Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 25-07-2012, 07:55 PM

Great start for the organisers. Displaying the South Korean flag instead of North Korea😄😄😄
Old 25-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
Looking forward to it now, always enjoy watching the gymnastics and the swimming. The 100m athletics should be epic as well.
The 200 will be the epic---watch the other little Jamacian!
Old 25-07-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an liathroid beag View Post
The 200 will be the epic---watch the other little Jamacian!
4 fastest men on the planet in the 100 though, I reckon Blake might edge it.
Old 25-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
4 fastest men on the planet in the 100 though, I reckon Blake might edge it.
If Blake wins the 100---he will definitely go on and win the 200 and he will probably have to break the world record to do so --and the 200 is one of the great world records and before Bolt it was thought that Michael Johnsons would stand for years if not for ever!
Old 26-07-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
London 2012 Olympics: North Korea women footballers protest over flag gaffe
North Korea's Olympic women's football team walked off the pitch for an hour at their opening London 2012 match tonight after organisers mistakenly introduced the players using South Korea's flag.

Just four hours after the first action of London 2012, the Games saw its first gaffe when the electronic scoreboard at Hampden Park displayed the South Korean flag ahead of North Korean women’s football match against Colombia.

The entire team left the pitch in protest when they saw the wrong flag next to their names on the screen.

The match had been due to start at 7.45pm but there was a delay of at least an hour while the mistake was corrected. The game eventually kicked off shortly before 9pm.

Announcers at the stadium apologised for the delay and said there was “an issue behind the scenes”.

There were reports that fans had booed while others walked out after being kept waiting.

Before the match, Scottish Secretary Michael Moore said: “The Olympics is of huge importance and the fact Hampden will be front and centre as the world turns it attention to the UK is great news for Glasgow and Scotland as a whole.

“The Olympics is our chance to show the world what we are capable of as a nation and the hard work of people across the country is helping ensure the success of the Games.

“I am looking forward to watching the game and hearing the first-ever Olympic roar at Hampden later today.”

North Korea is no stranger to Olympic controversies. In 1964, the nation withdrew from the Olympics after the IOA banned countries that took part in the 1963 Games of the New Emerging Forces.

The country also boycotted the 1988 Games after being snubbed as co-hosts for the Seoul Games.

A Locog spokesman said: “Today ahead of the Women’s football match at Hampden Park, the South Korean flag was shown on a big screen video package instead of the North Korean flag.

"Clearly that is a mistake, we will apologise to the team and the National Olympic Committee and steps will be taken to ensure this does not happen again.”

This could only happen in Glasgow

48-0
Old 26-07-2012, 12:02 PM

North Korea V South Korea in the table tennis first round.

Things just got interesting!
Old 26-07-2012, 12:07 PM

Location: Living in a candy jail Peppermint bars Peanut brittle bunk beds and marshmallow walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapsy Pa View Post

This could only happen in Glasgow
Olympic officials in London are to blame for a flag row which jeopardised a women's football game at Hampden Stadium in Glasgow, it has emerged.

The North Korean women's team walked off after a video introducing their players showed the South Korean flag. They later returned to play the match.

BBC Scotland understands the video package was sent from London and Hampden organisers had no input.

Prime Minister David Cameron said it was "an honest mistake".

In a news conference on the eve of the opening ceremony of the Games, he told assembled journalists: "This was an honest mistake, honestly made.

"An apology has been made and I'm sure every step has been taken to ensure these things don't happen again.

"We shouldn't over-inflate this episode - it was unfortunate, it shouldn't have happened and I think we can leave it at that."

BBC Scotland's Olympics correspondent Kheredine Idessane said: "These video packages are sent centrally from London, out to the other venues, so, this isn't a Glasgow problem.

"There were the correct North Korean flags flying in the top tier of the stadium where they have all the flags displayed from countries who are competing in the tournament."

The North Korean team could only be persuaded to return for their match against Colombia after the error was corrected.

As yet the London games organisers have been unable to clarify who made the video.

The blunder had the impact it did because of the situation which exists between both Koreas.
North Korean team at Glasgow hotel Members of the North Korean Olympic team are staying at a Glasgow hotel

Both countries are still technically at war after the 1950-53 conflict ended in an armistice.

Speaking after the match, North Korea's coach Sin Ui Gun said: "Our team was not going to participate unless the problem was solved properly."

A statement released by London 2012 organisers said: "Ahead of the women's football match at Hampden Park, the Republic of Korea flag was shown on a big screen video package instead of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea flag.

"Clearly that is a mistake, we will apologise to the team and the National Olympic Committee and steps will be taken to ensure this does not happen again."

The incident made headlines around the world - except in communist controlled North Korea.

State news agency KCNA reported the women's Olympic football team beating Colombia 2-0 but made no mention of the flag row.
Old 26-07-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelred View Post
North Korea V South Korea in the table tennis first round.

Things just got interesting!
Shit just got real
Old 26-07-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIEG View Post
Shit just got real
it's ON!
Old 26-07-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymcnulty View Post
Great start for the organisers. Displaying the South Korean flag instead of North Korea😄😄😄
It must have been Seoul destroying for them.