Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 19-09-2013, 02:55 PM

OK so, looking to integrate replacements for Dunne and Keane...

Westwood

O'Shea (RB)
Dunne
Clark
Wilson

Coleman
McCarthy
Gibson

McGeady
Keane
Stokes
Old 19-09-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy O'Ranieri View Post
Stokes is probably our brightest prospect
He has one decent CL outing and Stokes is the saviour now is he? Shouldn't he have to earn his place in the team?

So it was Coleman, or McClean, or Long, or whoever, but they're in the team now and we were worse than the previous campaign, but Stokes is going to turn it around even though he's 25 and never made an impact. This is the problem with you lot who think we should be qualifying for every tournament. These new guys just aren't good enough. The sooner everybody understands that the better.
Old 19-09-2013, 04:29 PM

LoLz. Nice try.
Old 19-09-2013, 04:41 PM

Genuinely though, is Stokes going to bring more than Long (even in his current poor form)?

Ireland are so anaemic in attack I think it would be interesting to try out Coleman in midfield, but the Orient Express turns faster than John O'Shea these days, I wouldn't like to see him at right back.

If a right back could be found, McGeady and Coleman on the same side could be good because Coleman overlaps so well and McGeady's instinct would be to take it inside and create that overlapping space.

Also I can't believe you've left out Wes H.
Old 19-09-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengrass View Post
Can't really be looking to the future and including Dunne and Keane imo.
They'll be nearly 37 and nearly 36 when the tournament starts. Neither are playing at the top level any more.

Andrews will be nearly 36, and the same goes for him.

John O'Shea will be 35.

Glenn Whelan and Aidan McGeady will both be the wrong side of 30.

We've a good stock of average centre-mids - Gibson, McCarthy, Pilkington, Ireland - but Hoolahan could be past it by then as well, 34
Old 19-09-2013, 04:51 PM

matt doherty at wolves is the only RB coming through that i can think of, but i would keep coleman at right back and give pilkington/mcgeady the right wing berth. i would go with something like

westwood

coleman
o'shea
clark
wilson

pilks/mcgeady
mccarthy
gibbo
brady/hoolaz

long
keane/stokes

problem is that midfield looks very lightweight. you'd need to ask mccarthy to sit in front of the back four, not sure he's up to it. in some ways i could see mcclean at left back because defensively he is ok in terms of tackling but he probably hasn't the discipline/positional sense. having wilson in midfield might give us a bit of steel.
Old 19-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Senior PROC Member

Looking at those names there lads, we won't be doing a big tournie Quarter Finals for a while!! Lucky I was alive and around for 1988/90.

No comment.
Old 19-09-2013, 04:57 PM

Stokes has been directly involved in a hell of a lot of goals for Hibs and Celtic for the last four and a bit seasons. Now, maybe Long could do that too if he played in the SPL, but it's worth having a look at Stokes at least. He may be marginally (or even a lot) better than Long at finishing.

Hoolahan wasn't even on the bench for Norwich against Spurs, plus he's 31. It's not looking bright for him at the moment.
Old 19-09-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve sanders View Post
matt doherty at wolves is the only RB coming through that i can think of, but i would keep coleman at right back and give pilkington/mcgeady the right wing berth. i would go with something like

westwood

coleman
o'shea
clark
wilson

pilks/mcgeady
mccarthy
gibbo
brady/hoolaz

long
keane/stokes

problem is that midfield looks very lightweight. you'd need to ask mccarthy to sit in front of the back four, not sure he's up to it. in some ways i could see mcclean at left back because defensively he is ok in terms of tackling but he probably hasn't the discipline/positional sense. having wilson in midfield might give us a bit of steel.
Yes, and that's compounded by the fact that we've got no CBs that are above average. If we suddenly want to start playing football then this area of the pitch is something that has to be solid. Trapattoni generally got this right in the pre-Euro 2012 days and that's why I defended him.
Old 19-09-2013, 05:15 PM

maybe wilson could slot into the middle and joey o'brien play left back. he plays there week in week out for west ham. if that happens though one of GIBBO or mccarthy has to drop out.

i guess we could try 4-5-1 but keane can't play up there by himself, which leaves long, who can't score...