Harry Redknapp -wanker - Page 4 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 17-11-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinky View Post
How was it easier?

Those who took part had to win the league the previous year. they might have faced easier teams earlier, but they were under much more pressure in the latter stages. Realistically who do United have to beat to get through the group stages?
After the group stages is the equivalent to round 2 back in those days

Round 1 requires the dismantling of some poor Champions from some weak country

They have to play more than one or two good teams to win it outright as there are far more better teams left in the last 16 or last 8 (one of the drawbacks is these are often not even Champions or runners up in their leagues)

As you know, United and Celtic and won it when it was easier too, though it by no means undermines those achievements

Celtics achievement was particularly amazing

I don't think the teams of the 60's, 70's and 80's were under greater pressure in the later stages either; by the last 8 or last 4 i'd have it as an equal standard

PS-Spurs of 2010 have done nothing yet
Villa won the league and became the best team in Europe
Old 17-11-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinky View Post
How was it easier?

Those who took part had to win the league the previous year. they might have faced easier teams earlier, but they were under much more pressure in the latter stages. Realistically who do United have to beat to get through the group stages?
Eh, in the CL now you always have the best teams in europe, because you have the top 4 teams from the best leagues in europe.

Its a LOT harder to win now.

However, I much preferred the old way. THe group stages are a crock of shit now tbh.
Old 17-11-2010, 06:19 PM

Yup last 16 is much better but the first group stages have lots of crap teams and it is a bit of a procession generally

The format also keeps the big clubs in the $$$££££££$$$$$ and is not good for competition

The group stages are rarely memorable now, you will only really rarely get 3 top teams in it (Barca, Bayern and Man United had some good group clashes in 98 but it got expanded even more since)
Old 17-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin View Post

However, I much preferred the old way. THe group stages are a crock of shit now tbh.
yes indeed.

it's like the pre season friendlies before the league starts.

utterly meaningless. (with the odd exception. united 2005 going out in the group for example.)

btw, you coming down saturday?
Old 17-11-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD Langer View Post
yes indeed.

it's like the pre season friendlies before the league starts.

utterly meaningless. (with the odd exception. united 2005 going out in the group for example.)

btw, you coming down saturday?
Nah, staying up to go to the All Blacks game.
Old 17-11-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIEG View Post
Easier times

Villa used about 14 players those seasons and to win the comp only took about 5 wins

Unreal achievement for a provincial club though Villa had a decent team then Withe, Morley, Shaw, Cowans etc quality players
PROVINCIAL CLUB!!!!
(Where are Manchester United and Liverpool if not in the provinces to go by your description?)
Wash out your mouth with soap!
lol
Villa used exactly 14 players the season they won the league, by the way.
They were both worthy and deserved League and European Champions (not to mention winning the Super Cup.)
It's not an achievement to be denigrated.
"Easier times"?
Do me a favour!
The "Champions" League, the majority of whose teams are not actually champions, is a money-making racket and until the knock-out stages is as boring as listening to Brian Cowen read the death notices.
I deplore the "top four" emphasis in the English Premier League. Villa even fell for that hype a couple of seasons back and sent off a weak team to play in the UEFA Cup.
They were knocked out and never made the top four.
You can't put a "top four" award in the trophy cabinet and I would much prefer to have some silverware rather than merely "qualifying for Europe".
Old 17-11-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJ View Post
PROVINCIAL CLUB!!!!
(Where are Manchester United and Liverpool if not in the provinces to go by your description?)
Wash out your mouth with soap!
lol
Villa used exactly 14 players the season they won the league, by the way.
They were both worthy and deserved League and European Champions (not to mention winning the Super Cup.)
It's not an achievement to be denigrated.
"Easier times"?
Do me a favour!
The "Champions" League, the majority of whose teams are not actually champions, is a money-making racket and until the knock-out stages is as boring as listening to Brian Cowen read the death notices.
I deplore the "top four" emphasis in the English Premier League. Villa even fell for that hype a couple of seasons back and sent off a weak team to play in the UEFA Cup.
They were knocked out and never made the top four.
You can't put a "top four" award in the trophy cabinet and I would much prefer to have some silverware rather than merely "qualifying for Europe".
United are provinical too !!!

as are Cork City FC!

The 14 players thing is amazing, as is the Celtic achievment of a locally formed team

I agree about the top 4

Now you have teams spending millions to get to the top 4

Villa were a dubious ref's decision away from winning something last year and even aside from that have always been a good cup team who have competed for the league and come arguably closer to Liverpool to winning the Prem since it's been called that

Yeah O'Neill made a mistake that year with the UEFA Cup

The loss of key central defenders cost them dearly in last few years too

But things are looking up
Old 17-11-2010, 07:51 PM

I refuse to watch the champions league until the knockout stages now, too boring.
Old 17-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Eh, in the CL now you always have the best teams in europe, because you have the top 4 teams from the best leagues in europe.

Its a LOT harder to win now.

But those 4 teams from the best leagues would have had to battle it out over a season to get one spot in the European Cup. Surely the whole league season previously was geared to win the whole league before you could get to Europe. Now you can stumble your way to 4th.

I spose there's arguments for and against. I'd like to see what the quarter finals would have looked like the last 20 years if teams still had to win their leagues.
Old 17-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Nah, staying up to go to the All Blacks game.
shamefull carry on