Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 18-03-2019, 09:48 AM
dan ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
OK Chelt 2020 my choices PP prices
GC-Percy16/1(would love to see Tiger Roll in this-think with his jumping and stamina he could win even as a 10yo),
CH-Espor dAllen5/1,
CC-Altior3/1,
Ryan- Defi8/1,
SN- Envoi Allen20/1(12s for Ballymore),
Ark-Samcro(not listed),
Stay-Paisley 3/1

Would prefer to see Altior give the King George and then Gold Cup a crack than Tiger Roll. I'd say Samcro will go JLT or RSA.

Paisley Park could win a few stayers. Hard to see a weakness. Great option for a bet in running, his flat spot appears worse than Big Bucks.
Old 18-03-2019, 01:59 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
OK Chelt 2020 my choices PP prices
GC-Percy16/1(would love to see Tiger Roll in this-think with his jumping and stamina he could win even as a 10yo),
CH-Espor dAllen5/1,
CC-Altior3/1,
Ryan- Defi8/1,
SN- Envoi Allen20/1(12s for Ballymore),
Ark-Samcro(not listed),
Stay-Paisley 3/1
He'd want to start running soon if he's going to win an Arkle.

Tiger Roll is pushing it for a GC but I think you're right that they could have given him a go at something fancier than the bleeding FoxHunters or Cross Country or whatever it is.

Good point from Dan on the in-running with PP's flat spot. I've never gone into the exchanges, and don't plan to, but if you caught a mug laying it with 3 or 4 flights to jump ........

No comment.
Old 18-03-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmona View Post
He'd want to start running soon if he's going to win an Arkle.

Tiger Roll is pushing it for a GC but I think you're right that they could have given him a go at something fancier than the bleeding FoxHunters or Cross Country or whatever it is.

Good point from Dan on the in-running with PP's flat spot. I've never gone into the exchanges, and don't plan to, but if you caught a mug laying it with 3 or 4 flights to jump ........
I'm not sure what price Paisley Park hit in-running but the general punting public would be well aware of tendencies of such high profile horses and therefore might not make it as easy as you might think.
Old 18-03-2019, 02:17 PM
dan ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy O'Ranieri View Post
I'm not sure what price Paisley Park hit in-running but the general punting public would be well aware of tendencies of such high profile horses and therefore might not make it as easy as you might think.
He went to 3.95, so not huge but still always going to be better than his sp.
Old 18-03-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan ball View Post
I've always found it impossible to get on in running, unless when I'm wrong. Is there not a delay however slight in tv coverage?
Old 18-03-2019, 02:28 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Would prefer to see Altior give the King George and then Gold Cup a crack than Tiger Roll. I'd say Samcro will go JLT or RSA.

Paisley Park could win a few stayers. Hard to see a weakness. Great option for a bet in running, his flat spot appears worse than Big Bucks.
I don't get that really. Many's the great 2 miler hasn't moved up in distance. Moscow Flyer, Sprinter Sacre.... unless I'm mistaken with those two.

No comment.
Old 18-03-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's factoring everything in. Any mere mortal Horse would have been getting laid to fuck at much bigger. There's very little easy money to be had anywhere.
Old 18-03-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSensible View Post
I've always found it impossible to get on in running, unless when I'm wrong. Is there not a delay however slight in tv coverage?
I very rarely bet in-running but I've come across some folks who

(i) Flag, based on style & past performances, horses as good "lay to back" or "back to lay" candidates

(ii) Work on the % profit they are aiming for

(iii) Set up both legs (lay & bet) in advance the race, using a set of stakes & odds based on the % profit

Tried it once with small stakes, just for sh1ts & giggles - but don't think I'd be brave enough to tackle it with big money.

Any particular risks with doing this with big stakes? I expect market liquidity could bite you for lower profile races.
Old 18-03-2019, 03:01 PM

Might give the KG a crack but then go back for Champion chase, Gold Cup too much of a slog I´d say. Agree Samcro may go for a longer distance. A horse who is so highly regarded and has a poor season can always bounce back.
Old 18-03-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philby View Post
I very rarely bet in-running but I've come across some folks who

(i) Flag, based on style & past performances, horses as good "lay to back" or "back to lay" candidates

(ii) Work on the % profit they are aiming for

(iii) Set up both legs (lay & bet) in advance the race, using a set of stakes & odds based on the % profit

Tried it once with small stakes, just for sh1ts & giggles - but don't think I'd be brave enough to tackle it with big money.

Any particular risks with doing this with big stakes? I expect market liquidity could bite you for lower profile races.
Absolutely. The market won't always behave the way you expect it to and, like any trading, getting one wrong can cancel out getting a load right, or worse.

You'd need to be good at spotting the warning signs of things going against you and get out without too much damage. Not being stubborn in those situations is incredibly difficult.