tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
official ireland euro 2016 campaign thread - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 13-09-2013, 10:39 AM

Default official ireland euro 2016 campaign thread

time to move.

http://greenscene.me/2013/09/euro-20...g-predictions/

seems to me if we overcome kazakhstan we will be in pot 2, as france automatically qualify. of course that all depends on results elsewhere and so on.

that would certainly make our path easier (at least make it easier to finish 3rd and get a playoff). that said there are half decent teams in every pot bar the last - and even there, the much feared cyprus lay in wait.

brazil was too far away anyway lads.

the draw is in feb.
Old 13-09-2013, 10:45 AM

Pot two would be lovely. We'd actually be seeded to qualify seeing as the tournament is extended.
Old 13-09-2013, 01:46 PM

it seems PLATS is intent on changing the whole qualifying process so it's all up in the air.

http://www.football-rankings.info/20...to-change.html

regarding playoffs results, i think turkey and norway are the dangers (edit: to our pot 2 status), with montenegro, austria and romania bit too far back, assuming we beat kazakh. unsure though.

Last edited by steve sanders; 13-09-2013 at 02:35 PM..
Old 13-09-2013, 02:53 PM

Even if we finish 4th in our group,we still make pot 2 for euro 16? Seems unlikely !
Old 13-09-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengrass View Post
Even if we finish 4th in our group,we still make pot 2 for euro 16? Seems unlikely !
it's results that count.

it looks like i may be wrong in any case, as there is an extra team in pot 2 to accomodate france already being qualified.

sorry there lads. pure merrion square of me.
Old 13-09-2013, 04:31 PM

Think we need Norway, Slovakia and Turkey to each drop points in their remaining two group fixtures. If any of the three win their last two, they would displace us into the third seeds.

Norway have Slovenia (a), Iceland (h).
Slovakia have Greece (a), Latvia (a).
Turkey have Estonia (a), Netherlands (h).

Assuming we beat the Kazakhs and lose to Germany.
Old 13-09-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shez1987 View Post
Think we need Norway, Slovakia and Turkey to each drop points in their remaining two group fixtures. If any of the three win their last two, they would displace us into the third seeds.

Norway have Slovenia (a), Iceland (h).
Slovakia have Greece (a), Latvia (a).
Turkey have Estonia (a), Netherlands (h).

Assuming we beat the Kazakhs and lose to Germany.
Good chance of that happening, Also Van Gaal will be expected to get a result against Turkey as he's been under slight pressure due to average displays against Estonia and Andorra.
Old 19-09-2013, 09:35 AM

Location: Living in a candy jail Peppermint bars Peanut brittle bunk beds and marshmallow walls

Gibson will be available for selection. Fwiw he should have came back and given it a few games for WCQ and if the situation remained the same then made himself unavailable.

Darron Gibson has revealed the reasons he could not play for Giovanni Trapattoni.

The Everton midfielder has not wished to be included in an Ireland squad since the European Championships in 2012 and has now given his story why.

Speaking to The Irish Examiner, Gibson has given his side of the story and hopes to be welcomed back to the Irish squad at some point.

“If the fans read this interview and you put it in the paper the way I have said it and they still disagree with me, then I will just have to deal with it,” he says.

“But once they have read what I have had to say — because they have not heard it before — I think everything should be alright.

“Believe me, I have been thinking about (getting it off my chest) for a long time but I did not want to disrespect the manager and say anything about him so I just kept quiet. It was difficult. There were a few times I nearly bit back and said something but I knew if I said one thing that I would have to say everything which I did not really want to do. I did not want to cause any trouble or any fuss. I was going to keep quiet until he left.”

With Trapattoni gone, Gibson now feels free to speak his mind on the matter.

“To be honest with you, I was embarrassed when I came back from the Euros,” he says. “Not winning a game and not getting on the pitch. I was playing every week at the time for Everton and we finished in the top seven of the Premier League. I didn’t get on and I just felt he had some sort of problem with me. Like I said, I didn’t want to make a big deal about not playing under him so I kept quiet but I am available to come back now.”

Gibson says he was under no illusions of playing the first game against Croatia but, by the time of the dead rubber match against Italy, he simply couldn’t understand why he wasn’t given even a run-out.

“Do you know what, I went to the Euros not expecting to start as I thought the lads who went all the way through the qualifiers playing deserved their chance,” he says.

“Whelan and Andrews, I knew they would start and I was fine with that but I expected to get on the pitch at some stage.

