tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
1959: The year that changed Jazz - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Music Forum
User Name
Password

Old 03-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Banned

Default 1959: The year that changed Jazz

Did anyone happen to catch this last night? It was on BBC 4. Basically, they examined the major 4 albums that were released that year and discussed the impact that they had within and beyond the jazz world.

The four albums were Time out by Dave Brubeck, The shape of jazz to come, Kind of blue by Miles Davis and Mingus Ah Um by Charles Mingus. It explored how the individual bands came together and what had influenced them in creating these work of arts.

This was the screen burb for it.

1959 was the seismic year jazz broke away from complex bebop music to new forms, allowing soloists unprecedented freedom to explore and express. It was also a pivotal year for America: the nation was finding its groove, enjoying undreamt-of freedom and wealth; social, racial and upheavals were just around the corner, and jazz was ahead of the curve.
Four major jazz albums were made, each a high watermark for the artists and a powerful reflection of the times. Each opened up dramatic new possibilities for jazz which continue to be felt: Miles Davis, Kind of Blue; Dave Brubeck, Time Out; Charles Mingus, Mingus Ah Um; and Ornette Coleman, The Shape of Jazz to Come.
Rarely seen archive performances help vibrantly bring the era to life and explore what made these albums vital both in 1959 and the 50 years since. The programme contains interviews with Lou Reed, Dave Brubeck, Ornette Coleman, Charlie Haden, Herbie Hancock, Joe Morello (Brubeck's drummer) and Jimmy Cobb (the only surviving member of Miles' band), along with a host of jazz movers and shakers from the 50s and beyond.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:40 PM

Location: Living in a candy jail Peppermint bars Peanut brittle bunk beds and marshmallow walls

That sound's really interesting Lofty.

Normally bbc4 repeat these things a few times so hopefully i will catch it again.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Banned

Yeah they are normally very good for that. If I see it on the schedule, I'll bump this
Old 03-01-2010, 04:47 PM

Location: Living in a candy jail Peppermint bars Peanut brittle bunk beds and marshmallow walls
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loftydog View Post
Yeah they are normally very good for that. If I see it on the schedule, I'll bump this
cool!
Old 03-01-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loftydog View Post
Did anyone happen to catch this last night? It was on BBC 4. Basically, they examined the major 4 albums that were released that year and discussed the impact that they had within and beyond the jazz world.

The four albums were Time out by Dave Brubeck, The shape of jazz to come, Kind of blue by Miles Davis and Mingus Ah Um by Charles Mingus. It explored how the individual bands came together and what had influenced them in creating these work of arts.

This was the screen burb for it.

1959 was the seismic year jazz broke away from complex bebop music to new forms, allowing soloists unprecedented freedom to explore and express. It was also a pivotal year for America: the nation was finding its groove, enjoying undreamt-of freedom and wealth; social, racial and upheavals were just around the corner, and jazz was ahead of the curve.
Four major jazz albums were made, each a high watermark for the artists and a powerful reflection of the times. Each opened up dramatic new possibilities for jazz which continue to be felt: Miles Davis, Kind of Blue; Dave Brubeck, Time Out; Charles Mingus, Mingus Ah Um; and Ornette Coleman, The Shape of Jazz to Come.
Rarely seen archive performances help vibrantly bring the era to life and explore what made these albums vital both in 1959 and the 50 years since. The programme contains interviews with Lou Reed, Dave Brubeck, Ornette Coleman, Charlie Haden, Herbie Hancock, Joe Morello (Brubeck's drummer) and Jimmy Cobb (the only surviving member of Miles' band), along with a host of jazz movers and shakers from the 50s and beyond.
Nice

Ashley Khans book on "Kind of Blue" is very good too
Old 03-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Banned

Joe Morello is still a fantastic drummer as well for any age nevermind his own
Old 03-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Boys Oh Boys Forum Users

Old 03-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Banned

Very...
Old 03-01-2010, 08:17 PM

hope this is on again.