tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
In an Irish context, what exactly is working class? - Page 2 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 14-06-2019, 12:42 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhonkaman View Post
yup - utterly irrelevant nonsense

If money defines your status then draw lines wherever you like and knock yourself out. There are decent people and the rest in my mind. I know some extremely wealthy people who I would consider utter scumbags because of the way they deal with others and life in general. For some reason not honouring your debts seems to become more acceptable the further up the ladder you go because thats just, you know, business.. isn't it?

The ironic thing is its the likes of Speedy there who obsess with this shit as they clamber at the ladder due to their own insecurities.
I have no insecurities, my point is, why are estates in which people who do not actually work, known as working class areas?

In a country where we do not have classes.

Just people who work hard and those who can not be arsed.
Old 14-06-2019, 01:06 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
I have no insecurities, my point is, why are estates in which people who do not actually work, known as working class areas?

In a country where we do not have classes.

Just people who work hard and those who can not be arsed.
Oh do shut up you tart. We have near full employment in this country again, which we do every time jobs are available.

Those hordes of welfare free loaders exist only in your head.

There’s a handful of people who won’t work and play the system. When you design a perfect system that nobody can cheat get back to me.
Old 14-06-2019, 01:06 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhonkaman View Post
yup - utterly irrelevant nonsense

If money defines your status then draw lines wherever you like and knock yourself out. There are decent people and the rest in my mind. I know some extremely wealthy people who I would consider utter scumbags because of the way they deal with others and life in general. For some reason not honouring your debts seems to become more acceptable the further up the ladder you go because thats just, you know, business.. isn't it?

The ironic thing is its the likes of Speedy there who obsess with this shit as they clamber at the ladder due to their own insecurities.
Great post.
Old 14-06-2019, 01:37 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post
Oh do shut up you tart. We have near full employment in this country again, which we do every time jobs are available.

Those hordes of welfare free loaders exist only in your head.

There’s a handful of people who won’t work and play the system. When you design a perfect system that nobody can cheat get back to me.
I will stick to what I do best, welfare fraud is for welfare inspectors to sort out, not me
Old 14-06-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
As far as I know everyone works unless they are on the dole, so what is working class?
'Working class' is Ray D'Arcy. There you go, end of thread. Do I win a prize?

Ray D’Arcy, the third eldest of nine, grew up in a council estate in Kildare town. He was an "old head on young shoulders", born with determination stitched into his DNA. "I don’t know where it comes from," he says. " The only thing I can think of is that I’m from a working class background and would have gone to school with people who were from the middle and upper class, rich people. So whatever they aspired to, you could too, but you had to work a little bit harder."

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/living/...ven-years-ago/
Old 14-06-2019, 05:32 PM

Those that think about class, or are that insecure that they blather on about class in the UK, are generally working class peasants.

Normal people don't give it a second thought.
Old 14-06-2019, 07:04 PM

I don't think this "working class" term means much outside of the cities. In my circle of friends and acquaintances, there is often a stepping up of job types with each generation. Ordinary labourers sons went to the tech and become tradesmen. Next generation may become tradesmen or their siblings go onto third level, some go as far as a masters and become professionals. Members of the various "classes" mix socially in the pubs and sporting organizations. There may be a certain number who join exclusive golf clubs or the RCYC and keep apart socially but in general there isn't much stratification.

In parts of Cork, Limerick and Dublin there doesn't seem to be the same interest in education as in smaller towns and rural areas. I think that's the important difference.

I don't know if that pertain everywhere, but 'tis my experience.
Uainn go léir anseo in #37 "Chetwynde Downs" - - - Slááán Tamall
Old 14-06-2019, 07:07 PM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan The Vegetarian View Post
Those that think about class, or are that insecure that they blather on about class in the UK, are generally working class peasants.

This.
Old 14-06-2019, 07:10 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:

Sure.

The U.K. doesn’t think about class.

House of Lords.

Old 14-06-2019, 07:17 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:

Missing the point entirely, no surprise though considering it is you.

It is a simple enough query, to put it simply so and in a Cork City context.

Knocknaheeney, Holyhill, Gurranbraher, Mayfield, Mahon, Togher, these areas of this city would be described as working class.

It however is a fact that unemployement has always been and will probably continue to be an issue in those areas.
Yes people from those areas work.

But so do people from Glanmire, Glounthaune, Shanakiel, Sundays Well, Waterfall, Bishopstown, Wilton, Glasheen, Douglas, Rochestown etc.

So everywhere is a working class area, so what is the point in the reference then?

Was it a fuck up by some clown in the media in this country following that silly system in the UK.