Password

Old 28-02-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fitzgerald View Post
Bought some akgs for the ol man Xmas before last
At about 250 reduced, throughly let down
But I've high standards since my grado rs snag
Off eBay
Haven't tried them, but heard they are fairly legendary, also quiet expensive, what did you snag them for ? They are well over 500 Euros normally, I think.
Old 28-02-2014, 02:57 PM

I got these on Thomann for home listening a while back. Very happy with them

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/headphones...view-50007773/

Good price on thomann.de from what I remember too.
Old 28-02-2014, 03:15 PM

I'm a big fan of the Sennheiser HD25-II. Genuinely the best headphones I've heard. Made in Ireland too. All user replaceable parts and I've seen them customized in many ways (different cable lengths, pads, colours etc). Seemingly indestructible too. Ticks all boxes, but I appreciate some people don't find them comfortable and the sound is relatively "true".

Sony are OK. Comfortable, but a little heavy. Too easy to break, considering the price: the jack connection breaks, the swivel part breaks.

I'm not a fan of the Beats at all. A little "plastic-y", no user replaceable parts, and the sound is only OK. They're not very comfortable due to their lack of moving parts: they won't fit ever head. I won't go as far as to call them "bad" headphones, but the price in no way reflects the quality. Depends what you're buying them for, though: most people buy beats to wear around their neck and in that respect they ARE worth the money - fashion has a price.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:49 PM

Ya HD25II have a very true sound, but press on the ears, Gives excellent isolation but hurts after 45 mins. And the spade connectors into the cans fail after 12 months.

The 251 are excellent. As I said, you can't go wrong with Sennheiser.

IMO Grado sound as good as Senn, but are a bit flimsy in comparison, and overpriced because they're imported from US. More comfortable to wear than HD25 though.

BTW Beats have a company address with an accountant's office in Clon, for tax avoidance. They don't make them there, LOL!
Old 03-03-2014, 02:25 PM

Got a gift of some Grado ones years back and they were immense but are sadly gone to tech heaven.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtheory View Post
Ya HD25II have a very true sound, but press on the ears, Gives excellent isolation but hurts after 45 mins. And the spade connectors into the cans fail after 12 months.

BTW Beats have a company address with an accountant's office in Clon, for tax avoidance. They don't make them there, LOL!
Correct, whereas I believe Sennheisers are actually made in Ireland. At least they have it written on them. Twice.

Yes the HD25II do press on the ears alright. I like that (they don't fall off), but I understand why others don't (prolonged listening). I havn't seen any problems with the spade connectors though, and have used a good few pairs. Seen it alright on their other models (not HD25).
Old 04-03-2014, 08:18 PM

It's a popular model with the students, and I've seen the connector fail in 50% of them. Including mine. Fix is easy but requires careful use of a pliers, and soldering eventually.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans aus dtschl View Post
Correct, whereas I believe Sennheisers are actually made in Ireland. At least they have it written on them. Twice.
yep, they have a manufacturing plant in Tullamore
Old 06-03-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtheory View Post
It's a popular model with the students, and I've seen the connector fail in 50% of them. Including mine. Fix is easy but requires careful use of a pliers, and soldering eventually.
Seems like a pain in the ass. Guess I've just been lucky then!
Old 10-03-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
Yeah, I only wear sennheiser, both for DJing and personal use.
A&h xd53's more durable and sound pretty much on a par.