tempobet Instagram Profiles
the official ireland euro 2012 qualifying campaign - Page 3 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 16-08-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exileonpatrickstreet View Post
fair enough, although i'd rank slovakia as far more technically able than us
Yeah they have some good players

I agree we are too defensive in certain games and that Paris was played with a good attacking attitude

Even an old head like Trap is always learning so fingers crossed
Old 16-08-2010, 09:16 PM

We'll never have a better chance at winning a group
Old 16-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayons O'Neil View Post
We'll never have a better chance at winning a group
Be jayzus, that's a fairly sweeping statement, isn't it? Like, we have a fair chance of winning it or coming second, but we've got an arguably weaker squad than even Staunton had. Slovakia and Russia are rightly ranked above us.
Old 16-08-2010, 11:03 PM

Russia will probably top the group with ourselves and Slovakia battling it out for second. I'm not hugely confident. We couldn't beat Italy (while Slovakia could) or France at home (largely due to Trap's tactics IMO) and we know what a shambles both of them were. Remember, for all the hand of Henry furore, we actually lost to them in Croke Park. Now, our lads are two years older and the likes of Keane and Duff (and Kilbane, god help us) are past their best. It'll be a tough slog.
Old 16-08-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers View Post
Be jayzus, that's a fairly sweeping statement, isn't it? Like, we have a fair chance of winning it or coming second, but we've got an arguably weaker squad than even Staunton had. Slovakia and Russia are rightly ranked above us.
no we have a good team. there good teams aswell but i could see us taking them. neither of them are as good as people are making out.
Old 17-08-2010, 07:46 AM

I think a lot of people are overlooking Macedonia.

48-0
Old 17-08-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapsy Pa View Post
I think a lot of people are overlooking Macedonia.
i dont think we are, but we have to expect beat the likes of them. there is just 2 million population and a very average league there

we have generally done quite well against the likes of these teams in the past, beating them in dublin and getting at least a draw away, the 2 draws against montenegro last time were not good enough though and i still havent forgotten the fuckin macedonian late goal in 99 that killed that campaign, but that was bad management more than anything else. We have the right man in place and that wont happen now.
Old 17-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayons O'Neil View Post
no we have a good team. there good teams aswell but i could see us taking them. neither of them are as good as people are making out.
I don't see us getting any points in Russia, although we could feasibly beat them in Landsdowne. As someone rightly pointed out, the way we are set up is for a team looking to come second, rather than win outright.
Old 17-08-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by de mange View Post
i dont think we are, but we have to expect beat the likes of them. there is just 2 million population and a very average league there

we have generally done quite well against the likes of these teams in the past, beating them in dublin and getting at least a draw away, the 2 draws against montenegro last time were not good enough though and i still havent forgotten the fuckin macedonian late goal in 99 that killed that campaign, but that was bad management more than anything else. We have the right man in place and that wont happen now.
Much like ourselves they have a very average league but their best players play abroad ie. Pandev and Popov

I expect them to give Russia and Slovakia a tough time of it as well

48-0
Old 17-08-2010, 09:40 AM

i'm hoping the move to russia will improve mcgeady. i know the celtic fans on here think he's great but he has consistently underperformed for ireland (to the point where he lost his place). perhaps a change of environment will make him kick on.

or, of course, it could be a disaster.

has celtic's interest in lawrence cooled?

Last edited by steve sanders; 17-08-2010 at 10:04 AM..