Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 14-06-2019, 07:20 AM
Senior PROC Member

Default In an Irish context, what exactly is working class?

I mean, reporters mention working class areas and show places with local authority housing which I associate with welfare.

As far as I know everyone works unless they are on the dole, so what is working class?
Old 14-06-2019, 07:31 AM
Banned

Ironically I think that the a lot of the people usually described as working class don't even work.

Disadvantaged areas with high levels of unemployment and crime are often described as working class.

*waits for some gobshite to say "link?*
Old 14-06-2019, 07:59 AM

A combined household income of under 100k
Old 14-06-2019, 08:04 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorz View Post
Ironically I think that the a lot of the people usually described as working class don't even work.

Disadvantaged areas with high levels of unemployment and crime are often described as working class.

*waits for some gobshite to say "link?*
Exactly that is my understanding of it as well.

So is it just down to income in a household so?

The term working class so is wrong.
Old 14-06-2019, 08:54 AM
PROC Member

Class is a misleading term in itself. It implies the existence of social strata when in fact it is gradations of wealth. Mass media here tend to conflate the two.
Old 14-06-2019, 09:02 AM

It’s a bit like a stand in a stadium, it’s called a stand but you sit in it. So the name is opposite to what it actually is.
Old 14-06-2019, 10:12 AM

It's a very British thing I find. There is this need to classify each and everyone, probably in relation to where they think they stand themselves. "What do you do?" Is a common opening gambit by which your englander will start the analysis. The further north you go though the less they care.
Old 14-06-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube a Pringles View Post
It's a very British thing I find. There is this need to classify each and everyone, probably in relation to where they think they stand themselves. "What do you do?" Is a common opening gambit by which your englander will start the analysis. The further north you go though the less they care.
Agreed.

There is a tendency to try and impose our former colonial masters politics onto our political system here. People like Mick Barry mouth off about “Tory policies,” etc.

Divide and conquer. We are all the same. Which is probably why the attempts to adopt class politics here repeatedly fail.
Old 14-06-2019, 12:04 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
That makes perfect sense alright, we are indeed all the same and those of us who at a young age learned that if you want to get on in life,you work.
That is most of us, of course there as those who are gifted at claiming their entitlements in welfare payments and take the easy option.

Of course that easy option creates issues, of which the likes of moany Mick thrives on.

So should we change this " working class" term to something else and what would it be?

Welfare class?
Old 14-06-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
yup - utterly irrelevant nonsense

If money defines your status then draw lines wherever you like and knock yourself out. There are decent people and the rest in my mind. I know some extremely wealthy people who I would consider utter scumbags because of the way they deal with others and life in general. For some reason not honouring your debts seems to become more acceptable the further up the ladder you go because thats just, you know, business.. isn't it?

The ironic thing is its the likes of Speedy there who obsess with this shit as they clamber at the ladder due to their own insecurities.