing our dangerous forwards from getting possession. People woudl say that Eoin Cadogan is not the best hurler but what he does is play it very simple using the hand pass a lot and he did this agein last Sunday so for me he used the ball well in possession. Coleman is very good on the ball and O' Leary looks promising and tidy. However 3 out of 6 is players being uncomfortable on the ball is not good enough for an IC defensive unit so that is where I was coming from rather than being specifically critical of McDonnell who did an excellent job on TJ as you said.
Reply With Quote
  #34885  
Old 18-07-2019, 02:31 PM
morello morello is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightHalfBack View Post
we would indeed Soundman and McDonnell has proved himself to be very good in a man-marking role multiple times. We could certainly carry one of these types of players for that purpose in a defensive unit but collectively when I looked at McDonnell, O Donoghue and Ellis last Sunday I saw 3 out of our 6 backs that were regularly coughing up possession costing scores and preventing our dangerous forwards from getting possession. People woudl say that Eoin Cadogan is not the best hurler but what he does is play it very simple using the hand pass a lot and he did this agein last Sunday so for me he used the ball well in possession. Coleman is very good on the ball and O' Leary looks promising and tidy. However 3 out of 6 is players being uncomfortable on the ball is not good enough for an IC defensive unit so that is where I was coming from rather than being specifically critical of McDonnell who did an excellent job on TJ as you said.
And kk had identified that - no coincidence that Fitz, Coleman, o’leary given very little space but SOD and mcdonnell were allowed to play the ball, knowing their distribution is weak. Millerick, Hennessy, Downey will change that.

I’m actually getting angrier the more the week has gone on - unlike in previous years where we were just a few heads short of putting it all together, this year the players were there.
Reply With Quote
  #34886  
Old 18-07-2019, 03:17 PM
Gregory_Mike Gregory_Mike is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelbaggie View Post
Apologies lads! Went on a long haul flight to the other side of the world after the match to visit family. Had a few too many beers obviously and then had to endure that ridiculous programme Love Island when I reached my son’s place. Distracted myself by logging in here to see if Meyler had gone and came out with that piece of wit.
Unfortunately you're probably right about Eddie Brennan. Earlier was thinking he was mad taking the Laois job, but what a great job he has done with them. The guy is straight up as well, no BS spoken by him when doing his punditry.

Great article here, https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/07...ture-in-laois/
Reply With Quote
  #34887  
Old 18-07-2019, 03:23 PM
TheEarlofPearl TheEarlofPearl is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 12,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory_Mike View Post
Unfortunately you're probably right about Eddie Brennan. Earlier was thinking he was mad taking the Laois job, but what a great job he has done with them. The guy is straight up as well, no BS spoken by him when doing his punditry.

Great article here, https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/07...ture-in-laois/
He had two bad years with KK 21s so his stock there has probably dipped a bit. He is a genuinely good guy though.
Reply With Quote
  #34888  
Old 18-07-2019, 03:36 PM
Gregory_Mike Gregory_Mike is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarlofPearl View Post
He had two bad years with KK 21s so his stock there has probably dipped a bit. He is a genuinely good guy though.
I'm sure a work transfer to Cork could be arranged! I think Shefflin is a shoe-in for the KK job, when Cody eventually goes?
Reply With Quote
  #34889  
Old 18-07-2019, 03:38 PM
TheEarlofPearl TheEarlofPearl is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 12,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory_Mike View Post
I'm sure a work transfer to Cork could be arranged! I think Shefflin is a shoe-in for the KK job, when Cody eventually goes?
DJ maybe.
Reply With Quote
  #34890  
Old 18-07-2019, 03:52 PM
HurlingFan19 HurlingFan19 is offline
PROC Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 61
Default

Ideally we’d have Derek Mcgrath as manager. With Tom Kenny, Sean Óg, and maybe Ger Cunningham involved
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 03:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.