“Playing Italy, we were basically out. I thought he would change it and give the lads who didn’t play a chance as we had been there for four weeks. And it didn’t happen. I do regret not playing (for Ireland since) but, like I said, I was embarrassed and angry I didn’t get on the pitch for even a second at the Euros. I felt I couldn’t come back and play for him again. The team not doing well and me playing every week for Everton and not getting anywhere near getting a game. I felt embarrassed for myself.

“If you have a player playing for a Premier League team that finishes in the top seven and you have someone — I don’t want to show any disrespect to Paul Green — but he had been released from his club and he got on the pitch and I didn’t; there was obviously something wrong.”

“He brought me in a week early with the Championship players,” he says. “I’ll not lie to you, I’ll tell you the truth: I said I didn’t want to come in a week early because none of the other Premier League players were coming in. He asked two other Premier League players to come in, which I’ll not name, and they both said no as well. He let them two stay off for the week but he said to me if I don’t come in, he’s leaving me out of the squad for the Euros. There must have been a problem before going to the Euros. There must be a problem, he’s not liked me for something that has happened.

“Do you know what? After the Spain game when I didn’t get on, I pulled him (aside) and said, ‘Listen, is there a problem? Is there a reason I’m not playing?’

And the exact words he said to me were: ‘You’re young.’ And that was it. And he walked off and didn’t give me any other reason.”

On the Italy snub.

“I don’t know what he was thinking,” he reflects. “I thought I should have got on the pitch for a minute at least, and if I had got on the pitch I would still have been raging but I would have come back.”

On Trapattoni’s invitation to return for the World Cup campaign.

“At first it wasn’t a difficult decision to make because I was that angry,” he says.

“When he first asked me to come back in, I said no straight away. But as I was watching the games, each game, I was thinking to myself maybe I should have gone back. I do regret it. But I stuck to my guns. I didn’t want to play under him again.”

David Moyes thoughts.

“He was disappointed in me not going back. He wanted me to go back. I said to him, ‘It’s my decision and I don’t feel I can go back and play under him’. And he said, ‘I’m 100% behind you’.”

Roberto Martinez’s thoughts.

“He spoke to me about the Ireland situation and I told him,” says the 25-year-old. “He said to me that I should play international football and I said, as soon as the manager goes, I’ll be back.”

Will he play again if selected.

“Yeah, If I’m called up, I’ll come straight back in,” he says. “I would love to do that more than anything but we’ll see. I would love to be involved in the next two games to be honest but it’s not my decision. I’ll speak to whoever at the FAI and make myself available again and we’ll see what happens.”

Asked if he thinks other Irish players might have issues with his return.

“I hope not. I don’t think there will, to be fair, they’re all good lads. There might be a few words but it might be just banter. If new manager comes in, and he has a problem, I’ll tell him the reason why I’ve come back. If he doesn’t agree, there’s nothing I can do. The fans? We’ll see what happens. If I get booed, I’ll have to deal with it. I think that’s what obviously the majority of the fans felt: that I didn’t want to play for Ireland, which wasn’t the case. I did want to play for Ireland but, like I said before, after what happened, I didn’t feel like I could play for him anyway.”

And, finally, would he expect a reaction from Trapattoni to this interview? “Nah, not really, no, I’ve not said anything bad about him, to be honest,” says Gibson. “I’ve not disrespected him in any way. If he wants to say something, he can say whatever he wants — but I don’t think he’s got much to say.”

So who would Gibson like to see in charge?

“Martin O’Neill is a strong favourite for it,” says his fellow Derryman. “I think he’d be quite good, he’s experienced and I think he’d get on quite well with all of the lads.

“He’s supposed to be really good one on one with players. Obviously, Sheasy (John O’Shea) says he’s a good manager but I’ve not really spoken about it that much to be honest.

“The Derry connection? It has no relevance, he will pick the best players, or the players he thinks will suit the team best. He might understand me a bit better but that’s about it.”

And what of Keane? “I don’t mind who gets the job and Roy would be quite good. I’m not sure how some of the fans would react after what he’s done — he’d take a bit of the attention from me (laughs).

“He’d be good but I am sure the FAI will pick the right manager.”
Old 19-09-2013, 10:43 AM

This guy is deluded.
Old 19-09-2013, 10:48 AM

Location: Living in a candy jail Peppermint bars Peanut brittle bunk beds and marshmallow walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengrass View Post
This guy is deluded.
He has a point. If Trap was a good manager he would have sat him down and told him why he did not play him like any decent manager would do.

Also the other 2 premier league players did not seem to be given the ultimatium show up two weeks early or your not in the squad.